Extended Strong's Numbers for the LXX

  • rdmax2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2011
      Hello Group,

      I am aware of the Apostolic Bible's extended Strong's numbers using decimal points. I was wondering if there were any other concepts, or if anyone had looked into the possibility to create a set of numbers, starting with maybe 6000, to include the Greek words found in the LXX that are not found in the NT?

      I have been toying with the idea of creating a version of the LXX with the Strong's numbers for all of the words, but it requires coming up with some sort of way to number those words that not presently included in the standard Strong's dictionary for a program such as e-Sword or The Word. Is anyone working on something like this? I am aware of those versions that have only the NT words, but they are very deficient, not even recognizing those words that do exist but have a morphological form not found in the NT. (This is probably an long-term project, but I am hoping that someone has already done the hard part already! smile.)

      Many thanx, Ron
    • Darrell Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2011
        For strongs Hebrew I just added '-' with an auxiliary number. I've thought about this for Greek and have decided that it would be better to just forget about strongs and use the diacritical spelling of the word as the index. It could then be linked to Perseus entries.

        Ζῆ Χριστός! יְבָרֶכְךָ יָהְוֶה

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 28, 2011
          Darrell,

          Thanx for your input. I had considered that option too, but could not see how it could be implemented with the free Bible programs I have been working with. It would require a "smart" dictionary that could morphologically analyze the word (or use the analysis already embedded into the text) and then jump to the root word. Maybe there is some way to do that, but I am unaware of it. On Amazon I just pre-ordered a lexicon supplement for the Septuagint. In the advertisement it mentions that it contains 5000 roots not found in the NT. It makes me wonder if there needs to be a whole new concept for a dictionary that allows for over 10,000 words.

          Greetings, Ron