[lxx] Re: Ostrog clarification

  • james and tatyana miller
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 7, 1999
      DK:

      Do I understand correctly that you're saying that the only part of the
      Ostrog Bible that was translated from the Vulgate were the so-called
      Deuterocanonical books? If so, this implies that the rest of the Ostrog
      Bible was a translation from some other biblical manuscript, and thus from
      a different (from Latin) language. Can you say anything about what the
      remainder of the Ostrog Bible (i.e., other than the Deuterocanonicals) was
      a translation of?

      Thanks, James Miller
    • Richard J Saley
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 12, 1999
        I want to thank most sincerely those of you who have taken the time and
        effort to respond to my query about the textual characteristics of the LXX
        of the Orthodox Church. What at the time seemed to me to be a simple
        question has unmasked a very complex situation and I have learned much from
        your willingness to explain the transmission of the biblical text
        historically as an outgrowth of the role(s) assigned to it within the
        Orthodox communities.

        The real beneficiaries, of course, will be my students to whom I shall pass
        along--faithfully, I hope--what I have learned.

        With best wishes,
        Dick Saley
        | Richard J. Saley, Ph.D. Tel: 617-495-4239 |
        | The Semitic Museum Fax: 617-496-8904 |
        | Harvard University saley@... |
        | Six Divinity Avenue |
        | Cambridge, MA 02138 USA |
      • james miller
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 12, 1999
          Dear Dr. Saley:

          Thanks for your questions! You generated some interesting discussion here.
          Any further questions or comments you might have would be most welcome.

          James Miller