question for the group

  • nicholas_38018
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2002
      I found the source for the assertion of the translator of an
      Orthodox New Testament that the MT is a translation of the LXX into
      Hebrew: it's from TRANSMISSION OF THE TEXT OF THE HOLY BIBLE by Dr
      Constantine Siamakis, Institute For Byzantine and Modern Greek
      Studies, Belmont, MA, 1997: "The Hebrew version in circulation today,
      the so-alled Massoretic Text, is chiefly a retranslation of the
      Septuagint into medieval Hebrew that was produced in stages between
      the 2nd and 9th century A.D. As a result, it contains many Greek
      words, such as Ur=Chor=Chora, i.e., Land (GENESIS 11:31);
      phoirion=phoreion-palanquin (SONG OF SONGS 3:9); and paradeisos (SONG
      OF SONGS 4:13)...and many others" (pg. 42).
      Is he wrong?
    • silouan2k
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2002
        "nicholas_38018" <nicholas_38018@y...> wrote:
        > I found the source for the assertion of the translator of
        > an Orthodox New Testament that the MT is a translation
        > of the LXX into Hebrew: it's from TRANSMISSION OF THE
        > TEXT OF THE HOLY BIBLE by Dr Constantine Siamakis...
        > it contains many Greek words, such as Ur=Chor=Chora,
        > i.e., Land (GENESIS 11:31); phoirion=phoreion-palanquin
        > (SONG OF SONGS 3:9); and paradeisos (SONG OF SONGS 4:13)
        > ...Is he wrong?

        I haven't read the book, but I do know that he's got at least one of
        those word-pairs backwards. "Paradeisos" is a hellenized version of
        the Persian "pairidaiza" i.e. "pleasure-garden." If the rest of
        Simakis' etymology assumes that every apparent cognate originates
        with a Greek word, I'd be a little dubious about his results...

        Silouan