Septuagint Versions

  • RRHowell41@aol.com
    Message 1 of 93 , Jul 12, 2003
      So, it looks like eventually I'm going to have to bite the bullet and purchase a hard-copy Septuagint for the textual apparatus.  Anyone have any advice about which one to buy?

      I am a seminary student headed for PhD work, probably in patristics.  Not rich, nor eager to waste money, but willing to invest where I have to.

      Thanks for any help people can offer.

      ---Becky Howell

      In a message dated 7/12/03 7:06:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, spuluka@... writes:

      Brenton is simply printing the text of Vatincanus which reads swma.  The Cambridge Handbook LXX by Swete chooses the same base text for their edition.  But they do provide an apparatus with alternative readings from selected major manuscripts.  The alternative in question is NOT in this apparatus as the manuscript is not studied.

      Rahlfs is a critical text.  He places into  the main text that which he thinks is most likely  original.  His apparatus presents the alternative readings and their manuscript support.

    • Steve Puluka
      Message 93 of 93 , Aug 15, 2003
        on 8/14/03 2:45 AM, Philip Engmann at phil-eng@... wrote:

        I have Brenton¹s LXX and Kholenberger¹s LXX, (MT and English), so I can
        confirm the codices which they follow. However, I do not have Rahlf¹s LXX so
        I cannot confirm that Rahlf¹s LXX follow the Codex Alexandrinus and

        Another post from the LXX groups suggests that Rahlf¹s LXX ³is a diplomatic
        text, relying on Vaticancus in the main and supplying Alexandrinus or
        Sinaiticus, and occasionally other texts in lacunae (and apparatus)².

        Dear Philip,

        A few definitions are in order to start.

        Autograph-the original version of the text as written by the biblical author
        or editor. None of these exist physically now. Determining this text is
        the goal of Text Criticism.

        Text type-a collection of existing manuscripts that demonstrate agreement
        among themselves for the most part. Nothing is identical with anything, but
        there are groups of major agreement.

        Critical Text-The editor(s) select the best reading from those manuscripts
        used to produce the volume and place this in the main text of the work. The
        main text then represents what the editor(s) feel is the autograph. In most
        cases, they will not emend a reading (take a reading that has no manuscript
        support but may have been the autograph and explains the existing readings)
        but some editors will.

        Diplomatic Text-A transcription of a certain existing manuscript with the
        variants from a selection of other manuscripts noted.

        Handbook-a text that contain variants from representatives of all the major
        know text types, but acknowledges that the apparatus is not complete. One
        can not assume that these represent ALL variations of the text. They are
        meant as quick reference editions to show the major known variants, not the
        extensive list of all variations. They also ignore spelling errors and
        minor orthographic differences in texts.

        Now to your question, Rahlf is a critical text handbook. He includes
        Vaticanus, Alexandrinus and Sinacticus in all cases and a number of other
        important witnesses. I've seen his text posted a few places, but not the
        apparatus to date.

        Swete is a diplomatic text handbook using Vaticanus as the base. A scanned
        version of Swete is available from the Christian Classics Ethereal library
        project here:

        Both Brenton and Kohlenberger are just reading texts that have Vaticanus.
        Kolenberger takes his from the transcription prepared by Tischendorf.
        Tischendorf did produce a diplomatic text and several transcriptions during
        the 19th century. A number of these are available as scans on-line here:

        Unfortunately, Vaticanus diplomatic text is NT only at this point.
        Sinacticus transcription has some of the OT posted (including the Psalms).
        TC E-bind also has a few volumes of the Cambridge large edition LXX and a
        number of other manuscript transcriptions.

        These scanned versions take a while to navigate (especially for those of us
        on a dial-up), but if you don't have access to the volumes in a library they
        are better than nothing.

        Both of these sites include Swete's "Introduction to the OT in Greek" as
        well. Swete has a chapter on Manuscripts p 122-170 and printed editions p
        171-194. These are well worth the read even though it was written in 1904.

        Steve Puluka
        Master's Student
        SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary
        Pittsburgh, PA