Kids

  • Michael Jay
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
      I'm also just a kid, I took a Greek class and a Hebrew class... so
      not enough to study origninal texts without both a grammar and
      lexicon by my side -- I'm just a simple M.A. My small KS University
      just didn't offer a M.Div. (nor the Greek and Hebrew necessary to
      earn one.)

      I started studying the LXX because I felt that my original language
      skills were poor. I also thought the original languages were
      important (and the LXX is vital for NT and church fathers.)

      so this brings Question #1: Is there anything I can do on my own to
      help me improve my Greek & Hebrew (and maybe really learn a little
      Latin.) I know that there are many scholars here... so I'll take all
      the advice I can get. (Currently I stare at my Bible -- I put Greek
      next to Hebrew -- I check the Vulgate, and I look up word after word
      in my lexicons, and I search the few grammar books that I own.) I am
      learning by working with the original text -- but the process sure
      feels slow.

      Now Question #2 & #3: I've been a poor college student for several
      years (and now I'm teaching English in China) - My computer has had a
      very long (over ten year) life. I have several E.texts (NT, OT,
      etc.) using TTF's (Every one of them mapped diffrently, I can't use
      Unicode on the thing.) I'm starting to realize that I really need to
      get a new machine.

      #2: What platform and software do you suggest? Should I stay with
      PC for backwards compatability, or should I move to a Mac (OS X looks
      very nice... and my experience with Chinese Windows suggests that
      Microsoft Windows/Office still leaves a lot to be desired with multi-
      lingual support.)

      #3: I'm enclosing a sample of my notes (the way I'm trying to learn
      Greek an Hebrew, as well as study the bible... the footnotes and the
      translation are my own... all mistakes are also my own.) How can I
      change that mess into something standard like Unicode. This set has
      a Hebrew text based on SIL's Ezra font, the Greek LXX is Greekfp
      (converted by this groups Moderator -- Thanks Joel)... and the Greek
      NT uses a font system based on the B-Greek transliteration scheme.
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2003
        Michael Jay wrote:

        Do you own the following books?

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0310269202/chrisbitmead
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0310226953/chrisbitmead
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556370075/chrisbitmead
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0310232112/chrisbitmead

        As for software, BibleWorks is the best (so I hear), but you can survive
        with some of the free solutions out there if need be. See especially
        this site...

        http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~fisher/gnt/

        >I'm also just a kid, I took a Greek class and a Hebrew class... so
        >not enough to study origninal texts without both a grammar and
        >lexicon by my side -- I'm just a simple M.A. My small KS University
        >just didn't offer a M.Div. (nor the Greek and Hebrew necessary to
        >earn one.)
        >
        >I started studying the LXX because I felt that my original language
        >skills were poor. I also thought the original languages were
        >important (and the LXX is vital for NT and church fathers.)
        >

        >so this brings Question #1: Is there anything I can do on my own to
        >help me improve my Greek & Hebrew (and maybe really learn a little
        >Latin.) I know that there are many scholars here... so I'll take all
        >the advice I can get. (Currently I stare at my Bible -- I put Greek
        >next to Hebrew -- I check the Vulgate, and I look up word after word
        >in my lexicons, and I search the few grammar books that I own.) I am
        >learning by working with the original text -- but the process sure
        >feels slow.
        >

        >Now Question #2 & #3: I've been a poor college student for several
        >years (and now I'm teaching English in China) - My computer has had a
        >very long (over ten year) life. I have several E.texts (NT, OT,
        >etc.) using TTF's (Every one of them mapped diffrently, I can't use
        >Unicode on the thing.) I'm starting to realize that I really need to
        >get a new machine.
        >
        >#2: What platform and software do you suggest? Should I stay with
        >PC for backwards compatability, or should I move to a Mac (OS X looks
        >very nice... and my experience with Chinese Windows suggests that
        >Microsoft Windows/Office still leaves a lot to be desired with multi-
        >lingual support.)
        >
        >#3: I'm enclosing a sample of my notes (the way I'm trying to learn
        >Greek an Hebrew, as well as study the bible... the footnotes and the
        >translation are my own... all mistakes are also my own.) How can I
        >change that mess into something standard like Unicode. This set has
        >a Hebrew text based on SIL's Ezra font, the Greek LXX is Greekfp
        >(converted by this groups Moderator -- Thanks Joel)... and the Greek
        >NT uses a font system based on the B-Greek transliteration scheme.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >To visit your group on the web, go to:

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ashley Crane
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2003

          Hi All,

          Bible Works certainly is the best program for serious scholars.   The latest BWW 6 has some great Greek and Hebrew educational add ons whereby you can learn both languages and linked to the text at the same time.

          See them at www.bibleworks.com

          Ashley