RE: [lxx] Help needed. Stichoi eis ton theion David.

  • Kevin P. Edgecomb
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2009
      Very nice, Andrew!

      Here's the Holy Transfiguration Monastery translation that I mentioned
      earlier:

      Be silent, Orpheus; thy lyre throw aside, O Hermes.
      The tripod at Delphi hath sunk into oblivion for evermore.
      For us David doth now play the Spirit's lyre,
      The hidden things of God's mysteries he revealeth;
      A multitude of ancient wonders he narrateth;
      Of the Creator of creation, doth he move one to sing.
      Saving all those men he initiateth, as he writeth his verses,
      Sinners doth he bring to desire repentance.
      Among other teachings, to the throng doth he declare the Judge's judgments.
      The purging, he doth teach, of soulful sinnings.

      Regards,
      Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Berkeley, California

      From: kevin@...
      Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:15:47 -0700

      Quoting andrew fincke <finckea@...>:
      > Lines to the Deity David.
      > Hush, Orpheus! Put down, Hermes, the lyre!
      > Three-legged Delphi, sink again into oblivion!
      > Because David is playing for us a spiritual lyre.
      > He explains the hidden mysteries of God.
      > He recounts a multitude of prodigious antiquities.
      > He incites the creation to a song of the Creator.
      > He saves everyone, he initiates into the mysteries, he writes.
      > He brings sinners to repentance.
      > With many others, he clears up the thinking of the confused.
      > He teaches how to wash away errors of the soul.

      I write:
      Rather than "Deity", I would suggest "divine", Andrew.

      Also, if memory serves, I recall a translation of this poem (or one very
      like it) in the front matter to the Holy Transfiguration Monastery Psalter.

      Regards,
      Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Berkeley, California

    • Terri Neimann
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2009
        Actually yes, go to apostolicbible.com

        Terri

        From: kevin@bombaxo. com

        Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:15:47 -0700

        Quoting andrew fincke <finckea@hotmail. com>:

        > Lines to the Deity David.

        > Hush, Orpheus! Put down, Hermes, the lyre!

        > Three-legged Delphi, sink again into oblivion!

        > Because David is playing for us a spiritual lyre.

        > He explains the hidden mysteries of God.

        > He recounts a multitude of prodigious antiquities.

        > He incites the creation to a song of the Creator.

        > He saves everyone, he initiates into the mysteries, he writes.

        > He brings sinners to repentance.

        > With many others, he clears up the thinking of the confused.

        > He teaches how to wash away errors of the soul.

        I write:

        Rather than "Deity", I would suggest "divine", Andrew.

        Also, if memory serves, I recall a translation of this poem (or one

        very like it) in the front matter to the Holy Transfiguration

        Monastery Psalter.

        Regards,

        Kevin P. Edgecomb

        Berkeley, California

        Windows 7: Simplify your PC. Learn more.

        http://www.microsof t.com/Windows/ windows-7/ default.aspx? ocid=PID24727: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- US:WWL_WIN_ evergreen1: 102009

      • Terri Neimann
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2009
          Emmanuel,
          Sorry for being so short-I'm multi-tasking.
          Mike is right but also the original typed text followed the Vaticanus-Sixtine
          text family, then with the acquisition of the 1519
          Aldine Bible in microfilm format from the Koninklijke
          Bibliotheek, of the Netherlands, a comparison
          was made between the Sixtine and Aldine texts, where
          one reading was chosen over the other. With the acquisition
          of the 1709 edition of the Greek Old Testament,
          edited by Lambert Bos, the 1518 Complutensian
          Polyglot variants, located in the extensive footnote
          sections, of the Apostolic Bible were added for comparison with the Sixtine
          and Aldine texts.

          Terri