Re: [lxx] Re: Large print or single-column version of English LXX translation?

  • Sigrid Peterson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 18, 2010
      In addition to Peter Papoutsis's translation, the New English Translation of
      the Septuagint (NETS) is available as pdf files of books, some with
      side-by-side comparisons of Old Greek and Theodotion, for example.

      The Electronic Edition of NETS starts here:
      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/

      These pdf files can be downloaded to your own computer. Oxford University
      Press has copy-protected them, so you cannot print out even a small section.
      You *can,* as I said, make your own use of them on your own computer. That
      includes enlarging the size. Since columns are used, you can go roughly as
      large as 400% of the print text.

      The font is nice, and the pages are laid out in a readable fashion.

      I'm not tooting my own horn, but touting the editors, translators, and
      people behind the scenes who brought this into existence and housed it on
      computers at UPenn.

      Best,
      Sigrid Peterson

      Sigrid Peterson, PhD
      Visiting Research Scholar
      Department of Religious Studies
      201 Claudia Cohen Hall
      University of Pennsylvania
      Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

      petersig {at} sas.upenn.edu
      001-215-275-2740 (Cell)

      On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 1:56 AM, psaulm119 <psaulm119@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for tooting your horn. For some reason at literralchristian site, I
      > thought you only had 40 psalms posted, and I want to start wit that book (so
      > I wanted all of them translated). I see now that you have all 150/1. I also
      > like the fact that you don't have the thees and thous and theretoforeseth...
      >

      > --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com <lxx%40yahoogroups.com>, Peter Papoutsis
      > <papoutsis1@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ok I know I am tooting my own horn, but, Check out The Holy Orthodox
      > Bible
      > > volumes that are an English translation of the Septuagint in paragraph
      > form,
      > > just like if you were reading a modern book. Ok everybody can stop
      > rolling their
      > > eyes now. Have a good night, and God bless.
      > >
      > > Peter A. Papoutsis

    • psaulm119
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 18, 2010
        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Sigrid Peterson <petersig@...> wrote:

        > In addition to Peter Papoutsis's translation, the New English Translation of
        > the Septuagint (NETS) is available as pdf files of books, some with
        > side-by-side comparisons of Old Greek and Theodotion, for example.

        I knew of NETS, but not the side-by-side comparisons with later Greek translations. That sounds pretty fascinating. I did look at a few Psalms (1-4) and didn't see that.

        > The Electronic Edition of NETS starts here:
        > http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/
        >
        > These pdf files can be downloaded to your own computer. Oxford University
        > Press has copy-protected them, so you cannot print out even a small section.

        Unless, hypothetically speaking, they are uploaded to a pdf-unlocking site. :)

        Don't worry, I won't do that. I will be using a hard copy (already printed and bound) for my OT reading (I'll make an exception for Peter's psalms, just to see how the LXX differs), but doing this for the entire OT will get a bit old. I had to do this with my NT reading (copying, pasting, formatting, and printing) to get the REB just right, and its a bit time-consuming, so barring an entire LXX that is single-column or large print in hard copy, I'll go with the old New English Bible OT.
      • Sigrid Peterson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2010
          The side-by-side comparisons are not in every book. There have to be
          existing early versions that differ in important ways, with enough text of
          each to make it worth doing the side-by-side comparison. As I understand it,
          that's not the case for Psalms. There are very few variants in Psalms in
          Greek that would encompass even a single psalm.