Re: The Preposition ek Provides Emphasis? LXX Dt 32:43 in synch

  • MJ
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 16, 2013
      I can only speculate concerning the motives of other members of the group for not responding. My own motive is that I rather doubt that it does "provide emphasis", but I don't feel strongly enough about it to do the 'homework' to come up with evidence one way or the other.

      What I do know is that at diverse periods of the long history of the Greek language, often 'ek' has droppped the original force of the preposition, and became a way of expressing aspect rather than tense. I remember a note, for example, in The Cambride Greek and Latin Classics edition of Oedipus Rex that this use was common in Sophocles.

      Of course, Sophocles wrote in a very different kind of Greek than the LXX translators. But it seems even more likely to me to be the case in the LXX period, since Browning claims that the Hellenistic period was precisely when aspect became more important than before.

      Even in this passage, it makes perfect sense to me that 'ek' simply expresses a perfective aspect, no other kind of 'emphasis' at all. But if you feel otherwise, I would suggest you pick a few 'ek' prefixed verbs at random and compare their definitions with and without the prefix between the lemmas in Liddell and Scott vs. those in an LXX Greek lexicon, and/or look at evidence for such emphasis in Hatch and Redpath.