New LXX Psalms

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2011
      Hi Guys.

      I was wondering if any on this list know of or purchased the new LXX Psalms
      w/commentary from Holy Apostels Monastery? These are the same people
      who produced The Orthodox New Testament. Let me know what you think. I would
      provide a link, but I don't want to violate any policy in regards to pushing a
      product (which I am not) on our list without first clearing it with the
      moderator.

      Take care.

    • Reader Arsenios George Blaisdell
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2011
        I got a copy from Mother Mariam -

        I like the commentary and the accuracy, but the style is somewhat strained and pedantic...

        She will on occasion translate a pingresent tense verb with the words: "keep on _____-ing" which, while a legitimate effort to capture the Greek present, makes often for awkward liturgical chanting... So I stay with the [now partially memorized] HTM blue book, which is sort of the standard in my parish [except when it is not!]...

        Arsenios
        Arsenios

        George Blaisdell
        Roslyn, WA

        "Be not troubling of you the heart..."
        [From the Gospel of John, Chapter 14, verse 1.]

        To: lxx@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2011
          What do you think about Asser's LXX psalms from C.T.O.S.?

          Peter A. Papoutsis
          The Law Offices of Nicholas C. Syregelas
          19 North Green Street
          Chicago, IL 60607
          1(312) 243-0900
          1(312) 243-0901 - fax

          This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for
          the addressee named above. If you are not the addressee or the intended
          recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
          the message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or
          duplication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail
          in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and
          delete the original message from your system.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2011
            Pete -

            I hadn't read them, so I went online, and Psalm 1 is the best I have ever read, so I eagerly went further, and found him to have a tendency, like me, to make English work like Greek, so that word order gets a little strained... He will put a modifying phrase between two terms like the Greek does, but it catches the flow to an English speaking ear like mine... So I like it a lot, but am becoming more and more appreciative of HTM's work, for they not only translate but they also chant and pray the Psalms, and so have an English sense of the liturgical flow of the words...

            I used to think I knew something about translations, but I am learning otherwise at an alarmingly fast pace!

            To: lxx@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 11, 2011
              Thanks George:

              I agree with your assessment of the HTM Translation of the LXX Psalms. This is
              why I obtained their permission to use it as the English translation of the
              Psalms in my Holy Orthodox Bible translation of the LXX, with
              modifications approved by HTM.

              If you notice HTM also states that the Received Text of the LXX for the Orthodox
              Church is the Moscow Edition of 1821. This is nothing more than Grabes'
              collation of Codex Alexandrinus. However, I have attempted, in vain, to confirm
              what HTM stated about the Moscow Edition of the LXX.

              Is HTM stating this JUST for the Biblical text? The reason I ask is because the
              Official LXX text for the Orthodox Church is that which is found in the Orthodox
              Church's Prophetologion, as Archmandrite Ephrem states on his website. These
              seems to be a difference between what the Orthodox Church accepts as its
              official LXX text between Bibilical texts and Liturgical texts.

              Add to this mix the Orthodox Church of Greece adopting Alfred Ralf's Septuaginta
              and modifying it to conform with the Church's liturgical LXX readings and you
              have a "Third" hybrid LXX text that has been officialy accepted by the Church of
              Greece to this day and still published by the Apostoliki Diakonia.

              Now the question becomes that when, or if, we have a Pan-Orthodox Council in the
              next 2 years will the council decide to finally standardize the text of the LXX
              between biblical and liturgical LXX text? Will the Church create ad "Hybrid"
              text between the LXX and the Hebrew OT texts like the Russian Church did with
              the Synod Version? Will the Council even touch this issue?

              Nutballs like me are only interested in stuff like this. Anyway, have a great
              Lent and Palm Sunday this Sunday and great Holy Week. I am definitely ready to
              eat some meat after Pascha. Take care.

              Peter A. Papoutsis

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 11, 2011
                I would like to see your "approved modifications" of HTM's translation of the Psalter...

                Come to think of it, I do not have your Psalter...

                Hmmmmm....

                I had better get off my duff and over to your site!

                Fish coming in 6 days!

                Arsenios

                To: lxx@yahoogroups.com

                From: Reader Arsenios George Blaisdell <maqhth@...>