Fw: [lxx] Septuagint Versions

  • James Ernest
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 10:25 AM

      Becky,
      You'll need to own Rahlfs. On occasion you may need to use one of the larger critical editions in a library. Rahlfs is considerably better than nothing, and everybody uses it, but it isn't an up-to-date and relatively full critical edition the way NA is for the NT.

      James D. Ernest, Ph.D., Editor
      Baker Academic
      9084 Costner Drive SE
      Caledonia, MI 49316

      616-891-5625
      jdernest@... (lists)

      Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 11:43 AM
      Subject: [lxx] Septuagint Versions

      So, it looks like eventually I'm going to have to bite the bullet and purchase a hard-copy Septuagint for the textual apparatus.  Anyone have any advice about which one to buy?

      I am a seminary student headed for PhD work, probably in patristics.  Not rich, nor eager to waste money, but willing to invest where I have to.

      Thanks for any help people can offer.

      ---Becky Howell

      In a message dated 7/12/03 7:06:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, spuluka@... writes:

      Brenton is simply printing the text of Vatincanus which reads swma.  The Cambridge Handbook LXX by Swete chooses the same base text for their edition.  But they do provide an apparatus with alternative readings from selected major manuscripts.  The alternative in question is NOT in this apparatus as the manuscript is not studied.

      Rahlfs is a critical text.  He places into  the main text that which he thinks is most likely  original.  His apparatus presents the alternative readings and their manuscript support.