Septuagint bibliography

  • Ken Penner
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
      The latest bulk addition to the Septuagint bibliography<http://www.zotero.org/groups/septuagint> on Zotero<http://www.zotero.org/groups/septuagint> is from the United Bible Societies<http://www.ubs-translations.org/bibliographies/#c519>. Thanks to Sarah Lind for over 500 entries mainly from the 1990s.
      http://www.zotero.org/groups/septuagint
      Since this import involved an automated conversion of bibliographic data, it is in need of clean-up work. Your help in improving the quality of this data is appreciated. To join this crowd-sourced effort, join the Zotero group.
      Appreciatively,
      Ken

      Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor, Religious Studies
      Nicholson Tower 409
      St. Francis Xavier University
      Antigonish, NS B2G 2W5
      Canada
      (902)867-2265
      kpenner@...

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
        Please tell us how to help with this material. I joined Zotero (with
        great hesitation), but can't find information on accessing and editing
        the bibliographical information on the Septuagint site.

        Bob Kraft, UPenn emeritus

        On 1/1/2013 3:58 PM, Ken Penner wrote:
        > The latest bulk addition to the Septuagint bibliography<http://www.zotero.org/groups/septuagint> on Zotero<http://www.zotero.org/groups/septuagint> is from the United Bible Societies<http://www.ubs-translations.org/bibliographies/#c519>. Thanks to Sarah Lind for over 500 entries mainly from the 1990s.
        > http://www.zotero.org/groups/septuagint
        > Since this import involved an automated conversion of bibliographic data, it is in need of clean-up work. Your help in improving the quality of this data is appreciated. To join this crowd-sourced effort, join the Zotero group.
        > Appreciatively,
        > Ken
        >
        > Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
        > Assistant Professor, Religious Studies
        > Nicholson Tower 409
        > St. Francis Xavier University
        > Antigonish, NS B2G 2W5
        > Canada
        > (902)867-2265
        > kpenner@...

      • Ken Penner
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
          I just changed the library settings for the Septuagint group so that any member can edit entries. To become a member, click the Join Group button at http://www.zotero.org/groups/septuagint
          There are two ways to edit the entries:

          1. Install Zotero on your computer (recommended) either as a Firefox extension or as a standalone application (Windows, Mac, or Linux), from http://www.zotero.org/download/ There is a quick start guide at http://www.zotero.org/support/quick_start_guide

          2. If you don't want to install anything on your computer, you can edit the entries online. At https://www.zotero.org/groups/septuagint you can click on the title of the item, taking you to a page with a row of icons above the title, one of which is the "Edit" button.
          Let me know if more specifics would be helpful.
          Ken

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
            Thanks, Ken. Meanwhile I also received from Zotero your invitation to
            join the Septuagint group. I agreed to that and logged in. I didn't see
            any way to search for specific authors -- primarily myself -- but was
            able to find one "Kraft" entry under the "Kalvesmaki" section of the
            "Library." So I edited that entry (an unnamed article), and added a
            selection of other items -- a book, an article, an unpublished
            "presentation" available online, and a book review (although that
            category does not exist in the options menu). I just rechecked the
            "Library" and the "Kalvesmaki" sections, and do not find any "Kraft"
            materials now, not even the one that had been there. Perhaps they get
            held in limbo for your approval? In any event, the system looks very
            useful especially for non-standard publications (such as electronic) and
            notes, if it is possible to find things once they are present. Is there
            a simpler search process for that purpose? I couldn't find such. And a
            category for book reviews would seem to me to be a basic essential.

            Or maybe I'm too old for these newfangled approaches!? In any event,
            thanks for calling attention to this option.

            Bob

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
              Apologies, Ken. I went back and discovered that the search box works
              within designated sections such as Kalvesmaki, where Kraft is well
              represented. But I still failed to find an overall search option. Does
              it exist?

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
                I found 23 items searching for "Kraft" under the main library. The URL for this query is https://www.zotero.org/groups/septuagint/items/q/kraft
                I hope this helps,
                Ken

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
                  Thanks, Ken. I've just gone through all the sub-libraries to confirm
                  your finding -- actually 22 items, since Stipp's work is listed twice
                  and includes the segment "kraft" in the title ("Triebkräfte"). If I
                  search for Kraft, Robert, I get only one hit (why is that?). The newly
                  contributed items are already included in the "Library" search, and now
                  I can gradually add more. So for new users, the best general approach
                  seems to be to search "Library" by last name (Penner returns 7 hits,
                  Wevers 53, and Tov 56 -- details need to be added to several, such as
                  article titles). One can also search for title words (e.g. "context"
                  gives 21 hits) or to a limited extent publishers ("society" identifies
                  20 hits, but "Brill" none!). So it is a simple and limited search
                  feature, but it can provide useful results.

                  Ken has requested assistance, and one area to help with is article
                  titles (often only the title of an anthology appears, with the name of
                  the contributor and the page numbers (e.g. Tov) but not the title of the
                  contribution). Often this information can easily be found by a web
                  search and added. But beyond such matters, one great potential of the
                  Zotero bibliographical tool would be to identify significant internet
                  publications and similar notes that might otherwise be difficult to
                  locate. I haven't fully tested whether the general search function
                  covers the abstracts, notes, and the like that appear in a listing, but
                  seems not to do so. Hopefully this can be made possible at some point,
                  to further enhance the usefulness of this service.

                  Happy 2013, and some things to do in one's spare time!

                  Bob