Thank You and another Q

  • janinecmiller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2003
      Thanks to all who have explored this subject and
      answered my question (Psalm 40:6).

      I am curious how many other key verses we Christians
      count on to prophesy or enlighten about Christ are
      not consistent in different translations. I want
      to know to be forewarned, forearmed, since I get
      into discussions about these things with unbelievers.
      I surely would like to know I have solid ground
      beneath my feet. Are we pretty certain the septuagint
      gives correct interpretations of the the Torah
      in all other cases of Messianic prophecy? Has
      anyone made this a point of study?

      Just asking. If anyone has a comment to help me,
      I would appreciate that.

      Thanks.

      --J
    • Sigrid Peterson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2003
        Thank you for an interesting question!

        To comment, briefly: strictly speaking, the Torah
        (and the Septuagint) refer only to the first five
        books of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament (HB/OT). The
        Jewish term, and order, are remembered by

        TA = Torah = Pentateuch = LXX
        Na = Neviim = Prophets, Joshuah through Malachi
        KH = Ketuvim = Writings, Psalms through Chronicles

        which is the acronym TaNaKh.

        The Pentateuch in Greek is the LXX, while Joshua through
        Malachi is, strictly speaking again, the Old Greek.
        Together, one would refer to LXX/OG.

        All the best,
        Sigrid Peterson University of Pennsylvania petersig@...