Checking status ongoing LXX > English projects

  • summascriptura
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
      I've been happily using the N.E.T.S. most days since I got it in 2007.
      But sometimes I'd just like a straight modern English translation of the
      text which has smoothed out all the idiosyncracies of the Greek text.

      Anyone completed one for the whole O.T. (including disputed books)?
    • Peter Papoutsis
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
        Mostly me. But all of the LXX in English has recently been finished by Mr. Michael Asser and will be avilable next years. Actually now much less than that. Due to rules that's all I can say. However, they are out there on the net if you just do a quick search.

        Bye.

        Peter A. Papoutsis

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
          You should see a new one unveiled at SBL (end of November).
          In the meantime, check out the list compiled by Joel at http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/texts.htm
          The 2001 Translation is excessively dependent on the Hebrew.
          The Asser translation is derived from the KJV, so uses archaic verbs "hath" and pronouns "ye".
          The Orthodox Study Bible is more readable, but again is derived from the NKJV, and some of the differences between the Hebrew and Greek were overlooked.

          I hope this helps,
          Ken

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
            You should see a new one unveiled at SBL (end of November).

            Uh, What!? A new English translation of the LXX from SBL? at the end of November? Really? Please due tell more.

            Thank you.

            Peter A. Papoutsis

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
              I wonder if this is what you guys are talking about
              I got it off the SBL website, I will be attending and I remember seeing this:

              Greek New Testament SBL Edition

              SBL is pleased to offer, in association with Logos Bible Software, a new, critically edited Greek New Testament in electronic and print formats.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 11, 2012
                --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Ken Penner <kpenner@...> wrote:

                > You should see a new one unveiled at SBL (end of November).

                Great!

                > In the meantime, check out the list compiled by Joel at
                http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/texts.htm
                <http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/texts.htm>

                Thanks.

                > The 2001 Translation is excessively dependent on the Hebrew.

                Which translation is that?

                > The Asser translation is derived from the KJV, so uses archaic verbs
                "hath" and pronouns "ye".

                That's no fun.

                > The Orthodox Study Bible is more readable, but again is derived from
                the NKJV, and some of the differences between the Hebrew and Greek were
                overlooked.

                I am aware of these problems and only use it for reference.

                > I hope this helps,
                > Ken

                It does, thanks!