Re: [lxx] nifty book

  • John McChesney-Young
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 27, 2010
      On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:55 PM, J. K. Chesterton <vaisamar@...> wrote:

      > It is quite strange that I cannot see it as downloadable. I see it from Romania. Is there a copyright regulation which prevents me from seeing it as available?

      Unfortunately, Google thinks there is, or may be, one, and I apologize
      for forgetting the international readership of this group. See:

      http://books.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=44666

      Although the current US copyright terms are long, they are even longer
      in some other countries.

      A search of Google (or for less irony another search engine) for
      "Google Books copyright proxy server" - without quotes - might produce
      some suggestions for a work-around.

      John

      --
      John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
      JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://twitter.com/jmccyoung **
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 27, 2010
        Dear Philip:

        Hello! I would love to hep you, but please flesh out you idea/thesis a little more for me in regards to the various contextual differenced between the LXX and the MT.
        Thank you, and have a nice day

        PS Just so you know usually we reserve the term LXX for the first Five Books of Moses and OG (Old Greek) for the rest of the Greek Old Testament/Tanak. Take care.

        Peter A. Papoutsis

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
          Peter Papoutsis wrote:

          PS Just so you know usually we reserve the term LXX for the first Five Books of Moses and OG (Old Greek) for the rest of the Greek Old Testament/Tanak. Take care.

          ==========

          Peter, this is the first I've ever heard of such a distinction, and it strikes me as bizarre, since - as far as I am aware - the Greek canon of the OT, commonly referred to as the Septuagint, includes all the books found in the Masoretic Hebrew text. What is the basis for such a convention and who are "we"? Scholars, in general, or just the membership of this list?

          David James
          Rye, NH
        • Sigrid Peterson
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
            David,
            "Septuagint" refers only to the (miraculous) translation from Hebrew,
            made by the Seventy scholars in Alexandria, in/around 300 BCE, and described
            first in the Letter of Aristeas. The books translated then were the
            Torah/Pentateuch -- Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy -- five
            books.

            Old Greek refers to all the different ancient translations from Hebrew
            into Greek, including the Pentateuch/Torah, and is the more general term.

            If your example texts are all from the Torah/Pentateuch, the term
            "Septuagint" can correctly be used. If they are from the Greek translations
            of the Hebrew (not the MT, exactly) that span about 500 years, and include
            books with no (known) Hebrew <i>Vorlage</i>, then OG is a better term.

            Note that for particular books, there are sometimes more than one
            ancient translation. In that case, OG also serves to designate the "oldest"
            derived text, derived by text-critical methods.

            Don't be misled by the Jobes & Silva *Invitation to the Septuagint
            (2000)*. They weren't willing to move against the stream at that time, and
            use the correct terminology. If you read carefully, you will recognized that
            the understanding I sketch above is also theirs.

            You will also find people who know better lapsing into LXX as a general
            term; I did it to someone who is not attempting scholarship in this field,
            the other day, as a simplification.

            All the best,
            Sigrid Peterson, PhD

            Sigrid Peterson, PhD
            Lecturer
            Department of Religious Studies
            201 Claudia Cohen Hall
            University of Pennsylvania
            Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

            petersig {at} sas.upenn.edu
            001-215-275-2740 (Cell)

            On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:35 AM, tachygraphy <Jamesdm49@...> wrote:

            > Peter Papoutsis wrote:
            >
            > PS Just so you know usually we reserve the term LXX for the first Five
            > Books of Moses and OG (Old Greek) for the rest of the Greek Old
            > Testament/Tanak. Take care.
            >
            > ==========
            >
            > Peter, this is the first I've ever heard of such a distinction, and it
            > strikes me as bizarre, since - as far as I am aware - the Greek canon of the
            > OT, commonly referred to as the Septuagint, includes all the books found in
            > the Masoretic Hebrew text. What is the basis for such a convention and who
            > are "we"? Scholars, in general, or just the membership of this list?
            >
            > David James
            > Rye, NH

          • tachygraphy
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
              Does that mean that Dr. Albert Pietersma was not following scholarly convention when he titled his translation of the Psalms, "A New English Translation of the Septuagint"?

              --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Sigrid Peterson <petersig@...> wrote:

              > David,
              > "Septuagint" refers only to the (miraculous) translation from Hebrew,
              > made by the Seventy scholars in Alexandria, in/around 300 BCE, and described
              > first in the Letter of Aristeas. The books translated then were the
              > Torah/Pentateuch -- Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy -- five
              > books.
              >
              > Old Greek refers to all the different ancient translations from Hebrew
              > into Greek, including the Pentateuch/Torah, and is the more general term.
              >
              > If your example texts are all from the Torah/Pentateuch, the term
              > "Septuagint" can correctly be used. If they are from the Greek translations
              > of the Hebrew (not the MT, exactly) that span about 500 years, and include
              > books with no (known) Hebrew <i>Vorlage</i>, then OG is a better term.
              >
              > Note that for particular books, there are sometimes more than one
              > ancient translation. In that case, OG also serves to designate the "oldest"
              > derived text, derived by text-critical methods.
              >
              > Don't be misled by the Jobes & Silva *Invitation to the Septuagint
              > (2000)*. They weren't willing to move against the stream at that time, and
              > use the correct terminology. If you read carefully, you will recognized that
              > the understanding I sketch above is also theirs.
              >
              > You will also find people who know better lapsing into LXX as a general
              > term; I did it to someone who is not attempting scholarship in this field,
              > the other day, as a simplification.
              >
              > All the best,
              > Sigrid Peterson, PhD
              >

              > Sigrid Peterson, PhD
              > Lecturer
              > Department of Religious Studies
              > 201 Claudia Cohen Hall
              > University of Pennsylvania
              > Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA
              >
              > petersig {at} sas.upenn.edu
              > 001-215-275-2740 (Cell)
              >

              > On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:35 AM, tachygraphy <Jamesdm49@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Peter Papoutsis wrote:
              > >
              > > PS Just so you know usually we reserve the term LXX for the first Five
              > > Books of Moses and OG (Old Greek) for the rest of the Greek Old
              > > Testament/Tanak. Take care.
              > >
              > > ==========
              > >
              > > Peter, this is the first I've ever heard of such a distinction, and it
              > > strikes me as bizarre, since - as far as I am aware - the Greek canon of the
              > > OT, commonly referred to as the Septuagint, includes all the books found in
              > > the Masoretic Hebrew text. What is the basis for such a convention and who
              > > are "we"? Scholars, in general, or just the membership of this list?
              > >
              > > David James
              > > Rye, NH

            • Peter Papoutsis
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                Well, actually the Canons between the LXX and the MT are vastly different in the number of Books and in the texts that are used.

                As an Orthodox Christian I use the term "Septuagint" for the entire Greek Old Testament. But scholars do differentiate between Septuagint (First Five Books) and the Old Greek (The remainder). If you go to the NETS website (New English Translation of the Septuagint) they explain this distinction. Also, other board members may also explain this to you.

                Take care

                Peter

                Peter A. Papoutsis

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                  No not at all. In fact, Prof. Pietersma event acknowledged this divergence, but went with the weight of history that generally has used "Septuagint" for the whole Greek Old Testment.

                  Peter A. Papoutsis

                  ________________________________
                  Does that mean that Dr. Albert Pietersma was not following scholarly convention when he titled his translation of the Psalms, "A New English Translation of the Septuagint"?

                  --- In lxx@yahoogroups. com, Sigrid Peterson <petersig@.. .> wrote:

                  > David,
                  > "Septuagint" refers only to the (miraculous) translation from Hebrew,
                  > made by the Seventy scholars in Alexandria, in/around 300 BCE, and described
                  > first in the Letter of Aristeas. The books translated then were the
                  > Torah/Pentateuch -- Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy -- five
                  > books.
                  >
                  > Old Greek refers to all the different ancient translations from Hebrew
                  > into Greek, including the Pentateuch/Torah, and is the more general term.
                  >
                  > If your example texts are all from the Torah/Pentateuch, the term
                  > "Septuagint" can correctly be used. If they are from the Greek translations
                  > of the Hebrew (not the MT, exactly) that span about 500 years, and include
                  > books with no (known) Hebrew <i>Vorlage</ i>, then OG is a better term.
                  >
                  > Note that for particular books, there are sometimes more than one
                  > ancient translation. In that case, OG also serves to designate the "oldest"
                  > derived text, derived by text-critical methods.
                  >
                  > Don't be misled by the Jobes & Silva *Invitation to the Septuagint
                  > (2000)*. They weren't willing to move against the stream at that time, and
                  > use the correct terminology. If you read carefully, you will recognized that
                  > the understanding I sketch above is also theirs.
                  >
                  > You will also find people who know better lapsing into LXX as a general
                  > term; I did it to someone who is not attempting scholarship in this field,
                  > the other day, as a simplification.
                  >
                  > All the best,
                  > Sigrid Peterson, PhD
                  >

                  > Sigrid Peterson, PhD
                  > Lecturer
                  > Department of Religious Studies
                  > 201 Claudia Cohen Hall
                  > University of Pennsylvania
                  > Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA
                  >
                  > petersig {at} sas.upenn.edu
                  > 001-215-275- 2740 (Cell)
                  >

                  > On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:35 AM, tachygraphy <Jamesdm49@. ..> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Peter Papoutsis wrote:
                  > >
                  > > PS Just so you know usually we reserve the term LXX for the first Five
                  > > Books of Moses and OG (Old Greek) for the rest of the Greek Old
                  > > Testament/Tanak. Take care.
                  > >
                  > > ==========
                  > >
                  > > Peter, this is the first I've ever heard of such a distinction, and it
                  > > strikes me as bizarre, since - as far as I am aware - the Greek canon of the
                  > > OT, commonly referred to as the Septuagint, includes all the books found in
                  > > the Masoretic Hebrew text. What is the basis for such a convention and who
                  > > are "we"? Scholars, in general, or just the membership of this list?
                  > >
                  > > David James
                  > > Rye, NH

                • Theo van der Louw
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                    Dear Philip,

                    Please forgive me my liberty, but I have recently written a PhD, where this issue plays a role on many pages. It is called Transformations in the Septuagint, and is published by Peeters in Leuven (2007). You can order it through their website.

                    Yours,

                    Theo A.W. van der Louw.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                      Thank you, Peter, and Dr. Peterson, for taking the time to explain the nuances of the correct terminology to a neophyte. It's much appreciated and, of course, it's always good to learn.

                      David James