Re: [lxx] Checking status ongoing LXX > English projects

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
      Mostly me. But all of the LXX in English has recently been finished by Mr. Michael Asser and will be avilable next years. Actually now much less than that. Due to rules that's all I can say. However, they are out there on the net if you just do a quick search.

      Bye.

      Peter A. Papoutsis

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
        You should see a new one unveiled at SBL (end of November).
        In the meantime, check out the list compiled by Joel at http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/texts.htm
        The 2001 Translation is excessively dependent on the Hebrew.
        The Asser translation is derived from the KJV, so uses archaic verbs "hath" and pronouns "ye".
        The Orthodox Study Bible is more readable, but again is derived from the NKJV, and some of the differences between the Hebrew and Greek were overlooked.

        I hope this helps,
        Ken

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
          You should see a new one unveiled at SBL (end of November).

          Uh, What!? A new English translation of the LXX from SBL? at the end of November? Really? Please due tell more.

          Thank you.

          Peter A. Papoutsis

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
            I wonder if this is what you guys are talking about
            I got it off the SBL website, I will be attending and I remember seeing this:

            Greek New Testament SBL Edition

            SBL is pleased to offer, in association with Logos Bible Software, a new, critically edited Greek New Testament in electronic and print formats.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
              --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Ken Penner <kpenner@...> wrote:

              > You should see a new one unveiled at SBL (end of November).

              Great!

              > In the meantime, check out the list compiled by Joel at
              http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/texts.htm
              <http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/texts.htm>

              Thanks.

              > The 2001 Translation is excessively dependent on the Hebrew.

              Which translation is that?

              > The Asser translation is derived from the KJV, so uses archaic verbs
              "hath" and pronouns "ye".

              That's no fun.

              > The Orthodox Study Bible is more readable, but again is derived from
              the NKJV, and some of the differences between the Hebrew and Greek were
              overlooked.

              I am aware of these problems and only use it for reference.

              > I hope this helps,
              > Ken

              It does, thanks!