¿Which other Bible Books?

  • Rafael Dominguez-Hernandez
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4, 2010
      ¡Good afternoon, Gentlemen!

      I need a little help:

      I have studying some Bible Book Catalogues of the three Major Codices and some modern Editions of the Old Testament according the LXX. The most known of the Editions is the Alfred Rahlfs’, based on the Book list of Codex Alexandrinus, and it contains the Book IV of Maccabees, also the Books of Odes and Psalms of Solomon. Nevertheless, the Henry Barclay Swete’s Edition, just a little earlier, and preferently based on Codex Vaticanus, contains some parts and passages proper of the Greek known text of the Book of Enoch, partially also based on Codex Panopolitanus.

      My actual question is:

      ¿Which other Books, in addition to these, may be found in the many Minor Greek Codices of Biblical texts, or portions of the same?

      ¡Thanks for your attention!
      Rafael Dominguez.

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
        See Henry Barclay Swete, Introduction to the Old Testament in Greek, chapter 3, esp. pages 285-288.

        Don't mention it!

        Andrew Fincke

        To: Lxx@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
          ¡Thanks! Your tip has been very much utile unto me... :-)

          ________________________________

          To: Lxx@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
            I read “An Introduction to the Old Testament in Greek”, by Henry Barclay Swete. In this document I found some summary references to the Books proper of the Wide Bible Canon, the followed by the common of the distinct Orthodox Christian Churches, also in a minor number by the Roman Catholic Church. In addition to these, this document mentions a large series of Books that were early proposed by Jews and Israelites during Pre-Christian times. Nevertheless, the author of the document comments that all these Books really never were taken as a part of the Bible, nor the LXX Version of the Old Testament. Reiteratively, the document mentions IV Maccabees, Odes, Psalms of Solomon, and Enoch, as the only Books that were certainly included, in very early times, among the LXX Old Testament Bible texts.

            I have a very concrete specific unstillness about the early, historical and present Canonical or Biblical status of Books proper of the Non-Calcedonian —Nestorian and Eutychian— Church Bible early versions… Some Books as are Enoch, Jubilees, the Greek and Syriac Apocalypses of Baruch, the Rest of Words of Baruch, also eventually IV Maccabees, II Esdras (IV Ezra) and the Syriac Psalms 152-155… I would like to know, for an example, which is the very exact Canonical status of these early received Bible Books before the Nestorian and Eutychian Christian Churches through the Common Era, also at the present day…

            ¡Thanks for your attention!
            Rafael Dominguez.

            ________________________________

            To: Lxx@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
              Dear Rafael,

              It would be helpful for you to have something more up-to-date to read
              on the subject, as well. I would recommend the following:

              Lee McDonald, _The Biblical Canon_
              Lee McDonald and James Sanders, _The Canon Debate_

              _The Biblical Canon: Its Origin, Transmission, and Authority_ will
              give you the background of the development of the canon, and explain
              why your questions are very difficult to answer, as some of them are
              built on somewhat incorrect suppositions about the entire process of
              canon formation.

              _The Canon Debate_ is a collection of very interesting articles
              discussing various more specialized aspects of Biblical canon studies.

              I think you will find both books very useful and enlightening.

              Regards,
              Kevin P. Edgecomb
              Berkeley, California
            • Mitrophan Chin
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
                Below goes into how to understand divine inspiration of the biblical canon and extrabiblical books and ten
                levels of classification regarding the (extra)biblical books using the Quinisext Ecumenical Synod as the starting
                point:

                http://www.oodegr.com/english/ag_grafi/kanonas0.htm
                http://www.oodegr.com/english/ag_grafi/biblia.grafis1.htm

                -Mitrophan

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
                  Dear Sires:

                  ¡I thank you very much for your appointments!

                  Really your appointments are contributing greatly to increase my modest knowledge about the postures of the Orthodox Christian Church relative to the distinct “value critters” of distinct Bible Books.

                  The widest Bible Versions and Editions in all the Latin World, where I am living, are just Roman Catholic. I know all Bible texts included in these Bibles, whit all incorrections that a Hebrew-Aramaic textual base of the most of their Old Testament texts may suppose.

                  For many, many years I has came assuming the idea that the common of the Orthodox Christian Bibles —in addition to all the Bible texts included in the Roman Catholic Bible Versions— include as an integral part of them some texts that today I did not read in any of the 6 distinct Bible Canons followed by the Orthodox Christian Churches, maybe for being included in other explicitely mentioned major Bible body texts.

                  Diverse authors affirm that the common of the Orthodox Christian Churches include in their Bibles, in a consensual way, the following texts:

                  01. The Chapter 151 of the Book of Psalms, with its Epigraph-Verse
                  02. The Prayer of Manasseh —sometimes showed as a Chapter of the Book of Odes, and sometimes showed as the Chapter 37 of the Book II of Chronicles—, with its Epigraph-Verse
                  03. The Epilogue of the Book of Job (Job 42:17a-17e)
                  04. The Prologue of the Wisdom of Jesus, Son of Sirach
                  05. The Epigraph-Verse of the Epistle of Jeremiah
                  06. The Epigraph-Verse of the Chapter 1 of the Book of Lamentations
                  07. The Story of Susanna, sometimes as Daniel’s beginning
                  08. The Story of Bel and the Dragon, sometimes as Daniel’s ending
                  09. The Prayer of Azariah, with its complementary Notes, in Daniel 3:24-50
                  10. The Hymn of the 3 Children, with its complementary Notes, in Daniel 3:51-90

                  In a similar way, I could read in the Canon of the Synod of Carthage that it refers five Books of Solomon. I understand that the three first are Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of the Songs, also the fourth of them is Wisdom of Solomon… ¿Which could be the fifth Book of Solomon…? ¿Could be this a reference to the Psalms of Solomon, or another missing Book…?

                  As the beloved Orthodox Christian faithful that at least some of you are, who you know your Holy Bibles very best that any external studious nor observer, I will thank you very much you send to me all eventually pertinent commentaries or observations about the pertinence at proper Bible text of any of these beloved texts.

                  ¡Thanks for your attention!
                  ¡Blessings and regardings!

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
                    Dear Raphael,

                    You are very welcome.

                    It is Sirach that is often counted as the fifth book of Solomon.
                    Although it is not attributed to Solomon, the idea is (it seems) that
                    the wisdom tradition, which Sirach represents, was initiated by
                    Solomon. It's unlikely that the Psalms of Solomon were considered
                    here part of the books of Solomon. Even in the list of books in Codex
                    Alexandrinus, the Psalms of Solomon (which work does not actually
                    survive in the codex) are listed after the New Testament books rather
                    than amongst the Old Testament books.

                    Regards,
                    Kevin P. Edgecomb
                    Berkeley, California

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
                      ¡I thank you very much for these important data, Kevin!

                      I am reconfiguring all my conceptual map about the Holy Bible with so proverbial love followed by my dear Orthodox Christian brethren...

                      ¿Could you tell me if at least one of the other ten numbered listed items does not must being included in a detailed list of Bible texts, or portions, or passages?
                      ¿Or if, by the other side, exists another text that I have no mentioned, and it must being included?

                      ¡Regards!
                      Rafael Dominguez

                      ________________________________

                      Quoting Rafael Dominguez-Hernandez <radohe@rocketmail. com>:

                      > Dear Sires:
                      >
                      > ¡I thank you very much for your appointments!
                      >
                      > Really your appointments are contributing greatly to increase my
                      > modest knowledge about the postures of the Orthodox Christian Church
                      > relative to the distinct “value critters” of distinct Bible Books.
                      >
                      > The widest Bible Versions and Editions in all the Latin World, where
                      > I am living, are just Roman Catholic. I know all Bible texts
                      > included in these Bibles, whit all incorrections that a
                      > Hebrew-Aramaic textual base of the most of their Old Testament texts
                      > may suppose.
                      >
                      > For many, many years I has came assuming the idea that the common of
                      > the Orthodox Christian Bibles —in addition to all the Bible texts
                      > included in the Roman Catholic Bible Versions— include as an
                      > integral part of them some texts that today I did not read in any of
                      > the 6 distinct Bible Canons followed by the Orthodox Christian
                      > Churches, maybe for being included in other explicitely mentioned
                      > major Bible body texts.
                      >
                      > Diverse authors affirm that the common of the Orthodox Christian
                      > Churches include in their Bibles, in a consensual way, the following
                      > texts:
                      >
                      > 01. The Chapter 151 of the Book of Psalms, with its Epigraph-Verse
                      > 02. The Prayer of Manasseh —sometimes showed as a Chapter of the
                      > Book of Odes, and sometimes showed as the Chapter 37 of the Book II
                      > of Chronicles—, with its Epigraph-Verse
                      > 03. The Epilogue of the Book of Job (Job 42:17a-17e)
                      > 04. The Prologue of the Wisdom of Jesus, Son of Sirach
                      > 05. The Epigraph-Verse of the Epistle of Jeremiah
                      > 06. The Epigraph-Verse of the Chapter 1 of the Book of Lamentations
                      > 07. The Story of Susanna, sometimes as Daniel’s beginning
                      > 08. The Story of Bel and the Dragon, sometimes as Daniel’s ending
                      > 09. The Prayer of Azariah, with its complementary Notes, in Daniel 3:24-50
                      > 10. The Hymn of the 3 Children, with its complementary Notes, in
                      > Daniel 3:51-90
                      >
                      > In a similar way, I could read in the Canon of the Synod of Carthage
                      > that it refers five Books of Solomon. I understand that the three
                      > first are Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of the Songs, also
                      > the fourth of them is Wisdom of Solomon… ¿Which could be the fifth
                      > Book of Solomon…? ¿Could be this a reference to the Psalms of
                      > Solomon, or another missing Book…?
                      >
                      > As the beloved Orthodox Christian faithful that at least some of you
                      > are, who you know your Holy Bibles very best that any external
                      > studious nor observer, I will thank you very much you send to me all
                      > eventually pertinent commentaries or observations about the
                      > pertinence at proper Bible text of any of these beloved texts.
                      >
                      > ¡Thanks for your attention!
                      > ¡Blessings and regardings!
                      >

                      > ____________ _________ _________ __

                    • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
                        Dear Rafael,

                        You are very welcome. I will have to check a copy of the
                        Ecclesiastical text for you, later this evening. As far as I am
                        aware, all ten are included, with the possible exception of the
                        epigraphs for the Letter of Jeremiah and Lamentations. I'll have to
                        look at those. All of the rest are certainly included.

                        You may also find it interesting to note that in the Eastern Orthodox
                        communion, there is as yet no single official Biblical canon. The two
                        broad traditions (Greek and Russian) differ by one book each (4
                        Maccabees appears in Greek Bibles, while 3 Esdras [=the Ezra
                        Apocalypse] appears in the Russian Bibles. Among other things, the
                        ecclesiastical canons approved in the Quinisext Council in Trullo
                        (taken as Ecumenical for Orthodoxy) approved sets of canons which
                        themselves approved various divergent canons. The principle of wider
                        inclusiveness, however, took hold, so that the Eastern Orthodox
                        Biblical canons are very full, second only to the Ethiopian Orthdoox
                        Biblical canon. If/when there is another Ecumenical Council for the
                        Eastern Orthodox, this will be one of the issues that is taken up,
                        along with a precise determination of the status of the
                        anaginoskomenoi/deuterocanonical/apocryphal books in the Old
                        Testament. The "official" canons now in place are the result of
                        long-standing tradition, however, even though they are in no single
                        place defined as an exclusive Biblical canon analogous to the
                        Tridentine Council.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
                          ¡Yeah...! I had knowledge about the [ Greek-IV-Maccabees / Russian-III-Ezra ] direct alternative difference... Nevertheless, I had a notion or idea that these both alternative Books are general and commonly considered just as Appendices in these respective Bible editions... ¿Is not this notion correct?

                          ¡Mmh...!

                          ________________________________
                          You are very welcome. I will have to check a copy of the
                          Ecclesiastical text for you, later this evening. As far as I am
                          aware, all ten are included, with the possible exception of the
                          epigraphs for the Letter of Jeremiah and Lamentations. I'll have to
                          look at those. All of the rest are certainly included.

                          You may also find it interesting to note that in the Eastern Orthodox
                          communion, there is as yet no single official Biblical canon. The two
                          broad traditions (Greek and Russian) differ by one book each (4
                          Maccabees appears in Greek Bibles, while 3 Esdras [=the Ezra
                          Apocalypse] appears in the Russian Bibles. Among other things, the
                          ecclesiastical canons approved in the Quinisext Council in Trullo
                          (taken as Ecumenical for Orthodoxy) approved sets of canons which
                          themselves approved various divergent canons. The principle of wider
                          inclusiveness, however, took hold, so that the Eastern Orthodox
                          Biblical canons are very full, second only to the Ethiopian Orthdoox
                          Biblical canon. If/when there is another Ecumenical Council for the
                          Eastern Orthodox, this will be one of the issues that is taken up,
                          along with a precise determination of the status of the
                          anaginoskomenoi/ deuterocanonical /apocryphal books in the Old
                          Testament. The "official" canons now in place are the result of
                          long-standing tradition, however, even though they are in no single
                          place defined as an exclusive Biblical canon analogous to the
                          Tridentine Council.

                          Regards,
                          Kevin P. Edgecomb
                          Berkeley, California

                          Quoting Rafael Dominguez-Hernandez <radohe@rocketmail. com>:

                          > ¡I thank you very much for these important data, Kevin!
                          >
                          > I am reconfiguring all my conceptual map about the Holy Bible with
                          > so proverbial love followed by my dear Orthodox Christian brethren...
                          >
                          > ¿Could you tell me if at least one of the other ten numbered listed
                          > items does not must being included in a detailed list of Bible
                          > texts, or portions, or passages?
                          > ¿Or if, by the other side, exists another text that I have no
                          > mentioned, and it must being included?
                          >
                          > ¡Regards!
                          > Rafael Dominguez
                          >
                          > ____________ _________ _________ __

                        • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
                            Dear Rapael,
                            Yes, that's correct. The original edition of the modern Apostoliki
                            Diakonia Greek Ecclesiastical text for the Septuagint had 4 Maccabees
                            printed in an appendix to the Old Testament, I've been told.
                            Interestingly, it was later moved from there into the place following
                            3 Maccabees. (As an aside, the "Comma Johanneum" was originally
                            printed in smaller text, indicating its non-canonical character, but
                            this formatting was later dropped so that it appears in current
                            printings to be an accepted text of the Byzantine tradition, which it
                            is certainly not.)

                            The book of 3 Esdras is printed in the Russian Bibles after Nehemias
                            (which in the Greek tradition is the second half of 2 Esdras). But
                            the Russians are much more comfortable with calling it non-canonical,
                            despite the fact that it is printed in the Bible.

                            The situation with the terminology is quite complicated. You'll find
                            Eastern Orthodox writers on the subject claiming that all are
                            canonical, as they're traditionally printed in the Bibles, and yet
                            other writers claiming a distinction (whether for their being
                            deuterocanonical or apocryphal or "anaginoskomenoi", "books read",
                            based upon St Athanasios the Great's description of the
                            non-Hebrew/Protestant books). Hopefully, someday soon, it will all be
                            worked out.