[lxx] Sigla in Ziegler's LXX

  • Leonard Wee
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
      Dear All,

      I hope I am formulating this email correctly. This is the first time I’m
      requesting for help from this esteemed Forum, although I have been following
      it for a couple of years.

      I am presently doing research on the Septuagint, and have been using the
      Göttingen Septuaginta text on ‘Isaias’ edited by J. Ziegler.

      Ziegler uses a circle with a dot in the centre in his apparatus that looks
      like this: , and another one simply a circle without the dot that looks
      like this: š. [I hope this is viewable in the email.]

      This are found, for example, on Page 124 of Ziegler’s text on Isaiah (which
      I attached, and hopefully can be viewed). But the sigla are not explained in
      the volume (at least, I searched but could not find the definition
      anywhere). They are used quite extensively in the apparatus, but I don’t
      know what they mean.

      Can someone kindly enlighten on this?

      Many thanks in advance!

      Leonard

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
        Page 112 bottom says:

        (Circle with dot) is used at important passages and those where there are few witnesses. It means that all the witnesses of a variant are listed and that the variant can be considered the recensional reading. (Circle with dot) also marks unique readings of the uncials. (Circle without dot) is used with unimportant variants, where only a sampling of witnesses is cited, and the evidence of translations and commentaries is ignored. Thus at verse 9 of page 124 the variant is considered unimportant and is marked with circle, while at verse 10 the important variant is marked with circle with dot.

        Andrew Fincke

        To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
        From: leonardwee123@...
        Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 21:25:34 +0000
        Subject: [lxx] Sigla in Ziegler's LXX

        Dear All,

        I hope I am formulating this email correctly. This is the first time I�m
        requesting for help from this esteemed Forum, although I have been following
        it for a couple of years.

        I am presently doing research on the Septuagint, and have been using the
        G�ttingen Septuaginta text on �Isaias� edited by J. Ziegler.

        Ziegler uses a circle with a dot in the centre in his apparatus that looks
        like this: �, and another one simply a circle without the dot that looks
        like this: �. [I hope this is viewable in the email.]

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
          I'm away from my copies of the Goettingen editions, but if memory serves
          correctly, the o with a dot in it means that all known witnesses are
          cited in the note, while the o without a dot means only some of the
          witnesses are cited (presumably the most representative).

          For a general overview of the Goettingen sigla, as used by John Wevers
          in his editions of the Pentateuch (specifically Exodus, as the most
          fully edited electronic representation), see
          http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxvar/1Pentateuch/02Exod-Wevers-Intro.html
          But I don't remember whether Wevers used that specific designation found
          in Ziegler's earlier editions.

          Bob Kraft, UPenn

          Leonard Wee wrote:
          > Dear All,
          >
          > I hope I am formulating this email correctly. This is the first time I’m
          > requesting for help from this esteemed Forum, although I have been following
          > it for a couple of years.
          >
          > I am presently doing research on the Septuagint, and have been using the
          > Göttingen Septuaginta text on ‘Isaias’ edited by J. Ziegler.
          >
          > Ziegler uses a circle with a dot in the centre in his apparatus that looks
          > like this: , and another one simply a circle without the dot that looks
          > like this: š. [I hope this is viewable in the email.]
          >
          > This are found, for example, on Page 124 of Ziegler’s text on Isaiah (which
          > I attached, and hopefully can be viewed). But the sigla are not explained in
          > the volume (at least, I searched but could not find the definition
          > anywhere). They are used quite extensively in the apparatus, but I don’t
          > know what they mean.
          >
          > Can someone kindly enlighten on this?
          >
          > Many thanks in advance!
          >
          > Leonard

        • Ken Penner
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
            The description of the dotted circle and undotted circle are on page 112 of Ziegler’s Einleitung, and also on the insert card.

            Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
            Assistant Professor, Religious Studies
            St. Francis Xavier University
            Antigonish, NS