RE: [lxx] Re: The LXX used as the OT for Christians

  • George Blaisdell
    Message 1 of 85 , Sep 5, 2009
      The western Church went with the Latin TRANSLATION... Of the LXX?? Of the Original Hebrew mss?? Or the LXX?

      I do not think you are going to argue that Jerome translated the Masoretic Text into Latin, are you?

      The discrepencies of Origen argue for a look at the original, which no longer exists...

      The greater the range of holy texts in the LXX Tradition the better... I will take ALL these "problems" first before I step even one foot OUTSIDE the Holy Orthodox Church and seek non-Christian correction or headship...

      And I agree, the issues are messy...

      Arsenios

      To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
      From: mej1960@...
      Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 21:25:28 +0000
      Subject: [lxx] Re: The LXX used as the OT for Christians

      --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, George Blaisdell <maqhth@...> wrote:

      > The LXX was the Bible of the Apostles, and has been the

      > OT Bible of the Body of Christ ever since then.

      Unfortunately, no, it is not that simple. Unless, of course, you want to defy even your own church and declare that the West has been in schism ever since Jerome translated the MT into Latin. For from just a few centuries thence, his translation became standard in the West for all the OT except the Psalms and Deuterocanonical books.

      There is also the case of Origen. He was one of the first, certainly most prominent among them to notice the serious discrepancies between the LXX/OG and the MT -- without falling into the trap of exalting either one too highly. It was not for correcting the LXX that he was condemned!

      Then there is also the problem we should never sweep under the rug -- the problem of WHICH "Old Greek Version" you call the 'LXX'. If you apply this term (as so many do) to a wider selection of books than the Letter of Aristeas did, then how do you avoid the conclusion that the Eastern Orthodox Church itself REJECTED the LXX of Daniel, replacing it with a text from the tradition of Theodotion?

    • thomas_sach
      Message 85 of 85 , Sep 21, 2009
        Hi!

        I am looking for Olivier Munnich's article: "Les nomina sacra dans les versions greques de Daniel et leurs supplements deuterocanoniques". (In: Dorival, Gilles & Munnich, Olivier [eds.]: Kata tous o' selon les Septante. [FS Marguerite Harl]. Paris: Cerf, 1995, pp. 145-167.)

        If anybody could help me, please contact me off list.

        Thanks!

        Th.S.