Re: [lxx] Michael Asser's revision of the KJV according to the LXX

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2010
      I have and I personally love it. Michael is doing a great job and would highly recommend people going to the Orthodox England website and checking it out.

      Peter A. Papoutsis

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25, 2010
        Thanks Peter,

        I don't hear many ppl talking about his work and he's looking for feedback on what he has translated.

        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@...> wrote:

        > I have and I personally love it. Michael is doing a great job and would highly recommend people going to the Orthodox England website and checking it out.
        >
        > Peter A. Papoutsis
        >

        > ________________________________

      • mej1960
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25, 2010
          Well, it IS hard to make knowledgeable and useful comments on such an unusual undertaking. After all, doing what Michael is doing requires an unusual combination of skills: expertise in LXX/OG "translation Greek", AND expertise in Early Modern English.

          But this is not all: since he is clearly targeting the English Orthodox market, it also requires a thorough knowledge of how the Orthodox use/interpret the Bible AND how the Orthodox traditionally deal with the problem of variety in the textual traditions. Otherwise the translation can turn out technically correct, but useless for the target market. We have already seen several such translation efforts.

          Nor is this all: not only must the translator have all this, but so must the editor and most other people involved in reviewing the translator's work during the publishing process.

          Now I admit right up front that I do not know Early Modern English well enough to do this, so I must 'recuse' myself from commenting on his unusual undertaking, except to say this: I certainly hope the English Orthodox Church can expect a higher level of knowledge of Early Modern English than we can here in the States. It is notorious here how the partisans of the KJV translation usually do not even understand what they read, since they assume Modern English meanings for Early Modern Expressions ( I have personally met too many who do not even know that 'thou' is the familiar/singular form).

          But since the English have always had a greater knowledge and respect for The Bard, I think it is reasonable to expect that this will not be such a problem over there.

          --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, "natwoon" <natwoon@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Peter,
          >
          > I don't hear many ppl talking about his work and he's looking for feedback on what he has translated.
          >
          > --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have and I personally love it. Michael is doing a great job and would highly recommend people going to the Orthodox England website and checking it out.
          > >
          > > Peter A. Papoutsis
          > >

          > > ________________________________

        • natwoon
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2010
            The translation is now completely posted on the Orthodox England websire
          • Peter Papoutsis
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2010
              Michael still needs people to read his translation and to help out with any flaws.
              I just found one in Ezekiel 8:1.

              Michael found a few in Gensis and Exodus. So go and get it, download it and read it through for him. That's why its up guys. Have fun and enjoy Michael's wonderful translation of the LXX.

              Peter A. Papoutsis

              The translation is now completely posted on the Orthodox England websire