Re: [lxx] Amen

  • Darrell Smith
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2010
      Amen.

      Hebrew radical meanings: join parts continue, i.e. keep parts attached. Related words: mother (as the bond of the family), the forearm (as a grasping link), servant girl (as bonded to the family as if by adoption), etc. It means to bond, keep attached, be cohesive with, agree with. Hence, also for the attachment of a curse .

      The Greek meaning is derived from the Hebrew "agree with". Hence "it is so!".

      I hope this helps.
      Ζῆ Χριστός! יְבָרֶכְךָ יָהְוֶה

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2010
        Amen

        Hebrew radical mea
        Ζῆ Χριστός! יְבָרֶכְךָ יָהְוֶה
      • TOUJOURSPREST
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 8, 2010
          Many thanks! This makes sense from my reading in the OT. This would conform with Jesus' frequent use of amen in the NT at the beginning of his statements. John in Revelation was apparently using "the amen" as an epithet for Jesus.

          Price Meade

          --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Darrell Smith <sceptreofjudah@...> wrote:

          > Amen.
          >
          > Hebrew radical meanings: join parts continue, i.e. keep parts attached. Related words: mother (as the bond of the family), the forearm (as a grasping link), servant girl (as bonded to the family as if by adoption), etc. It means to bond, keep attached, be cohesive with, agree with. Hence, also for the attachment of a curse .
          >
          > The Greek meaning is derived from the Hebrew "agree with". Hence "it is so!".
          >
          > I hope this helps.
          > Ζῆ Χριστός! יְ×`ָרֶכְךָ יָ×"ְוֶ×"

        • Kevin P. Edgecomb
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 8, 2010
            In Hebrew "amen" is an imperative of the Piel binyan, with the root )MN meaning "make it so!" or "be it assured/certain!" In the NT use of it as a title for Christ, the meaning may be assumed "the one who makes it so" though there is likely much discussion in the literature which will provide more detail.

            Regards,
            Kevin Edgecomb
            Berkeley, California

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Dec 8, 2010, at 2:43 AM, "TOUJOURSPREST" <toujoursprest@...> wrote:

            > Many thanks! This makes sense from my reading in the OT. This would conform with Jesus' frequent use of amen in the NT at the beginning of his statements. John in Revelation was apparently using "the amen" as an epithet for Jesus.
            >
            > Price Meade
            >
            > --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Darrell Smith <sceptreofjudah@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Amen.
            >>
            >> Hebrew radical meanings: join parts continue, i.e. keep parts attached. Related words: mother (as the bond of the family), the forearm (as a grasping link), servant girl (as bonded to the family as if by adoption), etc. It means to bond, keep attached, be cohesive with, agree with. Hence, also for the attachment of a curse .
            >>
            >> The Greek meaning is derived from the Hebrew "agree with". Hence "it is so!".
            >>
            >> I hope this helps.
            >> Œñ·øÜ ŒßœÅŒπœÉœÑœåœÇ! ◊ô÷∞◊`÷∏◊®÷∂◊õ÷∞◊ö÷∏ ◊ô÷∏◊"÷∞◊ï÷∂◊"

          • Darrell Smith
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 8, 2010
              Certainly, i.e. constituted, constitute!, make it so (in the intensive imperative).

              Ζῆ Χριστός! יְבָרֶכְךָ יָהְוֶה

> [...]

              >> Jesus is referred to as "the Amen" in John's Revelation, seemingly as an epithet. The epithet "Amin" in Arabic, which is used similarly in Islam generally as in Judaism and Christianity, is sometimes used to refer to Muhammad. Muhammad's human nature is stressed in Islam. He may have acquired the epithet "Amin" before he began to receive the Quran from the Angel Gabriel, for he was a caravan trader (technically a robber, for mutual exchange of goods was part of the trading business) who was known as honest and trustworthy.

            • David James
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 8, 2010
                Price:

                You don't make any reference to the Psalms, and I don't know Hebrew.
                However, if, as you assert, "Amen" is never used in the OT to conclude a
                prayer, what is the Hebrew word used in the concluding verses of Psalms 40,
                71, 88 and 105 (LXX numbering)?

                David James

                On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:59 PM, TOUJOURSPREST <toujoursprest@...>wrote:

                > I would appreciate help on the source of the word amen.
                > The Hebrew word amen derives from the Hebrew 'a-m�n, the primitive
                > triliteral root is '-m-n . This triliteral root means to be firm, confirmed,
                > reliable, faithful, have faith, believe. Grammarians list "amen" in Hebrew
                > under its three consonants ('-m-n = aleph-mem-nun) The Hebrew letter ' aleph
                > originally represented a glottal stop sound, which functioned as a
                > consonant.
                >
                > I find two ways it is apparently not used in the Old Testament. First,
                > "amen" is never used to conclude a prayer ...

              • Ken Penner
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 9, 2010
                  In all the cases mentioned below, the Hebrew word is AMEN.

                  Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
                  Assistant Professor, Religious Studies
                  St. Francis Xavier University
                  Antigonish, NS
                  Canada

                  (902)867-2265
                  kpenner@...

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 9, 2010
                    Good point, David!
                    And what does the Septuagint (this is a Septuagint list) say at those 4 places?
                    γένοιτο γένοιτο "So be it! So be it!" I.e. יִהְיֶה יִהְיֶה. Now that's just a polite way of saying "Jehovah, Jehovah" (יהוה יהוה) without descecrating the Lord's name. What's happened is that the Septuagint translator mistook "Amen" (אמן) for "So be it!/ therefore" (אכן) by merging the vertical that forms final nun with the open space on the left side of the kaf. Cf. the kaf and mem in אכן משפטי in the facsimile of 1QIsa-a at Isa. 30:4. אכן is a rare word that occurs only in Isaiah, and there only four times, one of which is 53:4, where it serves as epithet for Our Savior at Isa 53:4: "He lifted up our sins". There the Septuagint has "He" (οὗτος) for אכן הוא "Therefore He". So at Psalms 106(105):48, when "All the people said, 'Amen! Amen!" (Hebrew: "Amen! Praise the Lord!") they were just reciting the divine epithet. For the matter of the repetive אמן אמן in the Psalms verses cf. Isa 40:7-8, where אכן caused a whole verse to be duplicated. In IQIsa-a all the extra material is between the lines and into the margin with אכן חציר העם "Therefore the people is grass" spelled הכן חציר העם, confusing אכן with הכן and thus הקן "the nest", which is composed of intertwined grass. I know this is alot of Hebrew for someone unversed in the language, so if you've got some questions feel free to ask.
                    Andrew Fincke

                    To: lxx@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 12, 2010
                      David,
                      The use of amen in the Psalms seemed to be in a different way than concluding a prayer, as when it occurs with an expression of praise to the Lord (10 times). "Amen" is used after a baruch (praise) formula by the person speaking the formula (Ps 41:14; 72:19; 89:53) as well as all those who hear it (Ps 106:48; 1 Chron. 16:36; Neh 8:6). This type of praise-formula has a standard structure and always begins with the word Baruch: translated as "Blessed/Praised be....."

                      Price

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 12, 2010
                        Andrew,
                        Could there be a different Semitic root for "amen" (aleph-meem-nun) when it is used to mean "the Amen" , for Jehovah and Christ?
                        In Is. 65:16 the Hebrew text twice speaks of "the God of (the) Amen." Some thought this difficult to translate and chose to correct the text to "the God of truth." The proposed emendation only concerns the vowels which (in Hebrew) do not belong to the original text. Instead of "ameen"the reading "omen" is suggested. In Isa. 25:1 the word omen ("truth") is used, but it is a hapax (i.e., a word that only occurs once). In the Septuagint and Aquila both read ameen instead of omen at Isa. 25:1. The texts from Isaiah seem to be echoed in Rev.3:14 where "the Amen" is used as a title for Jesus. Perhaps you are pointing to something like this?

                        Price

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 13, 2010
                          Good point, Price!
                          From the way the Chronicler put together the Psalms, having Psalms 96(95): 12: "The field rejoices and everything in it; all the trees of the forest sing out" precede 106(105):48: "'Bless the Lord forever and ever!' And all the people said, 'Amen! Praise the Lord!'" it would seem that "Amen" concludes a song - namely that of the trees of the forest - and not a prayer. The people responded to the final sentence of the sylvan song: "Bless the Lord!" with "Amen!" Deut 27:15 suggests that the trees cried out - and not in the way of blessing - as they were being cut down: "'Cursed is the man who will make an idol!' ... And all the people said, 'Amen!'" To understand how trees were cultivated for the manufacture of idols, see Isaiah 44:13-15. You've got to know Hebrew to understand the dual meaning of אמונתו "His faithfulness/his handiwork" in 96(95):13. If you read the final two words - ועמים באמונתו "and peoples in His faithfulness" as ועצים באמונתו "and treees in his craftmanship" you can see how the judgment mentioned there is not a blessing but a curse. The trees were destined to be cursed for their role in the manufacture of idols. The fig tree of Mat 21:19-20 took the curse on himself.
                          Andrew Fincke

                          To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                          From: toujoursprest@...
                          Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 03:02:57 +0000
                          Subject: [lxx] Re: Amen

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 13, 2010
                            Dear Price,
                            You're really getting into this!
                            "In Isa. 25:1 the word omen ("truth") is used, but it is a hapax (i.e., a word that only occurs once)." is incorrect. We also have "work of the hands of an omen (craftsman)" at Song of Solomon 7:2, describing the calves of the writer's girlfriend. Since things work in 3's in the Bible, that makes the two omen's in Isa 65:16 mean "craftsman": "He blesses himself in (the name of) a God of a craftsman ... He oathes in (the name of ) a God of a craftsman." That fits with the beginning of the verse: "Whoever blesses himself in (the trees of the) land." The image is of a pagan farmer taking great pains to cultivate a grove of trees, which are then cut down and turned into idols. See Isa 44:13-15. The (tall) girlfriend in Song of Solomon 7:2 must have had legs that reminded the author of trees. At Isaiah 25:1 these legs/trees were feminized from עצים "trees" to עצות, which the Septuagint translates "advice" (βουλη). The Isaiah scroll (1QIsa-a) has אצית "I ignite", which verifies 44:15: "They (the trees) are for burning; he warms himself and stokes the fire; he bakes bread and makes an idol". The speaker at the end of 25:1: אצית מרחוק אמונה אמן "I ignite from a distance the handiwork of a craftsman" is apparently the Lord, destroying the products of abuse of His creation.
                            For a guy who doesn't know Hebrew, you're pretty smart!
                            Andrew Fincke

                            To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                            From: toujoursprest@...
                            Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 04:04:18 +0000

                            Andrew,
                            Could there be a different Semitic root for "amen" (aleph-meem-nun) when it is used to mean "the Amen" , for Jehovah and Christ?
                            In Is. 65:16 the Hebrew text twice speaks of "the God of (the) Amen." Some thought this difficult to translate and chose to correct the text to "the God of truth." The proposed emendation only concerns the vowels which (in Hebrew) do not belong to the original text. Instead of "ameen"the reading "omen" is suggested. In Isa. 25:1 the word omen ("truth") is used, but it is a hapax (i.e., a word that only occurs once). In the Septuagint and Aquila both read ameen instead of omen at Isa. 25:1. The texts from Isaiah seem to be echoed in Rev.3:14 where "the Amen" is used as a title for Jesus. Perhaps you are pointing to something like this?

                            Price

                            --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, andrew fincke <finckea@...> wrote:

                            > Good point, David!
                            > And what does the Septuagint (this is a Septuagint list) say at those 4 places?
                            > γένοιτο γένοιτο "So be it! So be it!" I.e. יִהְיֶה יִהְיֶה. Now that's just a polite way of saying "Jehovah, Jehovah" (יהוה יהוה) without descecrating the Lord's name. What's happened is that the Septuagint translator mistook "Amen" (אמן) for "So be it!/ therefore" (אכן) by merging the vertical that forms final nun with the open space on the left side of the kaf. Cf. the kaf and mem in אכן משפטי in the facsimile of 1QIsa-a at Isa. 30:4. אכן is a rare word that occurs only in Isaiah, and there only four times, one of which is 53:4, where it serves as epithet for Our Savior at Isa 53:4: "He lifted up our sins". There the Septuagint has "He" (οá½â€"τος) for אכן הוא "Therefore He". So at Psalms 106(105):48, when "All the people said, 'Amen! Amen!" (Hebrew: "Amen! Praise the Lord!") they were just reciting the divine epithet. For the matter of the repetive אמן אמן in the Psalms verses cf. Isa 40:7-8, where אכן caused a whole verse to be duplicated. In IQIsa-a all the extra material is between the lines and into the margin with אכן ×â€"ציר העם "Therefore the people is grass" spelled הכן ×â€"ציר העם, confusing אכן with הכן and thus הקן "the nest", which is composed of intertwined grass. I know this is alot of Hebrew for someone unversed in the language, so if you've got some questions feel free to ask.
                            > Andrew Fincke
                            >

                            > To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: kpenner@...
                            > Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 09:10:09 -0400
                            > Subject: RE: [lxx] Amen
                            >

                            > In all the cases mentioned below, the Hebrew word is AMEN.
                            >
                            > Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
                            > Assistant Professor, Religious Studies
                            > St. Francis Xavier University
                            > Antigonish, NS
                            > Canada
                            >
                            > (902)867-2265
                            > kpenner@...

                          • TOUJOURSPREST
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 25, 2010
                              Andrew,
                              Many thanks for your learned explication. My area of research is Iranian texts, although a main mentor was S D Goitein, a founder of the Hebrew University in 1925.

                              I think true monotheism appears in Judaism after Persian captivity.
                              Isaiah reveals the influence of Zoroastrianism on Judaism. The monotheism expressed in the New Testament is in turn imbued with the spirit of monotheism in Isaiah, including in Revelation. In Revelation 3 where "the Amen" is used as an epithet for Jesus this is so. Jesus Christ celebrates His faithfulness, in Revelation 3:12-14 (King James Version):

                              "12Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
                              13He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
                              14And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God"

                              John is contrasting the heavenly church to the earthly : when one enters the church, the spiritual temple below, three names are recorded in his baptismal formula. When he enters the kingdom above, three names are again written upon him; the name of God, of the heavenly city, and Christ's heavenly name. To be "a pillar of the church" on earth is to have one's name recorded on the wall.

                              The new name which Christ will acquire is expressed in other ways by John , as the name of "Jehovah," our righteousness; or the name of "King of kings, and Lord of lords," (Revelation 19:16)
                              The "new name" is expressed in a more symbolic way in Revelation 2:17: "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it" The new name is not a new name for the person, but the new name of the giver. The white stone which contains it indicates affirmation, perhaps "the amen" - a black pebble perhaps would be a "no" vote.

                              Stephen Van Eck is known for bashing the authenticity of orthodox Christian Bible texts. I agree with his view of the significant influence of Zoroastrian ideas.

                              Best holiday wishes,