greek - hebrew. dictionary of the lxx parallels

  • krizoek
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 27, 2014
      Introduction
      Greek to Hebrew Dictionary of Septuagint Words
      This lexicon contains Hebrew words found in the OT which are coded to Strong's and also contains equivalent Greek words which have translated these Hebrew words in the Septuagint. These Greek words are also found in the NT and are coded to Strong's. The benefit is that by double clicking on the Strong's numbers while having a Greek lexicon as a default, one can find the in depth meaning of all these Septuagint Greek words thus providing a link between the OT Hebrew and NT Greek. (Due acknowledgment is given to Manual Greek Lexicon of the New Testament by Abbot-Smith and Hatch and Redpath Concordance to the Septuagint)
      By Pierre Leblanc

      Sources
      http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=HebrewGreek
      http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=GreekHebrew

      Question
      Greetings. I'm the developer of a opensource online and mobile bible study and research tool(released under agpl) and found on http://bibleway.us

      I'm working on converting these databases found under sources.

      There is a few matters i'd like to ask regarding the dictionary that i hope someone here would be able to answer.

      Anyone here understand what the term "st." ;found several times in the dictionary, would mean. Places where its noted with a *-sign

      And as found here:
      00030
      aggeion     00953    bor
      aggeion     03603    kikkar
      see; (32a) aggos     03619    keluv
      aggeion     03627    keli
      see; (32a) aggos     03627    keli
      aggeion     05035    nevel

      Would it be a reference to a strong number 32? noted with some kind of "a"?
      Which to me from looking at the dictionaries doesn't seem to have any logical relations.

      Other examples:
      (
      gr_he)

      00292
      st.  amuno     03467    yasha hi
      st.  amuno     04135    mul hi

      00394
      see st. ana tithemi     02763    charam hi.,ho
      see st. ana tithemi     03322    yatsag hi
      see st. ana tithemi     07760    sim

      (he_gr)

      01972
      hala ni.         683 st. ap otheo
      halo    2400    idou *
      halo    3568    nun*

      Gods peace
    • andrew
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 27, 2014
        Dear Pierre,

        First things first. And that is to give credit to a member of this list – Robert Kraft – who at the end of the prior decade played a key role in bringing out a one-volume edition of Hatch-Redpath, the most important tool of Septuagint research to this day. The Baker Books edition is hard to pick up in one hand (unless you’re Shack O’Neill!), and my binding has been taped a few times; but that doesn’t diminish the value for those of us who have trouble keeping two volumes together and remembering which one to access for the word sought. I’ll never forget the day in Jerusalem in Emmanuel Tov’s seminar when there lay the book on the table for our inspection. When I got home and had a few bucks, I bought one for myself at the Westminster Seminary bookstore. Thanks again, Bob. Answering your question: “st.” abbreviates “stative”and tells us that – for example – the transitive verb ἀμύνομαι (amunomai) at Isaiah 59:16 corresponds to the Hebrew תּוֹשַׁע לוֹ, (yasha hi, as you have it), which has the stative sense “he is saved.” Same with the ἀνατίθημι (ana tithemi) verses Lev. 27:28-29, that have the transitive verb “place” in conjunction with the Hebrew hofal of חרם in the stative sense “is taboo, destined for annihilation.” I can't figure out "32a."  My version of Strongs has ἀγγεῖον (aggeion) at number 30 of the “Greek Dictionary of the New Testament.”  Number 32 is ἄγγελος (aggelos).  Now you know why I use Hatch-Redpath.

        Andrew Fincke

        To: LXX@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 28, 2014
          Thank you for your answer.

          Hatch-Redpath . is it a public domain/license released for opensource use?

          If so. Does it exist in a ordered data format? database, cvs...?

          Gods peace

          Kriss

        • Barry Hofstetter
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 28, 2014
            On 1/28/2014 5:42 PM, krizoek@... wrote:
            > Thank you for your answer.
            >
            > Hatch-Redpath . is it a public domain/license released for opensource use?
            >
            > If so. Does it exist in a ordered data format? database, cvs...?

            I hate to mention this, but in Logos Bible software, I can simply
            position my cursor over any vocabulary item in the LXX, and it brings up
            the Hebrew word... If I pull up the word in a search, I can then see
            every Hebrew word that it translates, and I'm sure I can do other nifty
            things as well.

            --
            N.E. Barry Hofstetter

            Opinions in private email do not reflect those of any institution with
            which I am affiliated
          • andrew
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 28, 2014
              Dear List,
              Sorry I goofed with "decade."  The one-volume Hatch-Redpath came out at the end of the last century, 1998 to be precise.  The full title is A Concordance to the Septuagint and the Other Greek Versions of the Old Testament, Second Edition, with Introductory essay by Bob Kraft and Emmanuel Tov and "Hebrew/Aramaic Index to the Septuagint" by T. Muraoka.  The whole thing is a gold mine of information, including black filled-in circles, which refer the reader to pages xxiii-xxvi in the front, where corrections to the first edition are entered.   The first edition came out between 1897 and 1906 in the form three volumes, which finally coalesced to two.  See the sixth entry in the Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0801042704/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1390951969&sr=8-3&keywords=concordance+to+the+septuagint&condition=used
              It was just a lot of volumes to haul around.  And now we have BibleWorks with much the same information, although Hatch-Redpath has more, such as variants from codex Alexandrinus.  Anyway, Baker Books dropped it, so look for it at the Amazon link, specifically items 1, 3 and 4 on the second page there.  If the price is less than $70 you're only getting pieces of Hatch-Redpath, most likely the supplement ("volume 3").
              By the way, Pierre, I found out what "yesha hi" is at amuno.

              Yesha transcribes the Hebrew ישׁע, which is the verb at Isa. 59:16, which the Septuagint translates with amunomai.  Yesha is in the hiphil conjugation, which generally has a causative sense but here is stative (st.).  “hi” abbreviates hiphil, and yesha hi was mistakenly copied from Hatch-Redpath’s יָשַׁע hi. – which is yasha hi - at page 67.

              Andrew Fincke

              To: LXX@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 28, 2014
                On 1/28/2014 7:00 PM, Barry Hofstetter wrote:

                > On 1/28/2014 5:42 PM, krizoek@... wrote:
                > > Thank you for your answer.
                > >
                > > Hatch-Redpath . is it a public domain/license released for
                > opensource use?
                > >
                > > If so. Does it exist in a ordered data format? database, cvs...?
                >
                > I hate to mention this, but in Logos Bible software, I can simply
                > position my cursor over any vocabulary item in the LXX, and it brings up
                > the Hebrew word...

                Any equivalent for the Greek... as for example Ekklesia?

                James
              • andrew
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 29, 2014
                  Dear James,
                  Does it work that simply for the Peshitta Old Testament?  I was so excited to hear that Logos finally bought into the Leiden Peshitta Institute's Online Old Testament that I called Seattle and bought a trial version.  When I coldn't get a Peshitta verse to appear - let alone allow me to work with it -  I returned the software.  Can you get a Peshitta Old Testament verse up on your screen and "simply position my cursor over (a word) and it brings up the Hebrew word?"  If so, tell me how.
                  Andrew

                  To: LXX@yahoogroups.com
                  From: jamesjay@...
                  Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 22:50:53 -0500

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 29, 2014
                    Hi Andrew;

                    I can't answer about the Peshitta Old Testament as I am unfamiliar with
                    it. What I do know is that often the LXX uses Greek words to indicate
                    words in the English translations that are not used in the -New-
                    Testament. Ekklesia is one such word. In some English versions the New
                    Testament has "church" in many places whereas in the Old Testament
                    wherever the LXX uses the Greek word "Ekklesia" it's never "church".
                    It's usually either "assembly" or "congregation". That t'wer my point in
                    my question to Mr Hofstetter.

                    James
                    .

                    --
                  • Barry H.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 29, 2014
                      On 1/29/2014 11:37 AM, andrew wrote:
                      > Dear James,
                      > Does it work that simply for the Peshitta Old Testament? I was so
                      > excited to hear that Logos finally bought into the Leiden Peshitta
                      > Institute's Online Old Testament that I called Seattle and bought a
                      > trial version. When I coldn't get a Peshitta verse to appear - let
                      > alone allow me to work with it - I returned the software. Can you get
                      > a Peshitta Old Testament verse up on your screen and "simply position my
                      > cursor over (a word) and it brings up the Hebrew word?" If so, tell me how.
                      > Andrew

                      Actually, it was me, not James, who made the claim about the LXX. I do
                      not have the Peshitta as part of my Logos package. You could perhaps
                      send directly to Logos with your question.

                      --
                      N.E. Barry Hofstetter
                      Semper melius Latine sonat

                      Private opinions expressed in this email do not reflect the opinions of
                      any institution which which I am affiliated
                    • nppaul2004
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 30, 2014
                        Greetings Andrew,

                        You appear to be asking if the Logos Peshitta text is morphologically tagged.  I checked their web site and found that it is not.  They do include a limited apparatus and offer two Syriac scripts:  Serto and Estrangela.

                        The Logos LXX is tagged, thus the cursor hovering data as noted below.

                        BibleWorks includes a non-tagged text as well.

                        Accordance includes a grammatically tagged text as contained in Peshitta manuscript 7a1 (Milan, Ambrosian Library).

                        I hope this helps.

                        Best,
                        Jay

                        From: andrew finckea@...

                        Dear James,

                        From: jamesjay@...

                        > I hate to mention this, but in Logos Bible software, I can simply
                        > position my cursor over any vocabulary item in the LXX, and it brings up
                        > the Hebrew word...
                      • Barry
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 31, 2014
                          I think having a morphologically tagged Peshitta text would be excellent. I for one am going to send a note to that effect to Logos, and I suggest any other Logos users on this list do as well. If they think they can sell a few copies, they will do it...

                          N.E. Barry Hofstetter
                          Sent from my iPad
                          Personal opinions expressed in this email do not reflect any institution with which I may be affiliated

                          From: andrew finckea@...

                          Dear James,

                          From: jamesjay@...

                          > I hate to mention this, but in Logos Bible software, I can simply
                          > position my cursor over any vocabulary item in the LXX, and it brings up
                          > the Hebrew word...

                        • andrew
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 31, 2014
                            Dear Jay,
                            With "BibleWorks includes a non-tagged text as well" I assume you're referring to their Peshitta New Testament.  BibleWorks doesn't have a Peshitta Old Testament.  Unless things have changed since my last email correspondence with them in December.
                            Andrew Fincke

                            To: LXX@yahoogroups.com

                            From: andrew finckea@...

                            Dear James,

                            From: jamesjay@...

                            > I hate to mention this, but in Logos Bible software, I can simply
                            > position my cursor over any vocabulary item in the LXX, and it brings up
                            > the Hebrew word...

                          • Jon Westcot
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 31, 2014
                              I might be on that list of buyers.

                              To: LXX@yahoogroups.com

                              From: andrew finckea@...

                              Dear James,

                              From: jamesjay@...

                              > I hate to mention this, but in Logos Bible software, I can simply
                              > position my cursor over any vocabulary item in the LXX, and it brings up
                              > the Hebrew word...

                            • Jim Darlack
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 4, 2014

                                Hello all,

                                Does anyone know if images of the LXX for Vaticanus and Alexandrinus are on the web anywhere?

                                A professor is particularly interested in finding images for Jonah 4:2-5. I have the facsimile of Vaticanus at our library, but I’m having a hard time tracking down images of Alexandrinus.

                                Thanks for whatever help you may be able to give.

                                Jim Darlack, maot, mant, mslis
                                Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction

                                GORDON-CONWELL
                                THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY

                                GODDARD LIBRARY
                                130 ESSEX STREET, SOUTH HAMILTON, MA 01982
                                (978) 646-4004 | jdarlack@...
                                www.facebook.com/goddardlibrary
                                www.gordonconwell.edu/library

                              • James Miller
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 4, 2014
                                  I photographed all of Baber's pseudo-facsimile of Codex A a couple of
                                  years ago and could probably provide an image of the passage in question,
                                  if that would suit. As you may be aware, the Baber edition is a
                                  19th-century transcription of the codex that aims to duplicate its size,
                                  script, pagination, and other characteristics (it's like Tischendorff's
                                  pseudo-facsimile of Sinaiticus, if you're familiar with that). So, what
                                  I'm offering is a photograph of a page from that transcription, rather
                                  than a photograph (or photograph of a photograph) of the actual manuscript
                                  itself.

                                  James

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 4, 2014

                                    Oh the wonders of pseudofacsimiles!

                                    I’d love to see a copy.

                                    Thanks, James.

                                    ~Jim

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 4, 2014
                                      Jim and James,
                                      My alma mater Amherst College has a copy of Baber in the archives, and when I was there two years ago in the throws of helping Sigrid Peterson on Fourth Maccabees - as well as Rob Hiebert, in charge of the Goettingen volume - I photographed all the Fourth Macc. pages and a few from 1-2 Samuel.  I have the Fourth Maccabee pages printed out on 4X6" photo papers.  The Samuel pages are on the hard drive.  I can't find off the top of my head the Maccabee page files.  If I can be of asssistance, tell me.  I may get back to Amherst some time soon and - providing I'm there on a week day when the archives are open - would be willing to photo Jonah 4:2-5.  That's quite a job, James, photographing the whole thing!  The Baber work is the eighth world wonder - a facsimile done by hand rather than camera!  And done well!
                                      Andrew Fincke

                                      To: LXX@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: jdarlack@...
                                      Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 20:46:53 +0000

                                      Oh the wonders of pseudofacsimiles!

                                      I’d love to see a copy. Smiling face (black and white)

                                      Thanks, James.

                                      ~Jim

                                      I photographed all of Baber's pseudo-facsimile of Codex A a couple of
                                      years ago and could probably provide an image of the passage in question,
                                      if that would suit. As you may be aware, the Baber edition is a
                                      19th-century transcription of the codex that aims to duplicate its size,
                                      script, pagination, and other characteristics (it's like Tischendorff's
                                      pseudo-facsimile of Sinaiticus, if you're familiar with that). So, what
                                      I'm offering is a photograph of a page from that transcription, rather
                                      than a photograph (or photograph of a photograph) of the actual manuscript
                                      itself.

                                      James

                                      On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Jim Darlack wrote:

                                      > Hello all,
                                      >

                                      > Does anyone know if images of the LXX for Vaticanus and Alexandrinus are on the web anywhere?
                                      >

                                      > A professor is particularly interested in finding images for Jonah 4:2-5. I have the facsimile of Vaticanus at our
                                      > library, but I’m having a hard time tracking down images of Alexandrinus.
                                      >

                                      > Thanks for whatever help you may be able to give.
                                      >

                                      > Jim Darlack, maot, mant, mslis
                                      > Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction
                                      >
                                      > GORDON-CONWELL
                                      > THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
                                      >
                                      > GODDARD LIBRARY
                                      > 130 ESSEX STREET, SOUTH HAMILTON, MA 01982
                                      > (978) 646-4004 | jdarlack@...
                                      > www.facebook.com/goddardlibrary
                                      > www.gordonconwell.edu/library

                                    • Philip
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 20, 2014
                                        Dear Listees,

                                        in Habakkuk 2:4 the reflexive verb, ὑποστείληται, is used. Could not an active verb have sufficed?

                                        Thank you,

                                        Philip Engmann

                                        To: LXX@yahoogroups.com

                                        From: andrew finckea@...

                                        Dear James,

                                        From: jamesjay@...

                                        > I hate to mention this, but in Logos Bible software, I can simply
                                        > position my cursor over any vocabulary item in the LXX, and it brings up
                                        > the Hebrew word...

                                      • andrew
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 24, 2014
                                          Philip,
                                          Pesher Habakkuk from the Dead Sea (1QpHab VII, 14) thinks עֻפְּלָה is a scribal mistake for יכפלו, which means something like “double, do two times.”  The error occurred – so this view – when the ע split into ayin/vav (ו) for the right vertical and pe (פ) for the left vertical.  Pe in Herodian script is not so fat as today’s פ and differs from nun (נ) only through the downward slant of the upper left projection.  From a theological standpoint one would say that the Qumran people subsitituted יכ, i.e. J(esus) C(hrist) for the ע of Παῦλος (Paul) of the masoretic Hab. 2:4.  Just as Acts served as addendum to the gospels, so Paul “doubled” the gospels Chief Character.  The Septuagint continuously endeavored to exploit its broad Biblical perspective in enforcing New Testament details on the old.

                                          Andrew Fincke

                                          From: andrew finckea@...

                                          Dear James,

                                          From: jamesjay@...

                                          > I hate to mention this, but in Logos Bible software, I can simply
                                          > position my cursor over any vocabulary item in the LXX, and it brings up
                                          > the Hebrew word...

                                        • andrew
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 26, 2014
                                            Dear List,

                                            Dumb me!  Forget the bit about pe (פ)!  Herodian kof (כ) and pe are similar.  Kof has an upper left projection that hooks up, nun has no upper left projection, and pe has a straight line projecting down.  A right vertical spine and a left jutting horizontal base characterizes all three.  You’ve got to forgive the Dead Sea people for ignoring Paul – he was still in his mother’s womb when the Romans wiped them out!  “Paul” is the way the Septuagint dealt with the strange Hebrew word עֻפְּלָה (‘uppela or ‘oppela).  They transcribed it with οπαλα, which degenerated into Παῦλος “Paul.” Hope Bob (Kraft) doesn’t kill me for dating the Septuagint Habakkuk to the Christian era!  In any case here’s what his 8HevXIIgr has at Column XVII, lines 29-30:

                                            [ιση.]  4ιδ[ου] σκοτια ουκ ευθεια ψυχη αυτου [εν]

                                            [αυτω και δι]καιος εν πιστει αυτου ζησετ[αι.]

                                            “Look!  He’s blind (lit. darkness), his soul isn’t

                                            right with him!  And the just will live by faith.”

                                            If that isn’t preconversion Paul, I don’t know what is.  In any case (don’t tell, Bob, who lives off royalties from the Oxford edition, DJD VIII) the whole scroll is accessible at http://www.thewaytoyahuweh.com/tag/nahal-hever.  If somebody knows how to cut and paste from that tell me.  What you see above was typed in from a printout of the .pdf. I seem to lack the Greek font, which isn't listed.

                                            Andrew Fincke

                                            From: finckea@...
                                            To: LXX@yahoogroups.com
                                            Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:01:06 -0400

                                            From: andrew finckea@...

                                            Dear James,

                                            From: jamesjay@...

                                            > I hate to mention this, but in Logos Bible software, I can simply
                                            > position my cursor over any vocabulary item in the LXX, and it brings up
                                            > the Hebrew word...

                                          • Barry H.
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 3, 2014
                                              On 1/31/2014 7:03 AM, Barry wrote:
                                              > I think having a morphologically tagged Peshitta text would be
                                              > excellent. I for one am going to send a note to that effect to Logos,
                                              > and I suggest any other Logos users on this list do as well. If they
                                              > think they can sell a few copies, they will do it...

                                              I know that it's been a while, but I did send in the suggestion to
                                              Logos, and got a nice response that they would be glad to consider the
                                              suggestion. The more suggestions they get the more likely we are to see
                                              it sometime in the future.

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 3, 2014
                                                Also, in Psalm 26:5 the LXX has the Greek word "Ekklesia" for assembly.
                                                This indicates that Ekklesia is something other than a 'church" for no
                                                one would call the assembly of evildoers a church.

                                                This shows how very helpful it is to be as familiar with the LXX as
                                                possible.

                                                James
                                                .