Re: Part 2 of Gottingen Septuagint primer (Apparatus I)

  • Danger
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2013
      Thanks, Abram. I found this post helpful, and have saved the PDF guide to the sigla and abbreviations for further use.

      This seemed pretty straightforward. I'd be curious to see analysis of the first apparatus in different volumes in the series. My impression has been that not all volumes are necessarily as thorough as others, depending on the editor. I'd be curious to compare this analysis from the Pentateuch with similar analyses in the Prophets and Writings.

      Keep up the good work, my friend.

      Sincerely,

      Chris

      --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Abram Kielsmeier-Jones wrote:

      > Hi, everyone,
      >
      > I wrote to the list some time ago with a link to a 1500 word writeup I did on understanding and using the�G�ttingen Septuagint (that was here:�http://wp.me/p2muvc-Hc)
      >
      > Here, now, is part two, covering the first critical apparatus:�http://wp.me/p2muvc-Ni
      >
      > I pass this on in case this is of interest to anyone (whether for personal use, or something to point students to), and I especially am grateful for any feedback, as this is a work in progress.
      >
      > Peace,
      >
      > Abram Kielsmeier-Jones

    • Abram Kielsmeier-Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
        Thanks for your reply, Chris,

        Agreed. I do find the Pentateuch in Goettingen to be an easier place to begin--probably also a good entry point for the new user of the Goettingen volumes.

        But there is more to be done here, for sure. I'm slowly working my way through Isaiah (with Ziegler and Ottley) so may have a chance in the future to make comment on that volume.

        Though if others know of any other resources for using Goettingen, I'd be happy to hear about them. V&R (that publishes Goettingen--sorry for the lack of umlaut!) has just published a couple-hundred page user guide (in German) to the Pentateuch, with one for Ruth coming out soon. That's the first thing of its kind that I've seen. (http://amzn.to/13vZLxs)

        Peace,
        Abram

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
          This is very helpful, of course. Mention might also be made (unless I've
          missed it) of the more atomistically formatted presentation of the first
          apparatus variants in the CATSS files --
          http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rak//catss.html

          Also, the following paragraph is somewhat misleading insofar as such
          removable summary charts are also included in the original volumes; what
          Van Pelt has done, thankfully, is to translate the German and Latin
          explanations for the English-language user -- see also the appropriate
          section in
          http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/02Exod-Wevers-Intro.html
          (the most complete translated Introduction, by Wevers himself, plus some
          additions of my own such as translations of the Latin terms):

          Miles Van Pelt
          <https://abramkj.wordpress.com/?s=miles+van+pelt> has produce[d]
          a concise two-page summary of sigla and
          abbreviations. I offer appreciation and gratitude to
          Miles that I can link to that pdf here
          <http://abramkj.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/gc3b6ttingen-lxx-sigla_mvp.pdf>.
          That offers further instruction as to deciphering
          the apparatuses (both the first and second)
          in the Göttingen volumes. The introductions to given
          volumes contain the signs/symbols and abbreviations
          ("Zeichen und Abkürzungen"), as well.

          In any event, thanks to all for helping to demystify these valuable
          textual tools!

          Bob Kraft,
          Emeritus faculty co-director (with Emanuel Tov) of the CATSS projects