Abba Father

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 25, 2004
      I believe Jesus (Son of God) said "Abba" Father 3 times in the NT.

      What do you think abba or Abba means for Christ to use it with
      father (God the father).

      Seems he's emphazing he's not God (as part of trinity believing)
      or "God the Son" which isn't in the bible that way; Son of God.

      John 20/17.. tell the bretheren...
    • St. Tikhon's Sem Library
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 25, 2004
        He's calling God his father, confirming that he is his Son.
        (BTW, "Abba" does not mean "Daddy" -- at least according to an article about it in the Journal of Theological Studies)

        On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:30:11 -0000, Dave wrote:

        >I believe Jesus (Son of God) said "Abba" Father 3 times in the NT.
        >
        >What do you think abba or Abba means for Christ to use it with
        >father (God the father).
        >
        >Seems he's emphazing he's not God (as part of trinity believing)
        >or "God the Son" which isn't in the bible that way; Son of God.
        >
        >John 20/17.. tell the bretheren...

        Juvenaly, Asst. Librarian
        St. Patriarch Tikhon Library
        St. Tikhon's Orthodox Theological Seminary
        Box 130 / St Tikhon's Road / So Canaan PA 18459-0130 USA
        570-937-3209, "-3103, or "-4411 ext 21
        fax 570-937-3209; if no answer 570-937-3100
        http://www.stots.edu/library.htm
        library@...
      • tmcos@canada.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 25, 2004
          David, "Abba" is an Aramaic word which simply means
          "father". The issues of Trinitarian theology are beyond
          the scope of this list unless you wish to discuss it
          "offlist". Best,

          Tony Costa

          On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:30:11 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

          > I believe Jesus (Son of God) said "Abba" Father 3
          times
          > in the NT.
          >
          > What do you think abba or Abba means for Christ to use
          > it with
          > father (God the father).
          >
          > Seems he's emphazing he's not God (as part of trinity
          > believing)
          > or "God the Son" which isn't in the bible that way;
          > Son of God.
          >
          > John 20/17.. tell the bretheren...

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 25, 2004
            Thanks for answering you two,

            Are you saying (and what I'm trying to understand) Jesus is
            saying "father" twice, 2 languages? Father, father. Only one
            language is necessary for God to hear, especially from his begotten
            son. Is this only place in bible that has two different language
            words spoken by someone?

            What I'm saying if Christ was God as son I don't think he would say
            father (abba father); John 20/17 and what he said to another woman
            (Samaritian), at the well.

            These seem like 3 chosen or certain spots for having "abba" in NT
            for some reason(?).

            Not everyone has J. Christ (spirit of Jesus)in them literally
            (mystically, God is spirit and gives spirit as a gift);
            pentecostally, baptized in h.s. (and fire). Same can apply for the
            Father (God, spirit of God the father)...

            I always heard it preached or taught that abba meant daddy or dad. I
            come to find out people aren't always right.

            Its starting to look like abba means more than dad or father, maybe
            Godly (1) respect (as a family term, thus adopted sons saying abba)
            somehow, rather than he's the only one (1)son; there is another
            postion (still open?) on other side of God's throne in heaven with
            Jesus on right side as scriptures say.

            I read somewhere that the original scriptures were written in Aramaic.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 26, 2004
              Dave, "Abba" is the Aramaic word for "father" and it
              appears with the Greek equivalent "pater" which also
              means "father". The Gospel of Mark and Paul's letters
              to the Romans and Galatians uses the word "abba"
              because it was used of Jesus to refer to God. The early
              Christians held on to these special titles because they
              were used of Jesus in his native tongue and were held
              dear by the early Christians. The word "Marana tha"
              ("Lord come!), an Aramaic terms as well was also used
              by early Christians some of whom were Greek speaking.
              (1 Cor.16:22) These are not two different names, but
              two words in Aramaic and Greek which both mean "father".

              Tony Costa

              On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:58:02 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

              > Thanks for answering you two,
              >
              > Are you saying (and what I'm trying to understand)
              > Jesus is
              > saying "father" twice, 2 languages? Father, father.
              > Only one
              > language is necessary for God to hear, especially from
              > his begotten
              > son. Is this only place in bible that has two
              > different language
              > words spoken by someone?
              >
              > What I'm saying if Christ was God as son I don't think
              > he would say
              > father (abba father); John 20/17 and what he said to
              > another woman
              > (Samaritian), at the well.
              >
              > These seem like 3 chosen or certain spots for having
              > "abba" in NT
              > for some reason(?).
              >
              > Not everyone has J. Christ (spirit of Jesus)in them
              > literally
              > (mystically, God is spirit and gives spirit as a
              gift);

              > pentecostally, baptized in h.s. (and fire). Same can
              > apply for the
              > Father (God, spirit of God the father)...
              >
              > I always heard it preached or taught that abba meant
              > daddy or dad. I
              > come to find out people aren't always right.
              >
              > Its starting to look like abba means more than dad or
              > father, maybe
              > Godly (1) respect (as a family term, thus adopted sons
              > saying abba)
              > somehow, rather than he's the only one (1)son; there
              > is another
              > postion (still open?) on other side of God's throne in
              > heaven with
              > Jesus on right side as scriptures say.
              >
              > I read somewhere that the original scriptures were
              > written in Aramaic.
              >
              > -- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, tmcos@c... wrote:
              > > David, "Abba" is an Aramaic word which simply means
              > > "father". The issues of Trinitarian theology are
              > beyond
              > > the scope of this list unless you wish to discuss it
              > > "offlist". Best,
              > >
              > > Tony Costa
              > >

              > > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:30:11 -0000, "Dave" wrote:
              > >

              > > > I believe Jesus (Son of God) said "Abba" Father 3
              > > times
              > > > in the NT.
              > > >
              > > > What do you think abba or Abba means for Christ to
              > use
              > > > it with
              > > > father (God the father).
              > > >
              > > > Seems he's emphazing he's not God (as part of
              > trinity
              > > > believing)
              > > > or "God the Son" which isn't in the bible that
              way;
              > > > Son of God.
              > > >
              > > > John 20/17.. tell the bretheren...

              > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Aaron and/or Sara
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2004
                > Are you saying (and what I'm trying to understand)
                > Jesus is
                > saying "father" twice, 2 languages? Father, father.

                Hey, Dave.
                There are many places where words appear twice in a
                row in the LXX and NT, and they don't mean the speaker
                said them twice. They mean that the writer or
                translator wanted to preserve a certain term in its
                original language, but also had to include it in the
                language of the reader.

                This list isn't here for theologizing or for talking
                about the NT, though. (At any rate, theologizing when
                you can't read the original languages is perilous, at
                best.) The list is for discussing Septuagint
                scholarship!

                Regards,
                Sara Parks Ricker

              • Michael Jay
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
                  > This list isn't here for theologizing or for talking
                  > about the NT, though. (At any rate, theologizing when
                  > you can't read the original languages is perilous, at
                  > best.) The list is for discussing Septuagint
                  > scholarship!
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Sara Parks Ricker

                  My appologies to the group, but I cannot resist! Theologizing can be
                  perilous even if you DO know the original languages. That was the
                  reason that Creeds were made.

                  Perhaps the NT does have a place in the group though... the NT quotes
                  Greek translations quite often. Many NT writers comment on Greek OT
                  passages (sometimes matching my "LXX" but clearly diffrent from my
                  MT.) Perhaps the Church Fathers have place as well. I started
                  studying the LXX to help me understand the NT, Church history/Fathers
                  and to help me learn a little Hebrew... so I guess that perhaps a
                  little Church history -- a little N.T., and a little Biblical Hebrew
                  and Aramaic belongs in this list.

                  Michael Jay
                • St. Tikhon's Sem Library
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 28, 2004
                    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 03:25:53 -0000, Michael Jay wrote:

                    >> This list isn't here for theologizing or for talking
                    >> about the NT, though. (At any rate, theologizing when
                    >> you can't read the original languages is perilous, at
                    >> best.) The list is for discussing Septuagint
                    >> scholarship!

                    >My appologies to the group, but I cannot resist! Theologizing can be
                    >perilous even if you DO know the original languages. That was the
                    >reason that Creeds were made.

                    NOT theologizing is, in any event, more perilous than theologizing with or without the original languages. Cf John 6:45