nifty book

  • tachygraphy
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 26, 2010
      I just discovered a wonderful book on Amazon.com:

      "Notes on the Psalter: Extracts of Parallel Passages from the Prayer Book, Septuagint and Vulgate Versions", by the Rev. Charles Evans, originally published in 1904 by John Murray, Albemarle Street, London, and now reissued by Kessinger Publishing's Legacy Reprints (for a full catalog, see www.kessinger.net).

      This handy volume notes all the discrepancies in the Psalter of the [1662] Book of Common Prayer from the Septuagint and Vulgate and provides the corresponding Greek and Latin (from the Psalterium Gallicanum, St. Jerome's translation of the Septuagint), to which are occasionally added quotations from the Hexapla of Origen, the Psalterium Romanum and from the Psalterium iuxta Hebraeos (St. Jerome's direct translation from the Hebrew).

      The Greek manuscripts cited are:

      the Codex Sinaiticus

      the Codex Alexandrinus

      the Codex Vaticanus

      the Psalterium Graeco-Latinum Veronense

      the Psalterium Turicense
    • John McChesney-Young
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 26, 2010
        On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 5:15 AM, tachygraphy <Jamesdm49@...> wrote:

        > I just discovered a wonderful book on Amazon.com:
        >
        > "Notes on the Psalter: ...", by the Rev. Charles Evans, originally published in 1904 ...

        It's also available at Google Books, viewable on-line and downloadable:

        http://books.google.com/books?id=U_EOAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Notes+on+the+Psalter&hl=en&ei=qaysS9O8GYuQsgPNhpXPDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CEIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

        or http://tinyurl.com/y9dalkh

        John

        --
        John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
        JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://twitter.com/jmccyoung **
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 26, 2010
          It is quite strange that I cannot see it as downloadable. I see it from Romania. Is there a copyright regulation which prevents me from seeing it as available?

          Emanuel Contac, Romania

          Who flies afar from the sphere of our sorrow,
          Is here today and here tomorrow.

          ________________________________
          > I just discovered a wonderful book on Amazon.com:
          >
          > "Notes on the Psalter: ...", by the Rev. Charles Evans, originally published in 1904 ...

          It's also available at Google Books, viewable on-line and downloadable:

          http://books. google.com/ books?id= U_EOAAAAQAAJ& printsec= frontcover& dq=Notes+ on+the+Psalter& hl=en&ei= qaysS9O8GYuQsgPN hpXPDQ&sa= X&oi=book_ result&ct= result&resnum= 2&ved=0CEIQ6AEwA Q#v=onepage& q=&f=false

          or http://tinyurl. com/y9dalkh

          John

          --
          John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
          JMcCYoung~at~ gmail.com ** http://twitter. com/jmccyoung **
          http://jmccyoung. blogspot. com/

        • Philip
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 26, 2010
            Dear LXX Group,

            I am writing my PhD thesis in textual criticism. My topic is: DIFFERENCES BETWEEN  THE LXX & THE MT: A STUDY OF NINE (9) SELECTED TEXTS.

            Please help me formulate my ideas on the role that contextualization plays in the LXX translation.

            Many thanks,

            Philip Engmann,
            PhD cand.

          • Jannes Smith
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 26, 2010
              Dear Philip,

              1. What are your ideas?
              2. What do you mean by contextualization? E.g. whose context?
              3. By LXX do you mean OG?

              Jannes
              --
              Jannes Smith
              46 Hayward Crest

              on 3/27/10 12:36 PM, Philip at philipengmann@... wrote:

              > Dear LXX Group,
              >
              > I am writing my PhD thesis in textual criticism. My topic is: DIFFERENCES
              > BETWEEN  THE LXX & THE MT: A STUDY OF NINE (9) SELECTED TEXTS.
              >
              > Please help me formulate my ideas on the role that contextualization plays in
              > the LXX translation.
              >
              > Many thanks,
              >
              > Philip Engmann,
              > PhD cand.

            • John McChesney-Young
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 27, 2010
                On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:55 PM, J. K. Chesterton <vaisamar@...> wrote:

                > It is quite strange that I cannot see it as downloadable. I see it from Romania. Is there a copyright regulation which prevents me from seeing it as available?

                Unfortunately, Google thinks there is, or may be, one, and I apologize
                for forgetting the international readership of this group. See:

                http://books.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=44666

                Although the current US copyright terms are long, they are even longer
                in some other countries.

                A search of Google (or for less irony another search engine) for
                "Google Books copyright proxy server" - without quotes - might produce
                some suggestions for a work-around.

                John

                --
                John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
                JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://twitter.com/jmccyoung **
                http://jmccyoung.blogspot.com/
              • Peter Papoutsis
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 27, 2010
                  Dear Philip:

                  Hello! I would love to hep you, but please flesh out you idea/thesis a little more for me in regards to the various contextual differenced between the LXX and the MT.
                  Thank you, and have a nice day

                  PS Just so you know usually we reserve the term LXX for the first Five Books of Moses and OG (Old Greek) for the rest of the Greek Old Testament/Tanak. Take care.

                  Peter A. Papoutsis

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                    Peter Papoutsis wrote:

                    PS Just so you know usually we reserve the term LXX for the first Five Books of Moses and OG (Old Greek) for the rest of the Greek Old Testament/Tanak. Take care.

                    ==========

                    Peter, this is the first I've ever heard of such a distinction, and it strikes me as bizarre, since - as far as I am aware - the Greek canon of the OT, commonly referred to as the Septuagint, includes all the books found in the Masoretic Hebrew text. What is the basis for such a convention and who are "we"? Scholars, in general, or just the membership of this list?

                    David James
                    Rye, NH
                  • Sigrid Peterson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                      David,
                      "Septuagint" refers only to the (miraculous) translation from Hebrew,
                      made by the Seventy scholars in Alexandria, in/around 300 BCE, and described
                      first in the Letter of Aristeas. The books translated then were the
                      Torah/Pentateuch -- Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy -- five
                      books.

                      Old Greek refers to all the different ancient translations from Hebrew
                      into Greek, including the Pentateuch/Torah, and is the more general term.

                      If your example texts are all from the Torah/Pentateuch, the term
                      "Septuagint" can correctly be used. If they are from the Greek translations
                      of the Hebrew (not the MT, exactly) that span about 500 years, and include
                      books with no (known) Hebrew <i>Vorlage</i>, then OG is a better term.

                      Note that for particular books, there are sometimes more than one
                      ancient translation. In that case, OG also serves to designate the "oldest"
                      derived text, derived by text-critical methods.

                      Don't be misled by the Jobes & Silva *Invitation to the Septuagint
                      (2000)*. They weren't willing to move against the stream at that time, and
                      use the correct terminology. If you read carefully, you will recognized that
                      the understanding I sketch above is also theirs.

                      You will also find people who know better lapsing into LXX as a general
                      term; I did it to someone who is not attempting scholarship in this field,
                      the other day, as a simplification.

                      All the best,
                      Sigrid Peterson, PhD

                      Sigrid Peterson, PhD
                      Lecturer
                      Department of Religious Studies
                      201 Claudia Cohen Hall
                      University of Pennsylvania
                      Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

                      petersig {at} sas.upenn.edu
                      001-215-275-2740 (Cell)

                      On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:35 AM, tachygraphy <Jamesdm49@...> wrote:

                      > Peter Papoutsis wrote:
                      >
                      > PS Just so you know usually we reserve the term LXX for the first Five
                      > Books of Moses and OG (Old Greek) for the rest of the Greek Old
                      > Testament/Tanak. Take care.
                      >
                      > ==========
                      >
                      > Peter, this is the first I've ever heard of such a distinction, and it
                      > strikes me as bizarre, since - as far as I am aware - the Greek canon of the
                      > OT, commonly referred to as the Septuagint, includes all the books found in
                      > the Masoretic Hebrew text. What is the basis for such a convention and who
                      > are "we"? Scholars, in general, or just the membership of this list?
                      >
                      > David James
                      > Rye, NH

                    • tachygraphy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                        Does that mean that Dr. Albert Pietersma was not following scholarly convention when he titled his translation of the Psalms, "A New English Translation of the Septuagint"?

                        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Sigrid Peterson <petersig@...> wrote:

                        > David,
                        > "Septuagint" refers only to the (miraculous) translation from Hebrew,
                        > made by the Seventy scholars in Alexandria, in/around 300 BCE, and described
                        > first in the Letter of Aristeas. The books translated then were the
                        > Torah/Pentateuch -- Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy -- five
                        > books.
                        >
                        > Old Greek refers to all the different ancient translations from Hebrew
                        > into Greek, including the Pentateuch/Torah, and is the more general term.
                        >
                        > If your example texts are all from the Torah/Pentateuch, the term
                        > "Septuagint" can correctly be used. If they are from the Greek translations
                        > of the Hebrew (not the MT, exactly) that span about 500 years, and include
                        > books with no (known) Hebrew <i>Vorlage</i>, then OG is a better term.
                        >
                        > Note that for particular books, there are sometimes more than one
                        > ancient translation. In that case, OG also serves to designate the "oldest"
                        > derived text, derived by text-critical methods.
                        >
                        > Don't be misled by the Jobes & Silva *Invitation to the Septuagint
                        > (2000)*. They weren't willing to move against the stream at that time, and
                        > use the correct terminology. If you read carefully, you will recognized that
                        > the understanding I sketch above is also theirs.
                        >
                        > You will also find people who know better lapsing into LXX as a general
                        > term; I did it to someone who is not attempting scholarship in this field,
                        > the other day, as a simplification.
                        >
                        > All the best,
                        > Sigrid Peterson, PhD
                        >

                        > Sigrid Peterson, PhD
                        > Lecturer
                        > Department of Religious Studies
                        > 201 Claudia Cohen Hall
                        > University of Pennsylvania
                        > Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA
                        >
                        > petersig {at} sas.upenn.edu
                        > 001-215-275-2740 (Cell)
                        >

                        > On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:35 AM, tachygraphy <Jamesdm49@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Peter Papoutsis wrote:
                        > >
                        > > PS Just so you know usually we reserve the term LXX for the first Five
                        > > Books of Moses and OG (Old Greek) for the rest of the Greek Old
                        > > Testament/Tanak. Take care.
                        > >
                        > > ==========
                        > >
                        > > Peter, this is the first I've ever heard of such a distinction, and it
                        > > strikes me as bizarre, since - as far as I am aware - the Greek canon of the
                        > > OT, commonly referred to as the Septuagint, includes all the books found in
                        > > the Masoretic Hebrew text. What is the basis for such a convention and who
                        > > are "we"? Scholars, in general, or just the membership of this list?
                        > >
                        > > David James
                        > > Rye, NH

                      • Peter Papoutsis
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                          Well, actually the Canons between the LXX and the MT are vastly different in the number of Books and in the texts that are used.

                          As an Orthodox Christian I use the term "Septuagint" for the entire Greek Old Testament. But scholars do differentiate between Septuagint (First Five Books) and the Old Greek (The remainder). If you go to the NETS website (New English Translation of the Septuagint) they explain this distinction. Also, other board members may also explain this to you.

                          Take care

                          Peter

                          Peter A. Papoutsis

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                            No not at all. In fact, Prof. Pietersma event acknowledged this divergence, but went with the weight of history that generally has used "Septuagint" for the whole Greek Old Testment.

                            Peter A. Papoutsis

                            ________________________________
                            Does that mean that Dr. Albert Pietersma was not following scholarly convention when he titled his translation of the Psalms, "A New English Translation of the Septuagint"?

                            --- In lxx@yahoogroups. com, Sigrid Peterson <petersig@.. .> wrote:

                            > David,
                            > "Septuagint" refers only to the (miraculous) translation from Hebrew,
                            > made by the Seventy scholars in Alexandria, in/around 300 BCE, and described
                            > first in the Letter of Aristeas. The books translated then were the
                            > Torah/Pentateuch -- Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy -- five
                            > books.
                            >
                            > Old Greek refers to all the different ancient translations from Hebrew
                            > into Greek, including the Pentateuch/Torah, and is the more general term.
                            >
                            > If your example texts are all from the Torah/Pentateuch, the term
                            > "Septuagint" can correctly be used. If they are from the Greek translations
                            > of the Hebrew (not the MT, exactly) that span about 500 years, and include
                            > books with no (known) Hebrew <i>Vorlage</ i>, then OG is a better term.
                            >
                            > Note that for particular books, there are sometimes more than one
                            > ancient translation. In that case, OG also serves to designate the "oldest"
                            > derived text, derived by text-critical methods.
                            >
                            > Don't be misled by the Jobes & Silva *Invitation to the Septuagint
                            > (2000)*. They weren't willing to move against the stream at that time, and
                            > use the correct terminology. If you read carefully, you will recognized that
                            > the understanding I sketch above is also theirs.
                            >
                            > You will also find people who know better lapsing into LXX as a general
                            > term; I did it to someone who is not attempting scholarship in this field,
                            > the other day, as a simplification.
                            >
                            > All the best,
                            > Sigrid Peterson, PhD
                            >

                            > Sigrid Peterson, PhD
                            > Lecturer
                            > Department of Religious Studies
                            > 201 Claudia Cohen Hall
                            > University of Pennsylvania
                            > Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA
                            >
                            > petersig {at} sas.upenn.edu
                            > 001-215-275- 2740 (Cell)
                            >

                            > On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:35 AM, tachygraphy <Jamesdm49@. ..> wrote:
                            >

                            > > Peter Papoutsis wrote:
                            > >
                            > > PS Just so you know usually we reserve the term LXX for the first Five
                            > > Books of Moses and OG (Old Greek) for the rest of the Greek Old
                            > > Testament/Tanak. Take care.
                            > >
                            > > ==========
                            > >
                            > > Peter, this is the first I've ever heard of such a distinction, and it
                            > > strikes me as bizarre, since - as far as I am aware - the Greek canon of the
                            > > OT, commonly referred to as the Septuagint, includes all the books found in
                            > > the Masoretic Hebrew text. What is the basis for such a convention and who
                            > > are "we"? Scholars, in general, or just the membership of this list?
                            > >
                            > > David James
                            > > Rye, NH

                          • Theo van der Louw
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                              Dear Philip,

                              Please forgive me my liberty, but I have recently written a PhD, where this issue plays a role on many pages. It is called Transformations in the Septuagint, and is published by Peeters in Leuven (2007). You can order it through their website.

                              Yours,

                              Theo A.W. van der Louw.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                                Thank you, Peter, and Dr. Peterson, for taking the time to explain the nuances of the correct terminology to a neophyte. It's much appreciated and, of course, it's always good to learn.

                                David James