Swete, Brooke McLean LXX's ebook downloads

  • James Miller
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011
      Just ran across this site http://www.bibles.org.uk/ where Swete and
      Brooke McLean LXX editions can be downloaded in ebook format (djvu). There
      are other interesting downloads there as well, e.g., the Ostrog Bible and
      the Russian 19th century Synodal edition.

      James
    • llsorenson@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011
        Sent from my LG phone

        James Miller <gajs-f0el@...> wrote:

        >Just ran across this site http://www.bibles.org.uk/ where Swete and
        >Brooke McLean LXX editions can be downloaded in ebook format (djvu). There
        >are other interesting downloads there as well, e.g., the Ostrog Bible and
        >the Russian 19th century Synodal edition.
        >
        >James
      • C.N. Bartch
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011
          Warning, the Brooke & McLean version on bibles.org.uk is only the octoteuch
          (Volume 1). Volume 1 and 2 can also be found on archive.org. But volume 3,
          part 1, which was the last volume to be published is NOT yet available
          online. I'm not sure, but maybe it's still in copyright (published in 1940)
          and that's why it's not available. I've been keeping an eye out for it.

          ~Chris Bartch

          On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM, James Miller <gajs-f0el@...>wrote:

          > Just ran across this site http://www.bibles.org.uk/ where Swete and
          > Brooke McLean LXX editions can be downloaded in ebook format (djvu). There
          > are other interesting downloads there as well, e.g., the Ostrog Bible and
          > the Russian 19th century Synodal edition.
          >
          > James

        • James Miller
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011
            On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, C.N. Bartch wrote:

            > Warning, the Brooke & McLean version on bibles.org.uk is only the octoteuch
            > (Volume 1). Volume 1 and 2 can also be found on archive.org. But volume 3,
            > part 1, which was the last volume to be published is NOT yet available
            > online. I'm not sure, but maybe it's still in copyright (published in 1940)
            > and that's why it's not available. I've been keeping an eye out for it.

            The whole thing, if memory serves, used to be available on realtech in the
            form of individual scans (jpg's, I believe). I downloaded the whole of
            whatever was there at the time, so if vol. 3 pt. 1 was there, those jpg's
            may well be among my files. I could easily make that into a pdf, by the
            way. Shall I check and see if I've got it stowed away somewhere? If so, do
            you know of a site that might host such a file?

            Also, I recently photographed the whole OT section of Baber's
            pseudofacsimile of Alexandrinus in a library that was agreeable to the
            project. That's another thing I'd like to make available on the 'net. So,
            does anyone know of a host for those files as well?

            Thanks,
            James
          • C.N. Bartch
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011
              If you do have that volume I would LOVE to have a copy of it in either JPG
              or PDF or DjVU or however!
              That would be amazing, thank you!

              If you need help finding hosts I'm sure I can help you there too. I have a
              couple ideas.

              ~Chris Bartch

              On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el@...>wrote:

              > On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, C.N. Bartch wrote:
              >
              > > Warning, the Brooke & McLean version on bibles.org.uk is only the
              > octoteuch
              > > (Volume 1). Volume 1 and 2 can also be found on archive.org. But volume
              > 3,
              > > part 1, which was the last volume to be published is NOT yet available
              > > online. I'm not sure, but maybe it's still in copyright (published in
              > 1940)
              > > and that's why it's not available. I've been keeping an eye out for it.
              >
              > The whole thing, if memory serves, used to be available on realtech in the
              > form of individual scans (jpg's, I believe). I downloaded the whole of
              > whatever was there at the time, so if vol. 3 pt. 1 was there, those jpg's
              > may well be among my files. I could easily make that into a pdf, by the
              > way. Shall I check and see if I've got it stowed away somewhere? If so, do
              > you know of a site that might host such a file?
              >
              > Also, I recently photographed the whole OT section of Baber's
              > pseudofacsimile of Alexandrinus in a library that was agreeable to the
              > project. That's another thing I'd like to make available on the 'net. So,
              > does anyone know of a host for those files as well?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > James

            • James Miller
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011
                On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, C.N. Bartch wrote:

                > If you do have that volume I would LOVE to have a copy of it in either JPG or PDF or DjVU or however!
                > That would be amazing, thank you!

                Looks like I was mistaken: it appears I did not download any of those
                images (though I do need to look through my old CD collection to be 100%
                sure about that). But it does look, in any case, as though they had only
                images of the octateuch volumes there anyway. The address, in the day
                (2002), was http://rosetta.reltech.org/cgi-bin/Ebind2html/TC/CambLXX (see
                http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20020623063351/http://rosetta.reltech.org/cgi-bin/Ebind2html/TC/CambLXX
                at the wayback machine for what remains of those old pages).

                > If you need help finding hosts I'm sure I can help you there too. I have a couple ideas.

                I may be getting back to you later about this.

                James
              • C.N. Bartch
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011
                  Well then, apparently the 3.1 volume wasn't on the reltech site - because
                  that volume contained Esther, Judith, and Tobit. Actually, the directories
                  from the old reltech site are just for the octateuch which as was previously
                  mentioned is available in PDF and DjVU from archive.org or bibles.org.uk.

                  Hopefully that last remaining volume will show up online soon. I can't
                  imagine why Cambridge would have any desire to keep a copyright hold on just
                  that one volume, especially when it is seen as being so vastly out dated
                  compared to the Gottingen LXX.

                  ~Chris

                  On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:58 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el@...>wrote:

                  > On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, C.N. Bartch wrote:
                  >
                  > > If you do have that volume I would LOVE to have a copy of it in either
                  > JPG or PDF or DjVU or however!
                  > > That would be amazing, thank you!
                  >
                  > Looks like I was mistaken: it appears I did not download any of those
                  > images (though I do need to look through my old CD collection to be 100%
                  > sure about that). But it does look, in any case, as though they had only
                  > images of the octateuch volumes there anyway. The address, in the day
                  > (2002), was http://rosetta.reltech.org/cgi-bin/Ebind2html/TC/CambLXX (see
                  >
                  > http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20020623063351/http://rosetta.reltech.org/cgi-bin/Ebind2html/TC/CambLXX
                  > at the wayback machine for what remains of those old pages).
                  >

                  > > If you need help finding hosts I'm sure I can help you there too. I have
                  > a couple ideas.
                  >
                  > I may be getting back to you later about this.
                  >
                  > James

                • C.N. Bartch
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 14, 2011
                    Wow, I am sorry - my tired eyes just realized that I said almost the exact
                    same thing as you about having only the octateuch volumes. I apologize about
                    that!

                    ~Chris

                    On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:58 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el@...>wrote:

                    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, C.N. Bartch wrote:
                    >
                    > > If you do have that volume I would LOVE to have a copy of it in either
                    > JPG or PDF or DjVU or however!
                    > > That would be amazing, thank you!
                    >
                    > Looks like I was mistaken: it appears I did not download any of those
                    > images (though I do need to look through my old CD collection to be 100%
                    > sure about that). But it does look, in any case, as though they had only
                    > images of the octateuch volumes there anyway. The address, in the day
                    > (2002), was http://rosetta.reltech.org/cgi-bin/Ebind2html/TC/CambLXX (see
                    >
                    > http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20020623063351/http://rosetta.reltech.org/cgi-bin/Ebind2html/TC/CambLXX
                    > at the wayback machine for what remains of those old pages).
                    >

                    > > If you need help finding hosts I'm sure I can help you there too. I have
                    > a couple ideas.
                    >
                    > I may be getting back to you later about this.
                    >
                    > James

                  • Yahunathan and the CF's
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 19, 2011
                      Hey all,

                      I'm new to the lxx e-mail group and wondered if someone could enlighten me as to what the Brooke & Mclean is all about and also as to the drawbacks(other than the price) of purchasing the Goetingen LXX. Also, I'm interested in maybe going to the Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature in SF, California in November and wondered if anybody had any comments about the meeting, what I might get out of it, the sponsoring organization, and any doctrine/dogma/philosophies they may hold to before I decide to go.

                      Thanks, Jon

                      To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                      From: gajs-f0el@...
                      Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:39:11 -0500
                      Subject: Re: [lxx] Swete, Brooke McLean LXX's ebook downloads

                      On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, C.N. Bartch wrote:

                      > Warning, the Brooke & McLean version on bibles.org.uk is only the octoteuch
                      > (Volume 1). Volume 1 and 2 can also be found on archive.org. But volume 3,
                      > part 1, which was the last volume to be published is NOT yet available
                      > online. I'm not sure, but maybe it's still in copyright (published in 1940)
                      > and that's why it's not available. I've been keeping an eye out for it.

                      The whole thing, if memory serves, used to be available on realtech in the
                      form of individual scans (jpg's, I believe). I downloaded the whole of
                      whatever was there at the time, so if vol. 3 pt. 1 was there, those jpg's
                      may well be among my files. I could easily make that into a pdf, by the
                      way. Shall I check and see if I've got it stowed away somewhere? If so, do
                      you know of a site that might host such a file?

                      Also, I recently photographed the whole OT section of Baber's
                      pseudofacsimile of Alexandrinus in a library that was agreeable to the
                      project. That's another thing I'd like to make available on the 'net. So,
                      does anyone know of a host for those files as well?

                      Thanks,

                    • Steve Puluka
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 19, 2011
                        On Apr 19, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Yahunathan and the CF's wrote:

                        > I'm new to the lxx e-mail group and wondered if someone could
                        > enlighten me as to what the Brooke & Mclean is all about and also
                        > as to the drawbacks(other than the price) of purchasing the
                        > Goetingen LXX.

                        There are a couple concepts to understand in LXX texts.

                        Length

                        There are handbooks which are shorter compilations of variants and
                        the text.
                        Larger or full editions which are designed to be more comprehensive
                        on the textual variations.

                        Main Text Contents

                        Diplomatic texts contain a master manuscript as a base and note
                        differences in the apparatus.

                        Critical texts show a reconstructed "original" text in the base and
                        not differences among manuscripts in the apparatus.

                        Schools

                        The Göttingen school produces Critical text versions.
                        Ralhfs is the handbook
                        Göttingen Septuagint is the large edition in progress

                        The Cambridge school produces a Diplomatic text
                        Swete is the handbook
                        Brooke & Mclean is the large edition

                        Slightly longer explanation with some bibliography and links.

                        http://puluka.com/home/scripture/IntroLXX.html

                        Steve Puluka
                        MA, Theology Duquesne University
                        Cantor Holy Ghost Church
                        Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
                        Mckees Rocks, PA
                        http://puluka.com
                      • Philip
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 27, 2011
                          Dear Listees,
                          the last phrase of LXX Deuteronomy 32:43 is translated something
                          like this, "thus shall Lord cleanse the land OF his people"

                          With respect to the word, OF, I am not too clear whether this makes too much
                          sense?

                          Many thanks,
                          Philip Engmann

                        • James Spinti
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 27, 2011
                            The Greek reads:
                            καὶ ἐκκαθαριεῖ κύριος τὴν γῆν τοῦ λαοῦ αὐτοῦ
                            Kai ekkaxariei kurios thn ghn tou laou autou

                            Isn't this just a possessive genitive? Or am I missing something? Granted, the Hebrew here doesn't quite line up with the Greek, which might cause a bit of confusion...

                            James

                            ________________________________
                            James Spinti
                            Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                            jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                            Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
                            Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 28, 2011
                              Of course, you are right. It is clearly meant to be a possessive genitive.

                              But now which early Septuagint scholar was it who was so anti-Semitic? Was it Lagarde? I suppose that he might have found it amusing to read it as a genitive with ekkaqariei, even though genitive with a preposition (e.g. απο) would be more normal Greek.

                              LSJ, after all, does give an example of the semantically identical verb, εκκαθαιρω, taking accusative of thing cleansed and genitive of the contamination removed: χθονα εκκαθαιρει κνωδαλων (xqona ekkaqairei knwdalwn).

                              But even Lagarde was too much of a scholar to have found such an interpretation as anything other than an amusing footnote. It it too obvious that the translator meant it as an objective genitive.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 28, 2011
                                Perhaps, Philip,
                                It would be advisable to view the sentence in its context. For fear of finding my Hebrew transmitted in Chinese characters I give in English:
                                1) the Masoretic text:
                                32:41d I will repay those who hate Me.
                                32:42a I will intoxicate my arrows with blood,
                                32:42b and my sword will eat meat
                                32:42c from the blood of the casualty and her captives
                                32:42d from the head of disheveled hairs of enemy.
                                32:43a Rejoice, goyim, with Him!
                                32:43b
                                32:43c
                                32:43d
                                32:43e Because He avenges the blood of His servants,
                                32:43f and vengeance He returns to His adversaries,
                                32:43g
                                32:43h And He atones His ground with Him.

                                2) the Greek
                                32:41d (as Hebrew)
                                32:42a (as Hebrew)
                                32:42b (as Hebrew)
                                32:42c from the blood of casualties and captivity
                                32:42d from the head of rulers of enemies.
                                32:43a Rejoice, Heavens, with Him!
                                32:43b And let the Sons of God do obeisance to Him!
                                32:43c Rejoice, nations, with His people!
                                32:43d And let all the angels of God strengthen Him!
                                32:43e (as Hebrew)
                                32:43f And He will avenge and repay justice to the enemies.
                                32:43g And He will repay to those who hate Him.
                                32:43h And the Lord will cleanse the land of His people.

                                3) 4QDeut-q published by Tov in DJD 14, 138-142
                                32:41d (as Hebrew)
                                32:42a (as Hebrew)
                                32:42b (as Hebrew)
                                32:42c (as Hebrew)
                                32:42d (as Hebrew)
                                32:43a (as Greek)
                                32:43b And let all the Gods do obeisance to Him!
                                32:43c
                                32:43d
                                32:43e Because He avenges the blood of His sons
                                32:43f (as Hebrew)
                                32:43g (as Greek)
                                32:43h And he will atone the ground of His people.
                                Much of the confusion is generated by the same spelled עם "people" ('am) and עם "with" ('im). The confusion is carried over into the Greek, which has ἅμα at 32:43a for "with." What I've long wrestled with is ἐνισχυσάτωσαν "Let them strengthen!" at 32:43d, not so much from the theological side, but rather from the Hebrew. The difference between 32:43h M and 32:43h Qumran is one letter - a difference that apparently aligns Q with the Greek. But I'm not sure that's true. The sense seems to be: "cleanse the land of its people," i.e. of the weeds, those not observing the Law. I get that from Hos. 10:11, which has עדד "hoe the ground" for ἐνισχύω. There are other ways to say "to obliterate the people from the land." See also Ps. 96(97):7.
                                Andrew Fincke

                                To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                                From: mej1960@...
                                Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:57:36 +0000
                                Subject: [lxx] Re: LXX Dt 32:43 last phrase

                                Of course, you are right. It is clearly meant to be a possessive genitive.

                                But now which early Septuagint scholar was it who was so anti-Semitic? Was it Lagarde? I suppose that he might have found it amusing to read it as a genitive with ekkaqariei, even though genitive with a preposition (e.g. 伪蟺慰) would be more normal Greek.

                                LSJ, after all, does give an example of the semantically identical verb, 蔚魏魏伪胃伪喂蟻蠅, taking accusative of thing cleansed and genitive of the contamination removed: 蠂胃慰谓伪 蔚魏魏伪胃伪喂蟻蔚喂 魏谓蠅未伪位蠅谓 (xqona ekkaqairei knwdalwn).

                                But even Lagarde was too much of a scholar to have found such an interpretation as anything other than an amusing footnote. It it too obvious that the translator meant it as an objective genitive.

                                --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, "James Spinti" <jspinti@...> wrote:

                                > The Greek reads:
                                > 挟袣挟衊褋袧袞 褋袦锟叫毿毿`挟袠挟衊携锟叫櫺曆佇燂拷 挟袣褋袧袥携锟叫櫺熜拷 携锟窖佇澬"挟袧 挟?quot;褋袩锟叫?携锟叫熝佇熜?挟袥挟衊挟袩褋袩袉 挟衊褋袧锟叫拷挟袩褋袩袉
                                > Kai ekkaxariei kurios thn ghn tou laou autou
                                >
                                > Isn't this just a possessive genitive? Or am I missing something? Granted, the Hebrew here doesn't quite line up with the Greek, which might cause a bit of confusion...
                                >
                                > James
                                >
                                > ________________________________
                                > James Spinti
                                > Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                                > Eisenbrauns, Good books for more than 35 years
                                > Specializing in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical Studies
                                > jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                                > Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
                                > Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226

                              • LXX List moderator
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 29, 2011
                                  --- On Thu, 4/28/11, andrew fincke <finckea@...> wrote:
                                  <snip>
                                  > For fear of finding my Hebrew transmitted in Chinese characters
                                  <snip>

                                  > To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                                  > From: mej1960@...
                                  > Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:57:36 +0000
                                  > Subject: [lxx] Re: LXX Dt 32:43 last phrase
                                  >
                                  > Of course, you are right. It is clearly meant to be a possessive genitive.
                                  >
                                  > But now which early Septuagint scholar was it who was so anti-Semitic? Was it Lagarde? I suppose that he might have found it
                                  > amusing to read it as a genitive with ekkaqariei, even though genitive with a preposition (e.g. 伪蟺慰) would be more normal

                                  Please, everyone take note that this list has, from the very beginning,
                                  had transliteration tables for Greek and Hebrew. Any Greek or Hebrew words
                                  you wish to transmit to the list can be converted to Latin characters
                                  using these transliteration tables--no need to worry about characters getting turned into Chinese if they are transliterated. Both Greek and Hebrew transliteration tables can be found on this list's home page at
                                  http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/LXXLIST.HTM . The Greek transliteration
                                  table, for redunancy, has also recently been uploaded to the "files"
                                  section of this list. Please use these tables in any instance where there
                                  may be concern about proper transmission to the list of non-Latin
                                  characters.

                                  Thanks you for your cooperation,
                                  Mods