[lxx] Hebrew translation of LXX

  • Larry N Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 1999
      Has anyone in Israel published a translation of the LXX in Israeli or
      Classical Hebrew?

      Larry N. Baker
      larrynbaker@...
    • jamtat@citycom.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 1999
        Larry N Baker:

        I've heard of "retroversions" (attempts to retranslate LXX back
        into its original Hebrew) of isolated books or passages or words,
        but never of an attempt to retrovert the entirety of the LXX
        back into classical Hebrew. I have not heard of any attempts
        to translate into modern Israeli.

        James Miller

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 18, 1999
          Larry Baker and James Miller

          Interesting thought. I wonder how orthodox Judaism would view/accept such a
          translation and would a translation of such parallel the MT?
          At 08:16 PM 11/14/99 -0800, you wrote:

          >Larry N Baker:
          >
          >I've heard of "retroversions" (attempts to retranslate LXX back
          >into its original Hebrew) of isolated books or passages or words,
          >but never of an attempt to retrovert the entirety of the LXX
          >back into classical Hebrew. I have not heard of any attempts
          >to translate into modern Israeli.
          >
          >James Miller

        • M.Kraus
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 1999
            What would be the value of a translation of the LXX into Hebrew? First,
            the translator would have to determine what is the actual text of the LXX.
            Second, different communities utilize different versions/recensions of the
            LXX. Therefore, a translation into Hebrew would only represent an
            interpretation of what may have been available to a limited group of
            readers. Third,
            there is a Hebrew index to Hatch and Redpath's concordance to the LXX, so
            one can find how a particular Hebrew word is rendered.
            Although it is painstaking, I think Origen basically had the right idea of
            reading the Bible via the hexapla, i.e. comparing the Hebrew and Greek
            together.
            >Larry Baker and James Miller
            >
            >Interesting thought. I wonder how orthodox Judaism would view/accept such a
            >translation and would a translation of such parallel the MT?
            >At 08:16 PM 11/14/99 -0800, you wrote:
            >>
            >>Larry N Baker:
            >>
            >>I've heard of "retroversions" (attempts to retranslate LXX back
            >>into its original Hebrew) of isolated books or passages or words,
            >>but never of an attempt to retrovert the entirety of the LXX
            >>back into classical Hebrew. I have not heard of any attempts
            >>to translate into modern Israeli.
            >>
            >>James Miller

            Matthew Kraus
            Assistant Professor of Classics and Jewish Studies
            Williams College
            Williamstown, MA 01267
            (413)597-3701
            Fax (413)597-4305
          • Larry N Baker
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 18, 1999
              Sandberg Family,

              I was thinking of some interested Israeli student, scholar, etc., whose
              native language was Modern Israeli and who would be interested in reading
              the LXX. Even in English, however, our standard translation is over a
              century old; although there are two groups in the process of translating
              the LXX into English (one a group of [Protestant/Catholic] scholars, and
              the other Eastern Orthodox churchmen/scholars.)

              Larry N. Baker

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 21, 1999
                It would be interesting just to read how Israelis would read the
                traditional, majority text of the LXX in Hebrew. Some would find this
                easier, as a native Hebrew speaker, than reading Brenton's English
                translation or the coming NETS, if such a volume has been published in
                Israel. Hatch and Redpath does give somewhat of an opportunity to do
                this with their Hebrew word notes but little regarding syntax. It would,
                of course, give a hypothetical (albeit, also interpretive) view of the
                passages of the Hebrew text utilized by the literal translators of
                passages of the LXX.

                Larry Baker

              • Larry N Baker
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2000
                  Prof. Moshe Zipor of Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel, has an
                  article, "Towards a Hebrew Annotated Edition of the Septuagint Version of
                  the Pentateuch." (In: Studies in Bible and Exegesis Vol. 4 [in Hebrew] ,
                  p. 189-219. Ramat Gan, Bar-Ilan University Press, 1997), one can see his
                  paper on Lev. 20-21 in: MehQare Morashtenu, Vol. I., published by
                  Mikhlalah Moreshet Yaakov, Ha-raaz Str. Rehovot, Israel. The cost
                  should be minor. Dr. Moshe Zipor's book, The Septuagint Version of
                  Genesis (Hebrew translated and interpreted), 2 Vols., by Bar-Ilan
                  Publication, is now in print. Similarly, an article on the chapters
                  19-20 of Leviticus will appear in the same Studies in Bible and Exegesis
                  VI, but it will be some time before it is available to be published. An
                  article about LXX 's methodology in general has now appeared in Shnaton
                  le-heqer ha-miqra, 12 Jerusalem 5760.

                  Sincerely,
                  Larry N. Baker
                  The American Bible College and Seminary