Re: [lxx] Re: Part 2 of Gottingen Septuagint primer (Apparatus I)

  • Abram Kielsmeier-Jones
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
      Thanks for your reply, Chris,

      Agreed. I do find the Pentateuch in Goettingen to be an easier place to begin--probably also a good entry point for the new user of the Goettingen volumes.

      But there is more to be done here, for sure. I'm slowly working my way through Isaiah (with Ziegler and Ottley) so may have a chance in the future to make comment on that volume.

      Though if others know of any other resources for using Goettingen, I'd be happy to hear about them. V&R (that publishes Goettingen--sorry for the lack of umlaut!) has just published a couple-hundred page user guide (in German) to the Pentateuch, with one for Ruth coming out soon. That's the first thing of its kind that I've seen. (http://amzn.to/13vZLxs)

      Peace,
      Abram

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
        This is very helpful, of course. Mention might also be made (unless I've
        missed it) of the more atomistically formatted presentation of the first
        apparatus variants in the CATSS files --
        http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rak//catss.html

        Also, the following paragraph is somewhat misleading insofar as such
        removable summary charts are also included in the original volumes; what
        Van Pelt has done, thankfully, is to translate the German and Latin
        explanations for the English-language user -- see also the appropriate
        section in
        http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/02Exod-Wevers-Intro.html
        (the most complete translated Introduction, by Wevers himself, plus some
        additions of my own such as translations of the Latin terms):

        Miles Van Pelt
        <https://abramkj.wordpress.com/?s=miles+van+pelt> has produce[d]
        a concise two-page summary of sigla and
        abbreviations. I offer appreciation and gratitude to
        Miles that I can link to that pdf here
        <http://abramkj.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/gc3b6ttingen-lxx-sigla_mvp.pdf>.
        That offers further instruction as to deciphering
        the apparatuses (both the first and second)
        in the Göttingen volumes. The introductions to given
        volumes contain the signs/symbols and abbreviations
        ("Zeichen und Abkürzungen"), as well.

        In any event, thanks to all for helping to demystify these valuable
        textual tools!

        Bob Kraft,
        Emeritus faculty co-director (with Emanuel Tov) of the CATSS projects