RE: [lxx] Sigla in Ziegler's LXX

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
      Page 112 bottom says:

      (Circle with dot) is used at important passages and those where there are few witnesses. It means that all the witnesses of a variant are listed and that the variant can be considered the recensional reading. (Circle with dot) also marks unique readings of the uncials. (Circle without dot) is used with unimportant variants, where only a sampling of witnesses is cited, and the evidence of translations and commentaries is ignored. Thus at verse 9 of page 124 the variant is considered unimportant and is marked with circle, while at verse 10 the important variant is marked with circle with dot.

      Andrew Fincke

      To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
      From: leonardwee123@...
      Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 21:25:34 +0000
      Subject: [lxx] Sigla in Ziegler's LXX

      Dear All,

      I hope I am formulating this email correctly. This is the first time I�m
      requesting for help from this esteemed Forum, although I have been following
      it for a couple of years.

      I am presently doing research on the Septuagint, and have been using the
      G�ttingen Septuaginta text on �Isaias� edited by J. Ziegler.

      Ziegler uses a circle with a dot in the centre in his apparatus that looks
      like this: �, and another one simply a circle without the dot that looks
      like this: �. [I hope this is viewable in the email.]

      This are found, for example, on Page 124 of Ziegler�s text on Isaiah (which
      I attached, and hopefully can be viewed). But the sigla are not explained in
      the volume (at least, I searched but could not find the definition
      anywhere). They are used quite extensively in the apparatus, but I don�t
      know what they mean.

      Can someone kindly enlighten on this?

      Many thanks in advance!

      Leonard