Re: kids

  • Arne Halbakken
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2003
      > Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:28:42 +0800
      > From: "Ashley Crane" <acrane@...>
      >Subject: RE: Kids
      >
      >Hi All,
      >Bible Works certainly is the best program for serious scholars. The
      >latest BWW 6 has some great Greek and Hebrew educational add ons whereby
      >you can learn both languages and linked to the text at the same time.
      >See them at www.bibleworks.com <http://www.bibleworks.com/>
      >
      >Ashley

      It may be a bit off-topic discussing Bible study programs on the LXX list.

      Besides the BibleWorks 6 that is mentioned by Ashley and Chris, there
      some other excellent programs out there.

      You might also look at
      1) Logos Series X from Logos Research Systems <http://www.logos.com/>
      2) Gramcord Lightning from the Gramcord Institute <http://gramcord.com/>
      3) Accordance 6.0 from OakTree Software <http://www.oaksoft.com/>.

      Ken Ristau has a review of these programs
      BibleWorks 5 <http://anduril.ca/christian/bibleworks.html>
      (Note that this is a review of an older version of BibleWorks.)
      Logos Seriew X <http://anduril.ca/christian/libronix.html>
      Gramcord Lightning <http://anduril.ca/christian/gramcord.html>
      Accordance 5.7 <http://anduril.ca/christian/accordance.html>
      (This is also out-of-date since version 6 has been released with
      new modules.)
      Ken also has a PDF file in an article in Christian Week at
      <http://anduril.ca/PDFs/Software-Review.pdf>.

      Personally, I like Accordance for the study of the LXX. It is, of
      course, fully tagged. The search capacity in Accordance is
      phenomenal. One can also run the parallel versions of the LXX of
      Joshua, Judges, Tobit, and Daniel. There is a MT/LXX Parallel
      Database by Emmanuel Tov.

      In Accordance it is easy to run the LXX parallel with the Hebrew
      Masoretic text, the Samaritan Pentateuch, Targums (Onkelos and
      Neophyti), as well as many Bible translations in other languages.

      For dictionaries, Accordance has the second edition of the most
      authoritative lexicon to the LXX (by J. Lust, R. Eynikel, and K.
      Hauspie). One can also use BDAG, Liddell & Scott (Intermediate
      Lexicon), TDNT ("little Kittel"), Spicq, Louw & Nida, and NIDNTT to
      look at Greek words.

      To look at the Hebrew words that are parallel with the Greek words in
      the LXX, there is Koehler-Baumgartner (HALOT), NIDOTTE, BDB
      (abridged), TWOT, and Jenni-Westermann.

      One can also do searches for words or combinations of words from the
      LXX in other works (such as the NT, the Apostolic Fathers, and much
      of the OT Pseudepigrapha. There is also a tool that will works with
      huge TLG database (if you subscribe).

      Accordance is a Macintosh-only program but runs on a PC with a free
      Mac emulator.

      For a study of the LXX (or the MT, NT, Apostolic Fathers, Qumran, or
      Mishnah), I would recommend including Accordance as an excellent
      possibility. The main drawback is its expense when you add on all the
      modules.

      Arne