[lxx] To herd the winds (Prov. 9:12)

  • Emanuel Contac
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
      Hello List,

      Some time ago I had
      the chance of listening to a Romanian scholar discuss a Romanian phrase (a
      paşte vânt) which seems to come ultimately from the Bible, from Proverbs 9:12
      (poimainein anemous) in LXX (i.e. Old Greek). Strangely enough, the Romanian for „poimainein anemous” means „to waste
      time, to sit idly, to kill time”. I will not expand on that because my purpose is to see what
      the original meaning of the phrase was in the LXX, in the context of Proverbs (for which we have no Hebrew correspondent at this particular verse).

      Note that this fragment also occurs in
      Vulgate, in Pr. 10:4 (How it ended there would be another discussion which I do not intend to pursue).

      Does anyone know if this
      phrase (poimainein anemous) was used in Byzantine Greek or in Modern Greek? Did it become a by-word
      for someone wasting time?

      Brenton takes poimainein as „rule” and so gives the following meaning: he who resorts to lies is like
      the one attempting to rule the winds (these
      being notoriously untamable).

      Below you can read the verse in Old Greek, Brenton and Vulgata Clementina. Any insights would be much appreciated.

      LXX
      - ὃς ἐρείδεται ἐπὶψεύδεσιν οὗτος ποιμανεῖἀνέμους ὁδ᾽αὐτὸς διώξεται ὄρνεα πετόμενα (Pro 9:12)

      Brenton
      - He that stays himself upon falsehoods, attempts to rule the winds, and the
      same will pursue birds in their fight: (Pro 9:12)

      Vulgata
      Clementina - Qui nititur mendaciis, hic pascit ventos; idem autem ipse sequitur
      aves volantes. (Pro 10:4)

      Note also Hosea 12:1 Ephraim pascit ventum, et sequitur aestum; tota die mendacium et
      vastitatem multiplicat: et foedus cum Assyriis iniit, et oleum in Aegyptum
      ferebat.

      Very
      interestingly, later commentators of the Latin text of Hosea took “pascere” as “feeding
      on”. That is, Ephraim is “feeding on the wind”. The dual sense of “pascere” is
      kept in Romanian too; a paşte can
      mean “to feed the animals, by taking them to graze on a pasture”, as well as “graze,
      feed on grass” (used of the animal itself).

      Blessings,
      Emanuel Conţac, Romania

      Who flies afar from the sphere of our sorrow,
      Is here today and here tomorrow.