Re: [lxx] Re: Job 2:9

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 20, 2010
      Thank you very much. Most helpful;

      Jim

      Jannes Smith wrote:

      > Dear Jim,
      >
      > The NETS introduction to this book (by Claude Cox) has the following
      > comment
      > on Job 2:9: "While the text as a whole reveals conscious shortening, there
      > are various additions made along the way. The major ones are: the diatribe
      > of Iob's wife in 2.9a-d - though this may be a later addition ('probably,'
      > according to Fernandez Marcos, 261, citing Heater, 31-36) ..."
      >
      > In case you want to check Cox's sources, he is citing the following:
      >
      > 1. Natalio Fernandez Marcos, "The Septuagint Reading of the Book of
      > Job," in
      > The Book of Job (Ed. W.A.M. Beuken; BETL 114; Leuven: University Press /
      > Peeters, 1994) page 261, and
      >
      > 2. Homer Heater, Jr., A Septuagint Translation Technique in the Book
      > of Job
      > (CBQMS 11; Washington, DC: Catholic Biblical Association of America, 1982)
      > pages 31-36.
      >
      > Cox's point is that the LXX has an addition vis a vis the Hebrew, but
      > he is
      > not sure whether the addition was made by the translator (and would
      > thus be
      > original to the Greek book) or (more probably according to Fernandez
      > Marcos
      > and Heater) by later copyists.
      >
      > I hope this helps.
      >
      > Jannes
      >
      > on 4/19/10 4:53 AM, Jim at jamesjay@paonline. com
      > <mailto:jamesjay%40paonline.com> wrote:
      >
      > > Hello Mr Burns;
      > >
      > > Thanks for your reply to my post. So I guess some copies of the LXX have
      > > various readings on this verse. I'll have to do some research then to
      > > see if I can follow it out & learn something. I confess I am not much of
      > > an expert on the LXX so thank you again.
      > >
      > > Jim Kirby
      > >
      > > summascriptura wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Here is 2:9 from the Masoretic text of the Hebrew Bible: "Then his
      > >> wife said to him, 'Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God
      > >> and die.'"
      > >>
      > >> The Greek text for this passage is more elaborate. Below is the
      > >> passage from the NETS. In this example I have removed the NETS
      > >> numbering of the extra parts and inserted the traditional
      > >> versification as it appears in Orhtodox Bibles:
      > >>
      > >> 9 Then after a long time had passed, his wife said to him, "How long
      > >> will you persist and say, 10 `Look, I will hang on a little longer,
      > >> while I wait for the hope of my deliverance? ' 11 For look, your
      > >> legacy has vanished from the earth‹sons and daughters, my womb's birth
      > >> pangs and labors, for whom I wearied myself with hardships in vain. 12
      > >> And you? You sit in the refuse of worms as you spend the night in the
      > >> open air. 13 As for me, I am one that wanders about and a hired
      > >> servant‹from place to place and house to house, waiting for when the
      > >> sun will set, so I can rest from the distresses and griefs that now
      > >> beset me. 14 Now say some word to the Lord and die!"

> [...]
    • Sam
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
        John 19:28-30 in the KJV
        28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now ACCOMPLISHED (GREEK TETELESTAI), that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
        29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.
        30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, IT IS FINISHED (GREEK TETELESTAI): and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

        any comment or thoughts on why that word TETELESTAI was used there and what it means to us?
      • Darrell Smith
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
          The power of sin and death had been destroyed by the obedience of the Man Jesus unto death.

          Ζῆ Χριστός! יְבָרֶכְךָ יָהְוֶה

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
            Although, this isn't a translation exactly, Scott Hann (Theologian) in his
            presentation "*The Third Cup"* says that Jesus is also refering to the end
            of the Passover meal because he drinks 2 cups at the meal and then drinks
            the vinegar, which is the 3rd cup and signifies the end of the ritual.

            Dan McDevitt
            Student
            Cincinnati Christian University