Septuaginta editio altera

  • Danger
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2012
      Esteemed Colleagues,

      I notice that Eisenbrauns has just announced a generous Deal of the Day for the edited Septuaginta:

      Septuaginta

      editio altera
      Edited by Alfred Rahlfs and Robert Hanhart

      Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft Stuttgart, 2006. Cloth. Greek.

      ISBN: 9783438051196
      List Price: $79.95

      Your Price: $43.97
      Rahlfs standard edition of the Septuagint has been checked and
      corrected in about 1000 places by Robert Hanhart making this a /must
      have/ for anyone involved in textual criticism or Septuagint studies.

      Does anyone on this list know of a thorough review of this edition?

      Currently, I depend mainly on the Gottingen Septuagint when doing textual criticism in this area, but I wonder if Hanhart's volume might also be helpful, particularly in the Minor Prophets.

      Any further information is most appreciated.

      Sincerely,

      Chris Lovelace
    • James Spinti
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2012
        Chris,

        The Göttingen is far superior--where it exists--as it is a major edition. Rahlfs/Hanhart is a hand edition, therefore it has far fewer variants. Hanhart went through and did over 1000 corrections and additions, but it is still a hand edition. Whenever possible use the Göttingen. But, where it doesn't exist, the editio altera is an improvement over the original.

        HTH,
        James
        ________________________________
        James Spinti
        E-mail marketing, Book Sales Division
        jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
        Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
        Phone: 260-445-3118
        Fax: 574-269-6788

        On Nov 8, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Danger wrote:

        > Esteemed Colleagues,
        >
        > I notice that Eisenbrauns has just announced a generous Deal of the Day for the edited Septuaginta:
        >
        > Septuaginta
        >
        > editio altera
        > Edited by Alfred Rahlfs and Robert Hanhart
        >
        > Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft Stuttgart, 2006. Cloth. Greek.
        >
        > ISBN: 9783438051196
        > List Price: $79.95
        >
        > Your Price: $43.97
        > Rahlfs standard edition of the Septuagint has been checked and
        > corrected in about 1000 places by Robert Hanhart making this a /must
        > have/ for anyone involved in textual criticism or Septuagint studies.
        >
        > Does anyone on this list know of a thorough review of this edition?
        >
        > Currently, I depend mainly on the Gottingen Septuagint when doing textual criticism in this area, but I wonder if Hanhart's volume might also be helpful, particularly in the Minor Prophets.
        >
        > Any further information is most appreciated.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Chris Lovelace

      • Joe Dan Boyd
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2012
          Are either of these available in English?

          Joe Dan Boyd Communications
          5107 N. FM 312
          Winnsboro TX 75494
          Email: joedan@...
          My Website: www.joedanboyd.com
          My Spiritual Blog: www.tinneychapeltoday.blogspot.com
          Church Website: http://www.tinneychapel.org/home.html
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/joedanboyd
          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/joedanboyd?ref=profile
          903-375-4603 my office VOIP phone

          903-850-4394 my cell phone
          903-629-3408 my home land line

          ________________________________
          The Göttingen is far superior--where it exists--as it is a major edition. Rahlfs/Hanhart is a hand edition, therefore it has far fewer variants. Hanhart went through and did over 1000 corrections and additions, but it is still a hand edition. Whenever possible use the Göttingen. But, where it doesn't exist, the editio altera is an improvement over the original.

          HTH,
          James
          ________________________________
          James Spinti
          E-mail marketing, Book Sales Division
          jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
          Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
          Phone: 260-445-3118
          Fax: 574-269-6788

          On Nov 8, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Danger wrote:

          > Esteemed Colleagues,
          >
          > I notice that Eisenbrauns has just announced a generous Deal of the Day for the edited Septuaginta:
          >
          > Septuaginta
          >
          > editio altera
          > Edited by Alfred Rahlfs and Robert Hanhart
          >
          > Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft Stuttgart, 2006. Cloth. Greek.
          >
          > ISBN: 9783438051196
          > List Price: $79.95
          >
          > Your Price: $43.97
          > Rahlfs standard edition of the Septuagint has been checked and
          > corrected in about 1000 places by Robert Hanhart making this a /must
          > have/ for anyone involved in textual criticism or Septuagint studies.
          >
          > Does anyone on this list know of a thorough review of this edition?
          >
          > Currently, I depend mainly on the Gottingen Septuagint when doing textual criticism in this area, but I wonder if Hanhart's volume might also be helpful, particularly in the Minor Prophets.
          >
          > Any further information is most appreciated.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Chris Lovelace

        • James Spinti
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2012