RE: [lxx] Re: The LXX used as the OT for Christians

  • George Blaisdell
    Message 1 of 85 , Sep 5, 2009
      God bless you, Michael...

      Peter's post was very helpful...

      Do you know that he has done a really nice translation of the entire lxx OT?

      He did it as a memorial to his mother...

      May I be so blessed...

      George Blaisdell [Arsenios]

      To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
      From: kg6gjr@...
      Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:30:25 +0000
      Subject: [lxx] Re: The LXX used as the OT for Christians

      George,

      I have wrestled with this issue. The fact that the apostles quoted extensively (but not exclusively) from the LXX, and the early church used the LXX as their OT for almost 5 centuries is compelling. There is no doubt that Hebrew is the original language of the OT. My question is it the Hebrew behind the MT,or is it the Hebrew behind the LXX. It seems that the DSS confirm the LXX. I have been trained to view the MT as the base for the OT. I am considering if the LXX should be that base. Bear with me, what is simple for you is a bit of a paradigm shift for me. I have been reading through Genesis using the LXX, and I have enjoyed it and been blessed. I did notice some language in the LXX that NT writers picked up on. For example, the MT says that Enoch walked with God, but the LXX says that he was pleasing to God. The NT uses the LXX wording. On a practical level, I am much better at reading Greek than Hebrew. As a result, the LXX is much easier and enjoyable for me to read. I really appreciate your input, and the input of others in this group.

      Michael

    • thomas_sach
      Message 85 of 85 , Sep 21, 2009
        Hi!

        I am looking for Olivier Munnich's article: "Les nomina sacra dans les versions greques de Daniel et leurs supplements deuterocanoniques". (In: Dorival, Gilles & Munnich, Olivier [eds.]: Kata tous o' selon les Septante. [FS Marguerite Harl]. Paris: Cerf, 1995, pp. 145-167.)

        If anybody could help me, please contact me off list.

        Thanks!

        Th.S.