LXX/OG Terminology

  • Kenneth Litwak
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2010
      This is the first I've heard of this distinction and it is interesting in light of a book I'm reviewing on the Minor Prophets in the New Testament. Virtually every essay uses the more common terminology of LXX?Septuagint for the Minor Prophets in Greek. I accept the distinction but it seems fairly clear that the vast majority of scholars either do not know about it or do not care about it.

      Ken Litwak
    • Larry J.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2010
        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Litwak <javajedi2@...> wrote:

        > This is the first I've heard of this distinction and it is interesting in light of a book I'm reviewing on the Minor Prophets in the New Testament. Virtually every essay uses the more common terminology of LXX?Septuagint for the Minor Prophets in Greek. I accept the distinction but it seems fairly clear that the vast majority of scholars either do not know about it or do not care about it.
        >
        > Ken Litwak

        Ken is quite right. The participants of this list have followed Robert Kraft, who used to be on the list and may still be, and his students in making this distinction. It is a more accurate description and in my view is one everyone should use. Unfortunately, however, it hasn't caught on yet in the field at large, not even at SBL.

        Larry Swain
      • Kevin Edgecomb
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2010
          I think it's more of a case of the esoteric nature of specialization. In
          Septuagint studies, the distinction is always made. Outside of the field
          proper, the terminology and distinction is unfamiliar. It's slowly
          percolating through, though.

          Regards,
          Kevin P. Edgecomb
          Berkeley, California