Franciscus Junius Bible 1587 & 1649

  • austex8
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
      In going through my mother's attic, I have found an old Bible. It is
      in very good condition, but I don't know what to do with it, or if it
      of value to anyone.

      The Bible itself has verse numbers and 4 columns on each page - the
      first and fourth are narrow and appear to be notes, while the second
      and third columns are verses in Latin. It has the Apocryphi with 14
      chapters. I don't believe it has Maccabe III.

      I have typed the cover page and the first sheet into the Latin
      translation software that is on-line, but it couldn't translate much
      that was of help to me.

      The cover page states (in Latin, I believe)
      "Testament Veteris, Biblia Sacra, sive libr canonici priscae judaeoum
      ecclesiaw a deo traditi, Latini recens es Hebraco facti, brevibusq,
      Scholiss illustrati ab Immanuele Tremellio, & Francisco Junio.

      Then in smaller letters:
      " Accesserunt libri qui vulgo dicunter Apocryphi, Latini redditi &
      notis quibusdam auti a Francisco Junio. Multiomnus quam ante
      emendatius editi & aucti loci innumeris; quibusctiaqm adjunximis Novi
      Testumenti libros ex sermone Syro ab codem Tremellio, & ex Graco a
      Theodoro Beza in Latinum Versos, notiq itidem illustruos"

      Terria cura Francisci Junii
      cum Indice ad Notas V.T. triplice; Hebr. Grece & Latino"

      A large coat of arms then appears and underneath is:

      Hanovia
      Typis Wechelianis, apul Claudium
      Marnium, & haeredes Joannis Aubrii
      M.DCIL

      On the next page in large letters it says:
      "Illustrissimo Principi et Domino, D. Friderico IIII.
      Comiti Palatino ad rhenum, electoralis dignitatis & Palatinatus
      haeredi, Bavarix Duci, Domino meo clementissimo, S.P.

      The last paragraph ends with "Heidelberga, prid. Kal. April, 1587"
      and it then finishes with
      "T.C. fervus addictissimu
      Franciscus Junius"

      I have searched the web for Junius, du Jon, Tremellio and Beza and
      now have a terrific knowledge of the Reformation and the Calvin
      influence on Bible translations, and how Junius' son translated the
      Cademeum poems while in England working for the Earl of Arundal, but
      I am no further in understanding what this Bible represents.

      I have not located a similar one in any of the on-line library
      collection listings at various universities and colleges.

      I have left it at my mother's house, swaddled in soft rag and
      cardboard and in the air conditioning. I live in Australia and am not
      able to take it anywhere for help.

      Could someone help me please??? I would just like to know whether it
      is simply an old 1600's bible, or whether it is important to someone
      and what I should do with it.

      Regards,
      Marci Young
      myoung8@...
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
        Do you think this actual book was published in the 1500s or is it just a
        reprint of something originally from the 1500s?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
          Google (searching Tremellius and Junius together) shows that someone is
          selling it imaged on CD-ROMs for $250 --
          http://www.latinbible.com/
          (sample images at http://www.latinbible.com/inset1.html)

          Apparently it is also online (1640 edition), presumably to subscribers
          (our library subscribes) --
          http://eebo.chadwyck.com/search/full_rec?ACTION=ByID&SOURCE=pgimages.cfg&ID=V248
          31

          Interesting, and perhaps even rare as a physical object, but not all that
          inaccessible! Here is one of the several library description entries from
          the UPenn catalog --

          Title: Biblia sacra, sive, Testamentum Vet[us] [microform] / ab Im.
          Tremellio et Fran. Iunio ex Hebr�o Latin� redditu[m] ; et Testamentum
          Novu[m] � Theod. Beza � Gr�co in Latinum versum ; argumentis capitum
          additis, versibus q[ue] singulis distinctis et seorsum expressis.

          Bible. Latin. 1640.

          Publisher: Londini : Typis Milonis Flesher & Rob. Young, clclccxl
          [1640]
          Microform
          Computer File
          ca. 905 p.
          Series: Early English books, 1475-1640 ; 1741:1.
          Web Link: Online version.

          In short, it has value as a physical object for a collector of very old
          bibles, but is not particularly "rare" for study purposes. Probably on
          ebay or a similar internet outlet it would fetch a few hundred dollars, at
          least. Some libraries would undoubtedly be interested, as well as private
          collectors (assuming that what you have is the actual 17th century book
          and not a more recent reproduction).

          Bob

          kraft@...
        • Harold P. Scanlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004

            The first edition of the Tremellius and Junius Latin translation of the OT and Apocrypha appeared in 1579. (number 6165 in the Darlow and Moule catalog of the BFBS Bible collection.  Darlow and Moule should be available in most large University libraries or theological seminaries. The publisher is listed as Wechel only.  By 1594 (D&M 6187) Wechel, Marnius and Abrius published a revised edition with the Bezae Latin translation of the NT.  As your research suggests, it was a popular edition and went through numerous reprints and (I think minor) revisions in the 17th century.  Some were folio, others quarto in size. Some editions did not include the notes.  D&M does not list a 1649 reprint. Unless your edition has some distinctive revisions (and I suspect not) its commercial value is not likely to be any higher than the other 17th century reprints.  On the other hand, there is a market for this type of publication, especially for items in good condition.  If you are interested in selling it you can contact me off-list for the names of several reputable dealers.

            Harold P. Scanlin

            41 Waldheim Park

            Allentown, PA  18103

            voice  610-791-9146

            fax  610-791-0439

            harold.scanlin@...

[...]

          • Lampros F. Kallenos
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
              I don't remember from where I found it, but whenever I was
              looking for a book, I was always able to find something when
              searching from this adress:

              http://www.addall.com/Used/

              I thought this will become the first time that I didn't find any
              results... And then, I thought to search for a book with the
              keywords:

              Tremellio Testament Veteris Biblia Sacra sive

              There were three results:

              http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=&title=&keyword=Tremellio+Testament+Veteris+Biblia+Sacra+sive+&isbn=&order=TITLE&ordering=ASC&dispCurr=EUR&binding=Any+Binding&min=&max=&timeout=20&match=Y&StoreAbebooks=on&StoreAlibris=on&StoreAntiqbook=on&StoreBiblio=on&StoreBibliology=on&StoreBiblion=on&StoreBibliophile=on&StoreBibliopoly=on&StoreBooksandcollectibles=on&StoreElephantbooks=on&StoreHalf=on&StoreILAB=on&StoreMaremagnum=on&StorePowells=on&StoreStrandbooks=on&StoreZVAB=on

              This is a really long link, and you may have to recreate it in
              one line.

              As you will see, there is a long description of each book, which
              may or may not be what you have in hand.

              If I was to jump in and suggest something, I would also suggest
              to consider as a first option selling this book to a library.

              But if you don't really need the money..., you may want to
              consider keeping this old Bible!! Chances are that you may never
              find again a similarly old Bible belonging to your mother!!

              Lampros F. Kallenos
              Idalion, Lefkosia
              Kypros