Re: Apocrypha Quotes in NT

  • patandjimellis
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1 3:01 PM
      --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Sigrid Peterson <petersig@...> wrote:

      > To Patandjimellis:
      >
      > With reference to your third point, about Apocryphal and OT references to
      > Hebrews 11:35, see the *The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha,
      > Revised Standard Version,* at Hebrews 11:35 for references to Kings and 2
      > Maccabees. ...

      I wasn't very clear in my post. Hebrews 11:35 refers to women who received some one raised from the dead and to "others" who endured torturing and did not accept deliverance so they could obtain a better resurrection. The first part could apply to 1 Kings 17:17-24 (a miracle of Elijah) and 2 Kings 4:18-37) miracle of Elisha. The latter part of the verse could apply to the story in 2 Maccabees 7:1-41 where a mother and her 7 sons were offered the chance to eat pork and escape death but they refused because of the hope of a better resurrection.
    • Sigrid Peterson
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2 1:53 PM
        Exactly so. Those are the references in Hebrews 11.35, found as notes in the
        NRSV, and elsewhere, for this verse. I think my syntax may have been
        confused at one point, but clearly Hebrews 11.35 refers to Jewish scripture
        (Kings) and the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical books (2 Macc 7) and implies,
        perhaps, reference to 4 Macc, where the tortures are descriped explicitly
        and at length.

        Sigrid Peterson

        Sigrid Peterson, PhD
        Instructor
        Department of Religious Studies
        201 Claudia Cohen Hall
        University of Pennsylvania
        Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

        petersig {at} sas.upenn.edu
        001-215-275-2740 (Cell)

        On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM, patandjimellis <jim@...> wrote:

        > --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com <lxx%40yahoogroups.com>, Sigrid Peterson
        > <petersig@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > To Patandjimellis:
        > >
        > > With reference to your third point, about Apocryphal and OT references to
        > > Hebrews 11:35, see the *The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the
        > Apocrypha,
        > > Revised Standard Version,* at Hebrews 11:35 for references to Kings and 2
        > > Maccabees. ...
        >
        > I wasn't very clear in my post. Hebrews 11:35 refers to women who received
        > some one raised from the dead and to "others" who endured torturing and did
        > not accept deliverance so they could obtain a better resurrection. The first
        > part could apply to 1 Kings 17:17-24 (a miracle of Elijah) and 2 Kings
        > 4:18-37) miracle of Elisha. The latter part of the verse could apply to the
        > story in 2 Maccabees 7:1-41 where a mother and her 7 sons were offered the
        > chance to eat pork and escape death but they refused because of the hope of
        > a better resurrection.

      • Kostas Papadopoulos
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 5 12:18 PM
          For me, since the Greek text, now found in the LXX we have, was good enough for Luke and Paul and the NT writers in general, is good enough for me too.

          --- Στις Τρίτ., 01/09/09, ο/η kg6gjr <kg6gjr@...> έγραψε:

          > Από: kg6gjr <kg6gjr@...>
          > Θέμα: [lxx] The LXX used as the OT for Christians
          > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups.com
          > Ημερομηνία: Τρίτη, 1 Σεπτέμβριος 2009, 20:07
          > Hello, my name is Michael, and I am
          > new to this group. I have recently started researching
          > issues related to the LXX. I am a Protestant Christian, and
          > more specifically part of the Calvary Chapel movement. I
          > mention that so all will know where I am coming from.
          > Although I can read Hebrew & Greek, I am by no means a
          > scholar, but I do consider myself a student of scripture. My
          > training in Bible college taught me that the MT test should
          > be used as the base text for the OT. However, I have
          > discovered that the NT authors used the LXX extensively in
          > quotes, allusions, and in vocabulary. I have read arguments
          > ranging from the LXX being inspired, to the LXX being a
          > fraud. I have also heard arguments that the MT has been
          > corrupted, either intentionally or unintentionally. Some
          > feel that the addition of vowel points has hopelessly
          > corrupted the MT. I would like to hear the positions the
          > group has on these issues. Should the MT text be used as our
          > OT, or should LXX be used? Should the base be the MT with
          > the LXX supplementary, or should the LXX be the base text
          > with the MT used supplementary? I do agree that Hebrew was
          > the original language of the OT, but which text is closer to
          > that original Hebrew? I apologize for being long winded. I
          > am sure all of you have been through these issues a thousand
          > times. It is something I am sincerely wrestling with, and I
          > ask for your patience to perhaps answer these questions for
          > the 1,001st time.
          > Thanks,
          > Michael

          >     mailto:lxx-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com