Qumran and LXX

  • Joel Kalvesmaki
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2010
      Greetings list members,

      A colleague and I were curious to know if there is an accurate,
      comprehensive list of the Qumran biblical MSS showing how closely they
      correspond to the LXX and the MT. An online resource would be nice, but a
      print form would do too.

      Thanks,

      jk
      --
      Joel Kalvesmaki
      http://www.kalvesmaki.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2010
        Joel,
        You're talking about the Samuel manuscripts, and I have a Word file that I intended for the appendix of a book that Brill refuses to publish, since it's basically corrections of the one they already published. I expanded the file and sent it free of charge to Anneli Aejmelaeus to help with her edition of 1 Samuel for the Goettingen Septuagint. She's dragging her tail on the book, and I'm willing to send the file (in .pdf format) to you if you give me an email address that allows attachments. It gives the Greek lemma in the left column and the Samuel fragments reading on the right. 4QSam-b is particularly rich in Lucianic readings and right in the most interesting part of the book - the aftermath of David's fight with Goliath: his love-affair with Jonathan, his break with Saul and Michel and his flight to the desert. I think there're some Septuagint readings in the Jeremiah fragments, but nothing like Samuel.
        Andrew Fincke

        To: lxx@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2010
          I'd be interested in any other resources that folks may know about.

          The main resource I've used for this kind of thing (at least while helping students here at Gordon-Conwell) is the Discoveries in the Judaean Desert (DJD) series published by Oxford. It ain't cheap by any means, and I have access only because I've got the privilege of working at a theological library. So if there are other resources that accomplish this, I'd love to see them.

          Another resource is David L. Washburn's A Catalog of Biblical Passages in the Dead Sea Scrolls (by Brill/SBL). I don't know about how 'comprehensive' it is, but it gives a good overview on a verse-by-verse level that at least clues the researcher to potential differences.

          The footnotes of the Dead Sea Scrolls Bible (eds. Martin Abegg, Peter Flint & Eugene Ulrich) can help clue folks into DSS/MT/LXX differences as well (though it's English-based and intended for a lay-audience).

          Jim Darlack, Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction
          _
          [cid:3346240738_35195457]THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
          130 ESSEX STREET, SOUTH HAMILTON, MA 01982
          P: 978.646.4004 | F: 978.646.4567

          THINK Theologically | ENGAGE Globally | LIVE Biblically

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2010
            Hi Jim,

            I think you might find the following very useful:

            Ulrich, Eugene. The Biblical Qumran Scrolls: Transcriptions and Textual
            Variants. VTSup134. Leiden, 2010.

            Ulrich has put together in one volume all of the biblical transcriptions and
            variants (minus comments and reconstructed variants) from all of the relevant
            DJD volumes.

            Cheers,
            Dick Saley

            Quoting Jim Darlack <jdarlack@...>:

            > I'd be interested in any other resources that folks may know about.
            >
            > The main resource I've used for this kind of thing (at least while helping
            > students here at Gordon-Conwell) is the Discoveries in the Judaean Desert
            > (DJD) series published by Oxford. It ain't cheap by any means, and I have
            > access only because I've got the privilege of working at a theological
            > library. So if there are other resources that accomplish this, I'd love to
            > see them.
            >
            > Another resource is David L. Washburn's A Catalog of Biblical Passages in the
            > Dead Sea Scrolls (by Brill/SBL). I don't know about how 'comprehensive' it
            > is, but it gives a good overview on a verse-by-verse level that at least
            > clues the researcher to potential differences.
            >
            > The footnotes of the Dead Sea Scrolls Bible (eds. Martin Abegg, Peter Flint &
            > Eugene Ulrich) can help clue folks into DSS/MT/LXX differences as well
            > (though it's English-based and intended for a lay-audience).
            >
            > Jim Darlack, Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction
            > _
            > [cid:3346240738_35195457]THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
            > 130 ESSEX STREET, SOUTH HAMILTON, MA 01982
            > P: 978.646.4004 | F: 978.646.4567
            >
            > THINK Theologically | ENGAGE Globally | LIVE Biblically

            Richard J. Saley, Ph.D.
            Lecturer on the Ancient Near East
            Dept. of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
            Harvard University
            Six Divinity Avenue
            Cambridge, MA 02138-2091 USA
            Tel: 617-495-4239