Part of a short primer on how to understand the Göttingen Septuagint

  • abramkielsmeierjones
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2012
      Hi, everyone,

      I've just put together part 1 of a short primer on using the Göttingen Septuagint. I'm posting it here not to promote anything of mine, but simpy to ask for any feedback and suggestions for improvement, since I'm sure there will be good suggestions from this group, and since any improvements on what's here can only make this (hopefully) more useful for anyone coming to the Göttingen editions and looking for some explanation.

      http://abramkj.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/how-to-read-and-understand-the-gottingen-septuagint-a-short-primer-part-1/

      Thanks,
      Abram K-J
    • Danger
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2012
        Dear Abram,

        Thank you for this post. I found your description of Section 2 (as you label the "Kopfleiste") very helpful. Primarily, my work with Septuaginta Gottingensis has been in Isaiah and the 12 Prophets - mostly the latter. From my perspective, then, more work of this nature on the Dodekapropheton is a major desideratum. (A certain imbalance persists in Septuagint studies to favor the Pentateuch, probably due in no small part to Wevers's excellent commentaries, which provide a helpful point of departure for studying the Greek witnesses).

        This is by no means a criticism of your work, however.

        Rather, I would like to request that, in the future, you discuss texts other than the Pentateuch as well. Perhaps that is best treated as another project entirely.

        By the way: Have Ziegler's introductions to Isaias or Dodekapropheton been translated into English.

        I would also like to know more about the quality and characteristics of each volume, since the various editors each produce idiosyncratic results. (For instance, I recall reading in a couple of sources that Psalms and Odes [edited by Rahlfs] is inferior to his Genesis text, though I have not seen any specific data to support that assessment.)
        So, my wish list for Gottingensis includes a review of each volume.

        To that list, I would also add a review of the Logos edition. At present, I am not certain whether the $699-module merits purchase (as finances are limited). Any specific information and critique of that edition would be welcome.

        I look forward, Abram, to your discussion of the Apparati.

        May I also suggest that you post this to the Textual Criticism group on Yahoo. The list members there would doubtless appreciate it.

        I hope to have specific feedback as I apply your notes to my study of the Prophets.

        Please keep up the good work.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2012
          Abram,

          You are both industrious and brave in tackling this problem. Since you
          understandably refer to the CATSS materials (electronically published
          English translations of the Introductions, as authorized by the late
          John Wevers before he died), we should probably correspond about what is
          actually on the CATSS site. The most fully edited English Introduction
          is that for Exodus, while Deuteronomy remains to be finished. What you
          are preparing will be a great help to the brave users of these
          materials, and your request for input is timely and appropriate. Keeping
          the introductions updated (as has partly been attempted with Exodus)
          will be a real challenge, but thanks to electronic availability, also
          quite possible. Best wishes for the project!

          Bob Kraft, Emeritus UPenn and CATSS co-director

          On 11/4/2012 12:11 AM, abramkielsmeierjones wrote:
          > Hi, everyone,
          >
          > I've just put together part 1 of a short primer on using the Göttingen Septuagint. I'm posting it here not to promote anything of mine, but simpy to ask for any feedback and suggestions for improvement, since I'm sure there will be good suggestions from this group, and since any improvements on what's here can only make this (hopefully) more useful for anyone coming to the Göttingen editions and looking for some explanation.
          >
          > http://abramkj.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/how-to-read-and-understand-the-gottingen-septuagint-a-short-primer-part-1/
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Abram K-J

        • Abram Kielsmeier-Jones
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2012
            Hi, Danger: Thanks for the feedback.

            If Ziegler has been translated into English, I haven't seen it, though perhaps others on the list can speak to that.

            I'd already started part 2 when I posted part 1--the examples under consideration come from the Pentateuch, simply because at the time I am working on a passage in Deuteronomy, so the completion of my post will likely stay in the Pentateuch.  But I'd love additional feedback form you as you look through the prophets and hold it up next to what I've got here so far.

            To your question about comparing volumes: there is a Companion to the Septuagint coming out soon by T&T Clark/Continuum, which, in their words, "provides a cutting-edge survey of scholarly opinion on the Septuagint text of each biblical book. It covers the characteristics of each Septuagint book, its translation features, origins, text-critical problems and history. As such it provides a comprehensive companion to the Septuagint, featuring contributions from experts in the field."

            I can only assume/hope this means Gottingensis is what's under consideration for each book's "text." Maybe someone on this list can say more about that book coming out?

            I do, actually, have a review of the Logos version of Göttingen forthcoming.  Are you eligible for their academic discount?  If so, the price cuts about in half for that resource.

            Thanks for the recommendation to let the textual criticism group folks know.

            Peace,
            Abram K-J