RE: [lxx] Re: Part of a short primer on how to understand the Göttingen

  • Ken Penner
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2012
      Chris,
      With the academic discount, the Logos Göttingen is currently $350 (for 25 volumes)! At that price, I should think it is very much worth it if you are writing your dissertation on anything LXX and plan to continue in the field.
      Ken

      Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor, Religious Studies
      Nicholson Tower 409
      St. Francis Xavier University
      Antigonish, NS B2G 2W5
      Canada
      (902)867-2265
      kpenner@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2012
        I humbly disagree Ken.
        The Goettingen Septuagint is stagnant. The only volume to come out in years is the Ruth volume, that Quast completed shortly before his departure from this world. It's far inferior to the Brooke-McLean volume of the same title and Rahlfs' own edition from 1922, Das Buch Ruth griechisch, which was preceded in 1921 by his exhaustive Studie ueber den griechischen Text des Buches Ruth, , MSU 3, 49-163. Rob Hiebert has been a decade on the Fourth Maccabees volume, and - so I gather from his silence - it's far from completion. Same with the Samuel volumes in the hands of Aejmelaeus in Finland and Hugo in Fribourg. Bob's departure from Penn - or his reduced activity there - has removed the impetus from that end. I don't think ithe problem is slothfulness of the editors. The project is apparently broke.
        Andrew Fincke

        To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
        From: kpenner@...
        Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 08:51:38 -0400
        Subject: RE: [lxx] Re: Part of a short primer on how to understand the G�ttingen

        Chris,
        With the academic discount, the Logos G�ttingen is currently $350 (for 25 volumes)! At that price, I should think it is very much worth it if you are writing your dissertation on anything LXX and plan to continue in the field.
        Ken

        Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
        Assistant Professor, Religious Studies
        Nicholson Tower 409
        St. Francis Xavier University
        Antigonish, NS B2G 2W5
        Canada
        (902)867-2265
        kpenner@...

        >>I do, actually, have a review of the Logos version
        of G�ttingen forthcomi ng. Are you eligible for their academic
        discount? If so, the price cuts about in half for that resource.

        Thanks. I hadn't thought of pursuing a student discount. That's still a hefty price tag, but it might be doable.

        Sincerely,

        Chris

      • Abram Kielsmeier-Jones
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2012
          Note, Chris (and others), that the Logos version of Göttingen lacks the Kopfleiste (Source-List), for reasons I have not been able to figure out or hear back from Logos on.  It is included in the Accordance version (where it exists in the given volume of Göttingen) from what I can tell.  It's significantly pricier in Accordance, though, and not all currently published volumes are in Accordance, whereas Logos is up-to-date with regard to what's been completed in Göttingen.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2012
            Hi Andy,
            What exactly are you are disagreeing with?

            To: lxx@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2012
              Ken,
              I want people to enjoy working with the Septuagint. The jammed together Rahlfs numbers plague the user of the Goettingen volumes. The eleven pages of the Brooke-McLean Ruth (The Old Testament in Greek I,4: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, Cambridge, 1917, 687-697 available at www.archive.org) are a masterpiece of formatting. The 35 pages of Quast's Ruth, 159-193 are a torture to the eyesight. Rahlfs' own edition of Ruth, which claims all of 8 pages (Das Buch Ruth griechisch als Probe einer kritischen Handausgabe der Septuaginta, Stuttgart, 1922, 21-28) was meant as simplification of the Brooke-McLean edition. Rahlfs knew that there was no room for his manuscript sigla in the apparatus and confined them to the introduction. See page 4 of his companion volume, Studie ueber den griechischen Text des Buches Ruth, Goettingen, 1921, 4: "... and that especially the edition of Brooke-McLean - due to the comprehensiveness and reliability of its text-critical apparatus - offers an excellent basis for ongoing work (with the Greek text)." Rahlfs wanted nothing more than to make the evidence Brooke-McLean labeled with single letters and Gothic symbols more available to the user by grouping oft agreeing witnesses under his own sigla, patterned after but differing from those of Brooke-McLean. The last thing Rahlfs intended was to junk up the apparatus with the two- and three-digit sigla of his Verzeichnis (1914: Verzeichnis der griechischen Handschriften des Alten Testaments). Rahlfs' intention was to exploit the photocopies he had assembled and would continue to assemble in the postwar years to update the Brooke-McLean work and thus show the English that the Germans were still alive and kicking. If you can get Brooke-McLean online for free - or purchase the reprint from Cambridge University Press - why throw money at Logos or Eisenbrauns for a faulty endeavor - a perversion of Rahlfs' dream - that, I assure you, will gather dust on your hardrive?
              Andrew Fincke
              PS The Quast Ruth admittedly includes readings that complement Brooke-McLean, and I devised a system for Bob's CCAT/CATSS project that would use capital Greek letters to enable the unobtrusive incorporation of this material into a revised Cambridge edition. The 21 Greek capitals apart from A. B and M - which Brooke-McLean reserves for the three uncial witnesses to Ruth - suffice to brand the new material.

              To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
              From: kpenner@...
              Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 07:54:14 -0400

              To: lxx@yahoogroups.com

              >>I do, actually, have a review of the Logos version
              of G�ttingen forthcomi ng. Are you eligible for their academic discount? If so, the price cuts about in half for that resource.

            • kraft@sas.upenn.edu
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 10, 2012
                Different people want to make different uses of the textcritical
                materials. At CCAT we have tried to reformat the Goettingen (and
                other) materials so that various things could be done with them, such
                as recreating any particular manuscript or searching for all the
                plusses or minuses in particular MSS or families, or similar
                explorations that would be most easily done (especially 30 years ago!)
                with a more consistently "atomized" apparatus -- one word per
                line/record. The task has not been completed, but much of the results
                are available freely on the CATSS site, in files that can easily be
                updated as new material becomes available. See
                http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rak//catss.html.

                Bob Kraft, co-director CATSS and emeritus UPenn