[lxx] Re: Hebrew translation of LXX

  • Larry N Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 21, 1999
      It would be interesting just to read how Israelis would read the
      traditional, majority text of the LXX in Hebrew. Some would find this
      easier, as a native Hebrew speaker, than reading Brenton's English
      translation or the coming NETS, if such a volume has been published in
      Israel. Hatch and Redpath does give somewhat of an opportunity to do
      this with their Hebrew word notes but little regarding syntax. It would,
      of course, give a hypothetical (albeit, also interpretive) view of the
      passages of the Hebrew text utilized by the literal translators of
      passages of the LXX.

      Larry Baker

    • Larry N Baker
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2000
        Prof. Moshe Zipor of Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel, has an
        article, "Towards a Hebrew Annotated Edition of the Septuagint Version of
        the Pentateuch." (In: Studies in Bible and Exegesis Vol. 4 [in Hebrew] ,
        p. 189-219. Ramat Gan, Bar-Ilan University Press, 1997), one can see his
        paper on Lev. 20-21 in: MehQare Morashtenu, Vol. I., published by
        Mikhlalah Moreshet Yaakov, Ha-raaz Str. Rehovot, Israel. The cost
        should be minor. Dr. Moshe Zipor's book, The Septuagint Version of
        Genesis (Hebrew translated and interpreted), 2 Vols., by Bar-Ilan
        Publication, is now in print. Similarly, an article on the chapters
        19-20 of Leviticus will appear in the same Studies in Bible and Exegesis
        VI, but it will be some time before it is available to be published. An
        article about LXX 's methodology in general has now appeared in Shnaton
        le-heqer ha-miqra, 12 Jerusalem 5760.

        Sincerely,
        Larry N. Baker
        The American Bible College and Seminary