Re: [lxx] ¿Which other Bible Books?

  • Kevin P. Edgecomb
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
      Dear Rafael,

      You are very welcome. I will have to check a copy of the
      Ecclesiastical text for you, later this evening. As far as I am
      aware, all ten are included, with the possible exception of the
      epigraphs for the Letter of Jeremiah and Lamentations. I'll have to
      look at those. All of the rest are certainly included.

      You may also find it interesting to note that in the Eastern Orthodox
      communion, there is as yet no single official Biblical canon. The two
      broad traditions (Greek and Russian) differ by one book each (4
      Maccabees appears in Greek Bibles, while 3 Esdras [=the Ezra
      Apocalypse] appears in the Russian Bibles. Among other things, the
      ecclesiastical canons approved in the Quinisext Council in Trullo
      (taken as Ecumenical for Orthodoxy) approved sets of canons which
      themselves approved various divergent canons. The principle of wider
      inclusiveness, however, took hold, so that the Eastern Orthodox
      Biblical canons are very full, second only to the Ethiopian Orthdoox
      Biblical canon. If/when there is another Ecumenical Council for the
      Eastern Orthodox, this will be one of the issues that is taken up,
      along with a precise determination of the status of the
      anaginoskomenoi/deuterocanonical/apocryphal books in the Old
      Testament. The "official" canons now in place are the result of
      long-standing tradition, however, even though they are in no single
      place defined as an exclusive Biblical canon analogous to the
      Tridentine Council.

      Regards,
      Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Berkeley, California

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
        ¡Yeah...! I had knowledge about the [ Greek-IV-Maccabees / Russian-III-Ezra ] direct alternative difference... Nevertheless, I had a notion or idea that these both alternative Books are general and commonly considered just as Appendices in these respective Bible editions... ¿Is not this notion correct?

        ¡Mmh...!

        ________________________________
        You are very welcome. I will have to check a copy of the
        Ecclesiastical text for you, later this evening. As far as I am
        aware, all ten are included, with the possible exception of the
        epigraphs for the Letter of Jeremiah and Lamentations. I'll have to
        look at those. All of the rest are certainly included.

        You may also find it interesting to note that in the Eastern Orthodox
        communion, there is as yet no single official Biblical canon. The two
        broad traditions (Greek and Russian) differ by one book each (4
        Maccabees appears in Greek Bibles, while 3 Esdras [=the Ezra
        Apocalypse] appears in the Russian Bibles. Among other things, the
        ecclesiastical canons approved in the Quinisext Council in Trullo
        (taken as Ecumenical for Orthodoxy) approved sets of canons which
        themselves approved various divergent canons. The principle of wider
        inclusiveness, however, took hold, so that the Eastern Orthodox
        Biblical canons are very full, second only to the Ethiopian Orthdoox
        Biblical canon. If/when there is another Ecumenical Council for the
        Eastern Orthodox, this will be one of the issues that is taken up,
        along with a precise determination of the status of the
        anaginoskomenoi/ deuterocanonical /apocryphal books in the Old
        Testament. The "official" canons now in place are the result of
        long-standing tradition, however, even though they are in no single
        place defined as an exclusive Biblical canon analogous to the
        Tridentine Council.

        Regards,
        Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Berkeley, California

        Quoting Rafael Dominguez-Hernandez <radohe@rocketmail. com>:

        > ¡I thank you very much for these important data, Kevin!
        >
        > I am reconfiguring all my conceptual map about the Holy Bible with
        > so proverbial love followed by my dear Orthodox Christian brethren...
        >
        > ¿Could you tell me if at least one of the other ten numbered listed
        > items does not must being included in a detailed list of Bible
        > texts, or portions, or passages?
        > ¿Or if, by the other side, exists another text that I have no
        > mentioned, and it must being included?
        >
        > ¡Regards!
        > Rafael Dominguez
        >
        > ____________ _________ _________ __

      • Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
          Dear Rapael,
          Yes, that's correct. The original edition of the modern Apostoliki
          Diakonia Greek Ecclesiastical text for the Septuagint had 4 Maccabees
          printed in an appendix to the Old Testament, I've been told.
          Interestingly, it was later moved from there into the place following
          3 Maccabees. (As an aside, the "Comma Johanneum" was originally
          printed in smaller text, indicating its non-canonical character, but
          this formatting was later dropped so that it appears in current
          printings to be an accepted text of the Byzantine tradition, which it
          is certainly not.)

          The book of 3 Esdras is printed in the Russian Bibles after Nehemias
          (which in the Greek tradition is the second half of 2 Esdras). But
          the Russians are much more comfortable with calling it non-canonical,
          despite the fact that it is printed in the Bible.

          The situation with the terminology is quite complicated. You'll find
          Eastern Orthodox writers on the subject claiming that all are
          canonical, as they're traditionally printed in the Bibles, and yet
          other writers claiming a distinction (whether for their being
          deuterocanonical or apocryphal or "anaginoskomenoi", "books read",
          based upon St Athanasios the Great's description of the
          non-Hebrew/Protestant books). Hopefully, someday soon, it will all be
          worked out.