Re: [lxx] Homles & Parsons Vetus Testamentum Graecum cum variis lectionibus - Vol. 3

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2011
      Stupid question but is the Holmes & Parsons LXX of the full LXX or just a
      portion? Further, where can one purchase a copy. I am currently in the process
      of buying and downloading all of the know LXX texts that are out there. I would
      love to get a hardcopy of this one.

      Thanks.

    • C.N. Bartch
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2011
        Holmes & Parsons is a complete text in five volumes. Some great information
        on it can be found in Swete's Introduction
        http://www.archive.org/stream/introductiontool00swetuoft#page/184/mode/2up

        I am not aware of a print version of it currently, though it it possible
        there is one on Lulu somewhere or something like that.

        I too have been trying to collect all of the important old editions of the
        Septuagint that I can find. The Holmes & Parsons is one of the most
        important editions I have been missing. Also volume 3, part 1 of the Brooke,
        McLean, Thackeray Larger Cambridge Septuagint I haven't been able to find
        yet (the other 8 volumes are at
        http://www.archive.org/details/OldTestamentGreeklxxTextCodexVaticanus).
        Other than those, I have in PDF form most of the important editions that I
        am aware of such as the ones of Tischendorf, Lagarde, Swete, Grabe, Nestle,
        etc.

        ~Chris Bartch

        On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@...>wrote:

        > Stupid question but is the Holmes & Parsons LXX of the full LXX or just a
        > portion? Further, where can one purchase a copy. I am currently in the
        > process
        > of buying and downloading all of the know LXX texts that are out there. I
        > would
        > love to get a hardcopy of this one.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Peter A. Papoutsis

      • Peter Papoutsis
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2011
          Thanks Chris. I appriciate the help.

          Peter A. Papoutsis

          ________________________________
          Holmes & Parsons is a complete text in five volumes. Some great information
          on it can be found in Swete's Introduction
          http://www.archive.org/stream/introductiontool00swetuoft#page/184/mode/2up

          I am not aware of a print version of it currently, though it it possible
          there is one on Lulu somewhere or something like that.

          I too have been trying to collect all of the important old editions of the
          Septuagint that I can find. The Holmes & Parsons is one of the most
          important editions I have been missing. Also volume 3, part 1 of the Brooke,
          McLean, Thackeray Larger Cambridge Septuagint I haven't been able to find
          yet (the other 8 volumes are at
          http://www.archive.org/details/OldTestamentGreeklxxTextCodexVaticanus).
          Other than those, I have in PDF form most of the important editions that I
          am aware of such as the ones of Tischendorf, Lagarde, Swete, Grabe, Nestle,
          etc.

          ~Chris Bartch

          On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@...>wrote:

          > Stupid question but is the Holmes & Parsons LXX of the full LXX or just a
          > portion? Further, where can one purchase a copy. I am currently in the
          > process
          > of buying and downloading all of the know LXX texts that are out there. I
          > would
          > love to get a hardcopy of this one.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Peter A. Papoutsis

        • James Miller
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2011
            On Sat, 9 Apr 2011, C.N. Bartch wrote:

            > So, found the third volume of the Holmes & Parsons now at Google books,
            > still keeping an eye out for volumes 2, 4, and 5. If anyone finds these
            > before me, please post!
            >
            > Volume 3 - http://books.google.com/books?id=sRDdAQznKtcC
            >
            > (and in case you missed it, Volume 1 from my previous post is at
            > http://books.google.com/books?id=ytFciPVntCoC)
            >
            > Thank you!
            >
            > ~Chris Bartch

            Oops. Apologies for my post that essentially duplicates this one. I'm not
            getting list mail in a timely manner for some reason, and sent off my
            message a while after this one hit the list but before it got to my inbox.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2011
              To get the First and Second Samuel parts of Holmes-Parsons, I got the microfilm from the State of New York Library in Albany by interlibrary loan. I put the microfilm in the reader at the local library and page by page printed out what I needed, reducing to the maximum reduction. I had the resulting pages bound in two blocks with comb bindings. Each booklet is 31.7 cm by 21.5 cm by 1-2 cm thick. The comb bindings cover all but 3 cm at the top and 3 cm at the bottom. Holmes and Parsons issued periodic updates during the course of their project. These are available from Good Books in Springfield, Ill. in photocopy, which they bind two pages to a photocopied page to make a monstrosity that measures 26 cm page width and 21 cm page height. If you order from them, you might want to have it differently bound so it can fit in your bookshelf. I must warn the list - Brooke-McLean mark Holmes-Parsons readings - i.e. readings taken at face value from Holmes-Parson without the support of independent collation - with brackets. Not only are there a lot of mistaken readings but also the Greek script is awful, the sigla are different from both Brooke-McLean and Rahlfs, who provides tables at pp. 335-338 of his Verzeichnis explaining the differences, and there are other idiosyncracies that make the work unappealing (the voluminous introductory material in Volume 1 explaining the sources is in Latin e.g.).
              Andrew Fincke
              At page 26 of "The Fourth Annual Account of the Collation of the Mss. of the Septuagint-Version" by Robert Holmes, Oxford, 1792 we find:
              It has been stated under a preceding article of this Account, that the collation of the Armenian and and Sclavonian Versions was in the hands of Mr. Alter of Vienna. And as the readings of these Versions, if not correspondent with the Vatican-Text, are noted in his Greek Collations, the work with respect to Them is advancing from time to time.
              That's all I've read so far.

              To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
              From: gajs-f0el@...
              Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 15:35:29 -0500
              Subject: Re: [lxx] Homles & Parsons Vetus Testamentum Graecum cum variis lectionibus - Vol. 3

              On Sat, 9 Apr 2011, C.N. Bartch wrote:

              > So, found the third volume of the Holmes & Parsons now at Google books,
              > still keeping an eye out for volumes 2, 4, and 5. If anyone finds these
              > before me, please post!
              >
              > Volume 3 - http://books.google.com/books?id=sRDdAQznKtcC
              >
              > (and in case you missed it, Volume 1 from my previous post is at
              > http://books.google.com/books?id=ytFciPVntCoC)
              >
              > Thank you!
              >
              > ~Chris Bartch

              Oops. Apologies for my post that essentially duplicates this one. I'm not
              getting list mail in a timely manner for some reason, and sent off my
              message a while after this one hit the list but before it got to my inbox.

            • finckean
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 12, 2011
                You don't just print out from the microfilm page by page. The material is too big for that. You print out 1/2 pages, which are then - two by two - overlapped and pasted/taped together into an unwieldy glob that is then photocopied onto legal-size paper (with an inch to spare at top and bottom) and bound with its partners to make what I described.
                Andrew Fincke