Recommendation for book on LXX theological influence on NT?

  • psaulm119
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2011
      I'm not looking for a book that documents LXX quotations. I read a paragraph in Swete's LXX intro that said something to the effect that it would be difficult to over-estimate the influence of the LXX on the theology of the NT (my paraphrase). There are evidently a mass of LXX terms that are used in the NT.

      I have read that Moises Silva has a recent book out on the LXX, but a review said that it seemed to be focused more on textual controversies (which readings are original).

      Can someone recommend a good book on the theological influence of the LXX on the NT?
    • Rafael Dominguez-Hernandez
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2011

        I recommend the book "Early Christian Doctrines",
        by John Norman Davidson Kelly, free available here:

        http://books.google.com/books?id=UivDgM0WywoC&printsec=frontcover

        Also the book "The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Jewish Origins of Christianity",
        by Carsten Peter Thiede, free available here:

        http://books.google.com/books?id=q18JiQSnBksC&printsec=frontcover

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2011
          Thanks, Rafael.

          Can you point me to sections that discuss the LXX' influence on the NT? Kelly's book had two references in the index, and one was simply the contents of the LXX canon. The index of the other wasn't viewable for Google Books.

          --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Dominguez-Hernandez <radohe@...> wrote:

          > I recommend the book "Early Christian Doctrines",
          > by John Norman Davidson Kelly, free available here:
          >
          > http://books.google.com/books?id=UivDgM0WywoC&printsec=frontcover
          >
          > Also the book "The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Jewish Origins of Christianity",
          > by Carsten Peter Thiede, free available here:
          >
          > http://books.google.com/books?id=q18JiQSnBksC&printsec=frontcover

        • Kevin P. Edgecomb
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2011
            There is the very accessible and recent and inexpensive _Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament_ edited by G. K. Beale and D. A. Carson, published by Baker Academic Books, 2007. Silva is one of the contributors. Perhaps this was the volume that you had heard of? _Invitation to the Septuagint_, written by Moises Silva and Karen Jobes (Baker Academic Books, 2000) is something of a summary introduction to the history of the Septuagint's text. It is a good "first read" for newcomers to the subject, which Swete and other older books would not be, as various ideas concerning the Septuagint have been overturned in the last century. The _Commentary..._ volume does deal with textual differences. It's of higher register than other "OT in NT quotations" books that I've seen, which is to say better quality.

            Regards,
            Kevin P. Edgecomb
            Berkeley, California
          • psaulm119
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2011
              That one looked pretty thorough. There was a very systematic way they went through each section, which is nice. On Amazon the preview they made available even showed LXX variants, which is especially nice (I hate looking up a passage in the LXX and finding a rather different text than a commentator is disscussing, so those factors are nice to know). Over 100 pages for each of the gospels, rather thorough--not just textual issues but theological as well. All for under 40 bucks new including shipping. Thanks for the reference.

              Yeah that second one you mentioned was what I was thinking of.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2011

                I'm so sorry. I had not seen that the Google e-book does not appear complete.
                The other book, the Thiede's, contains more sections about this very interesting theme.

                Please check in addition the internal links of this website:

                http://mysite.verizon.net/rgjones3/Septuagint/spindex.htm

                Can you point me to sections that discuss the LXX' influence on the NT? Kelly's book had two references in the index, and one was simply the contents of the LXX canon. The index of the other wasn't viewable for Google Books.

                --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Dominguez-Hernandez <radohe@...> wrote:

                > I recommend the book "Early Christian Doctrines",
                > by John Norman Davidson Kelly, free available here:
                >
                > http://books.google.com/books?id=UivDgM0WywoC&printsec=frontcover
                >
                > Also the book "The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Jewish Origins of Christianity",
                > by Carsten Peter Thiede, free available here:
                >
                > http://books.google.com/books?id=q18JiQSnBksC&printsec=frontcover

              • C L
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2011
                  If I may add to Mr. Hedgecomb's useful comments:

                  There is the very accessible and recent and inexpensive _Commentary on
                  the New Testament Use of the Old Testament_ edited by G. K. Beale and D. A. Carson, published by Baker Academic Books, 2007. Silva is one of
                  the contributors. Perhaps this was the volume that you had heard of?

                  >> Please note that this volume is intended to be a treatment of every use of the Old Testament in the New.  Naturally, one can always find room for improvement, or perhaps more discussion of "OT allusions" as well as citations.  Having expressed that caveat, the book attempts to be as exhaustive as possible. It is arranged book by book according to the NT canon, and gives a running discussion of OT citations as they occur.
                  This is a very useful volume, but it is not an overview.  It is written more to be a reference work. For example, I find it useful to consult when I am preparing to teach an NT passage.

                  _Invitation to the Septuagint_, written by Moises Silva and Karen Jobes
                  (Baker Academic Books, 2000) is something of a summary introduction to
                  the history of the Septuagint's text. It is a good "first read" for
                  newcomers to the subject, which Swete and other older books would not
                  be, as various ideas concerning the Septuagint have been overturned in
                  the last century. The _Commentary. .._ volume does deal with textual
                  differences. It's of higher register than other "OT in NT quotations"
                  books that I've seen, which is to say better quality.

                  >> In addition to Silva and Jobes, I also recommend Fernández Marcos, N., and W. G. E. Watson. 2000. The Septuagint in Context : Introduction to the Greek Version of the Bible. Leiden; Boston; Cologne: Brill, 2000.

                  In fact, just in case you have not done this yet, I recommend reading the following books IN ORDER of publication:

                  Swete, Henry Barclay, and H St J. Thackeray. An introduction to the Old Testament in Greek: with an appendix containing the Letter of Aristeas. Cambridge: CUP, 2009. (Originally published 1909, I believe) (Avail at archive.org)

                  Jellicoe gives an UPDATE of the discipline in Jellicoe, Sidney. The Septuagint and Modern Study. Oxford; New York: Clarendon Pr; Oxford Univ Pr, 1968.

                  Then Fernandez-Marcos gives an update to both of them. (Op cit.)

                  So again, if you have not read all of these, I recommend starting there.  I think that all of these books together answer your question better than any one of them.

                  While we're at it, I also recommend Tov, E. The Greek and Hebrew Bible : Collected Essays on the Septuagint. Leiden; Boston; Cologne: Brill, 1999.

                  Chances are that you're already familiar with all these, but I would be remiss if I did not point them out, just to be sure.

                  ALSO: HERE is a rather useful bibliography for resources on the LXX from 1561 to 1999: http://www.kalvesmaki.com/lxx/BibBkT.htm.

                  All the best,

                  Chris Lovelace,
                  Argentina