[lxx] Re: FW: The Tetragrammaton

  • Choufrine, Arkadi
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 1999
      Dear colleagues:

      Does anyone of you know of a current consensus on:

      1. when and where "Adonai" first became pronounced for the Tetragrammaton;

      2.
      how they pronounced the T. before that;

      3. whether this replacement was influenced by the LXX, or vice versa;

      4. if the former, what influenced the LXX choice of "ho Kyrios" for the T.?

      Thanks for your help.

      Arkadi
    • james and tatiana miller
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 1999
        Arkadi:

        knowledge of the phenomena you mention, but there was an interesting
        presentation at the recent SBL conference (a presentation I, unfortunately,
        missed) which seems relevant to your inquiries. Here is the abstract for
        the presentation:

        "Just before his death in 1980 Patrick Skehan postulated a four-stage
        process for the appearance and removal of the tetragrammaton in the LXX
        textual tradition, one based largely on the various forms of the divine
        name that have been found in the diverse MSS usually from Egypt or Israel:
        the LXX translators did not render Yahweh as kurios but originally employed
        ____ (Greek word spelled iota alpha omega) for the Hebrew tetragrammaton.
        The old Hebrew and Aramaic forms of the name found in other MSS represent a
        middle stage in the total replacement of the name later with kurios. Albert
        Pietersma has attacked the basis upon which this notion rests by calling
        all the evidence save 4QLXX Levb that might appear to support the idea of
        any form of the tetragrammaton in the original LXX part of the general
        hebraizing recensional activity that we know occurred in the LXX's textual
        tradition.
        "No one has completely rallied all the early non mystical evidence for the
        use of the name _____ (iota alpha omega) among Jews from the third century
        BCE onwards. If we are going to properly understand this word's occurrence
        in 4QLXX Levb such a collection is a vital prerequisite. My research is
        accomplishing just this, documenting and discussing this divine name's
        surprisingly frequent appearance in Christian copies of originally Jewish
        onomastica of the LXX, in definitely two and possibly up to four classical
        authors, in ecclesiatical sources, and in the Mishnah. Taken together, this
        evidence indicates that some Jews continued to use and indeed pronounce
        this Greek form of the divine name in the Greco-Roman period, and this
        helps provide a background for understanding the name's appearance in 4QLXX
        Levb. It may well also cal into question notions about the divine name in
        the LXX textual tradition as well as the name's gradual disuse in early
        Judaism."

        Presentation by Frank Shaw, Univ of Cincinnati at the 1999 SBL/AAR conference.

        Hope this is a help to you.

        James