Differences between LXX and MT?

  • phil-eng
    Message 1 of 93 , Jul 13, 2003
      2 questions:

      1. How many LXX MSS's are there and is there a comprehensive list
      somewhere of all of the different LXX MSS's and how to obtain them?

      2. Does anyone have any explanation for the differences between 'the LXX'
      and the MT, particularly Psalm 40:6?

      Message 93 of 93 , Aug 15, 2003
        on 8/14/03 2:45 AM, Philip Engmann at phil-eng@... wrote:

        I have Brenton¹s LXX and Kholenberger¹s LXX, (MT and English), so I can
        confirm the codices which they follow. However, I do not have Rahlf¹s LXX so
        I cannot confirm that Rahlf¹s LXX follow the Codex Alexandrinus and
        Sinacticus.

        Another post from the LXX groups suggests that Rahlf¹s LXX ³is a diplomatic
        text, relying on Vaticancus in the main and supplying Alexandrinus or
        Sinaiticus, and occasionally other texts in lacunae (and apparatus)².

        Dear Philip,

        A few definitions are in order to start.

        Autograph-the original version of the text as written by the biblical author
        or editor. None of these exist physically now. Determining this text is
        the goal of Text Criticism.

        Text type-a collection of existing manuscripts that demonstrate agreement
        among themselves for the most part. Nothing is identical with anything, but
        there are groups of major agreement.

        Critical Text-The editor(s) select the best reading from those manuscripts
        used to produce the volume and place this in the main text of the work. The
        main text then represents what the editor(s) feel is the autograph. In most
        cases, they will not emend a reading (take a reading that has no manuscript
        support but may have been the autograph and explains the existing readings)
        but some editors will.

        Diplomatic Text-A transcription of a certain existing manuscript with the
        variants from a selection of other manuscripts noted.

        Handbook-a text that contain variants from representatives of all the major
        know text types, but acknowledges that the apparatus is not complete. One
        can not assume that these represent ALL variations of the text. They are
        meant as quick reference editions to show the major known variants, not the
        extensive list of all variations. They also ignore spelling errors and
        minor orthographic differences in texts.

        Now to your question, Rahlf is a critical text handbook. He includes
        Vaticanus, Alexandrinus and Sinacticus in all cases and a number of other
        important witnesses. I've seen his text posted a few places, but not the
        apparatus to date.

        Swete is a diplomatic text handbook using Vaticanus as the base. A scanned
        version of Swete is available from the Christian Classics Ethereal library
        project here:

        http://www.ccel.org/s/swete/

        Both Brenton and Kohlenberger are just reading texts that have Vaticanus.
        Kolenberger takes his from the transcription prepared by Tischendorf.
        Tischendorf did produce a diplomatic text and several transcriptions during
        the 19th century. A number of these are available as scans on-line here:

        http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/Ebind/docs/TC/

        Unfortunately, Vaticanus diplomatic text is NT only at this point.
        Sinacticus transcription has some of the OT posted (including the Psalms).
        TC E-bind also has a few volumes of the Cambridge large edition LXX and a
        number of other manuscript transcriptions.

        These scanned versions take a while to navigate (especially for those of us
        on a dial-up), but if you don't have access to the volumes in a library they
        are better than nothing.

        Both of these sites include Swete's "Introduction to the OT in Greek" as
        well. Swete has a chapter on Manuscripts p 122-170 and printed editions p
        171-194. These are well worth the read even though it was written in 1904.

        Regards,

        Steve

        --
        Steve Puluka