[lxx] LXX Bibliography

  • Joel D Kalvesmaki
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 14, 1999
      Hello all,

      Just wanted to mention that I have revised my LXX homepage, with a new format that, I hope, is easier to read. A noteworthy addition:

      I have posted the first draft of my Septuagint bibliography. In all, it covers about 1700 items in print from the 16th c. onwards. I have divided it according to books (877 items, including reprints), articles (457 items), and book reviews (365). If there are items I'm missing, please let me know -- I hope to update the list quarterly, as time permits. The listing covers scholarship up to 1999. Some of the formatting is off, and I'll work on that for the next edition.

      Merry Christmas,

      jk
      Joel D Kalvesmaki
      16kalvesmaki@...
      http://arts-sciences.cua.edu/ecs/jdk/

      Graduate Student, Early Christian Studies
      Catholic University of America
      Washington, DC

    • Joel D Kalvesmaki
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 1999
        Hi George,

        Thanks for the compliments, etc.

        > It gets interestinger and interestinger...

        Yes, indeed, very interesting. There's enough hidden stuff waiting to be
        found out there in the Septuagint to make several careers. If you have
        nothing else to do, now you how to spend your time!

        Merry Christmas,

        jk
        untitledJoel D Kalvesmaki 16kalvesmaki@...
        http://arts-sciences.cua.edu/ecs/jdk/ Graduate Student, Early Christian
        Studies Catholic University of America Washington, DC

      • George Blaisdell
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 16, 1999
          >From: "Joel D Kalvesmaki"

          >Hello all,

          >Just wanted to mention that I have revised my LXX homepage, with a >new
          >format that, I hope, is easier to read. A noteworthy addition:

          Thanks, Joel ~ It is VERY much easy to read!

          I was unaware of the issue of the LXX's potentially co-equal footing with
          the surviving Hebraic OT mss, which [footing] is now coming out of Qumram
          documents indicating another Hebraic OT text, if I am understanding
          correctly, that may be more in line with the LXX variations from the Jewish
          text we are now using. [Sorry for that awkward formulation!] I had always
          simply assumed that the LXX was just a translation of the Hebrew text, and
          so why bother with it since we have the Hebrew? So it now turns out that
          the LXX MAY be a translation of a different OT ms??

          It gets interestinger and interestinger...

          And your home page is well worth the time to check out, for those who have
          not already done so.

          George Blaisdell
        • Larry N Baker
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 16, 1999
            In light of this, it would be interesting to find an Israeli translation
            of the LXX published in Israel.

            Larry Baker

            On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:49:41 PST "George Blaisdell" <maqhth@...>
            writes:

            > >From: "Joel D Kalvesmaki"
            >
            > >Hello all,
            >
            > >Just wanted to mention that I have revised my LXX homepage, with a
            > >new
            > >format that, I hope, is easier to read. A noteworthy addition:
            >
            > Thanks, Joel ~ It is VERY much easy to read!
            >
            > I was unaware of the issue of the LXX's potentially co-equal footing
            > with
            > the surviving Hebraic OT mss, which [footing] is now coming out of
            > Qumram
            > documents indicating another Hebraic OT text, if I am understanding
            > correctly, that may be more in line with the LXX variations from the
            > Jewish
            > text we are now using. [Sorry for that awkward formulation!] I had
            > always
            > simply assumed that the LXX was just a translation of the Hebrew
            > text, and
            > so why bother with it since we have the Hebrew? So it now turns out
            > that
            > the LXX MAY be a translation of a different OT ms??
            >
            > It gets interestinger and interestinger...
            >
            > And your home page is well worth the time to check out, for those
            > who have
            > not already done so.
            >
            > George Blaisdell

            > You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it! Sign
            > up today at http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/2227. It's quick,
            > free, & there's no obligation!

            > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=lxx&m=1

          • Ken Penner
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2012
              Feel free to make use of and add to the shared bibliography (started by Joel K.) at the Zotero group "Septuagint". It currently has 1989 entries. The direct link for the 12 is https://www.zotero.org/groups/septuagint/items/collectionKey/J6TRSKZA
              That said, there is currently only one entry for Zechariah, and it is not by Palmer.

              Ken

              Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
              Assistant Professor, Religious Studies
              Nicholson Tower 409