about numbering psalms

  • William Yarchin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2013
      "My question would be was there and sort of numbering system taht was
      employed by Jerome or Philo, by the Rabbics of the Exilic period, or back
      even to Solomon and David?"

      Except for things like Jerome's counting the number of books that comprise
      the Jewish canon (Contra Apion 1.38-40), and the attribution of some 4,050
      compositions to David (11Q5 27.4-11), it doesn't seem as though ancient
      Jews or their Israelite forebears numbered any chapters or psalms until,
      perhaps, the 6th century CE at the very earliest. But I'm still looking
      into this.

      Bill

      --
      William Yarchin, Ph.D.
      Dean's Endowed Professor of Biblical Studies