Re: [lxx] Which English Version?

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
      Without getting into a sticky-wicket but what is Macedonian? Last I heard Macedonian was Greek? Are you talking about FYROM? If so, the langauage is Old Slavanic. There is no such thing as Macedonian, unless you mean Greek. Bye.

      Peter A. Papoutsis
      The Law Offices of Nicholas C. Syregelas
      19 North Green Street
      Chicago, IL  60607
      1(312) 243-0900
      1(312) 243-0901 - fax

      This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and delete the original message from your system.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@...> wrote:

        > Without getting into a sticky-wicket but what is Macedonian? Last I heard Macedonian was Greek? Are you talking about FYROM? If so, the langauage is Old Slavanic. There is no such thing as Macedonian, unless you mean Greek. Bye.

        Maybe I have my terminology wrong. I know of some folks from Macedonia (a woman and her mother). They say they are from a Macedonian Orthodox church (in Macedonia) but here in the U.S. the daughter goes to a Roman Catholic Church and her children have been baptized in a Roman Catholic Church. From what I understand, they say their language is Macedonian.

        I thought there was a Macedonian language. Wikipedia (which can be not reliable) says this about the Macedonian language:

        "Macedonian (Mk-Makedonski jazik.ogg македонски јазик (help·info), IPA: [maˈkɛdɔnski ˈjazik]) is the official language of Republic of Macedonia and is a part of the Eastern group of South Slavic languages. Macedonian is closely related to and shares a high degree of mutual intelligibility with the Bulgarian language and to a certain extent with Serbian and Croatian languages.

        The Macedonian language is a subject of controversy with Macedonia's neighbouring countries: Greeks challenge the legitimacy of its name, while many Bulgarians deny its separateness from Bulgarian."
      • Peter Papoutsis
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
          "The Macedonian language is a subject of controversy with Macedonia's neighbouring countries: Greeks challenge the legitimacy of its name, while many Bulgarians deny its separateness from Bulgarian."

          Bingo! Its hard as aGreek to think of a separate Macedonian country when we were brought up thinking it was Northern Greece and Macedonian was just a dialect just like the Attic dialect of Athens and the Spartan dialect of Sparta and modern day Mani. Like a said a sticky-wicket. For a Greek its had to understand how a southern slavic langauage an be Macedonian when I and other Greeks associate all things Macedonian with Greek and Greece.

          Further, the legitimacy of the so-called Macedonian Orthodox Church is greatly disputed between Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece with Bulgaria having the most legitimate claim as the so-called Macedonian language is simply a western dialect of Bulgarian a Slavic Non-Greek Langauage.
          The Macedonian Church is legitimatley part of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, and nothing more.

          Peter A. Papoutsis
          The Law Offices of Nicholas C. Syregelas
          19 North Green Street
          Chicago, IL  60607
          1(312) 243-0900
          1(312) 243-0901 - fax

          This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. If you are not the addressee or the intended recipient of this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, then be notified hereby that any dissemination or duplication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please telephone us immediately, return the message to the sender, and delete the original message from your system.

          > Without getting into a sticky-wicket but what is Macedonian? Last I heard Macedonian was Greek? Are you talking about FYROM? If so, the langauage is Old Slavanic. There is no such thing as Macedonian, unless you mean Greek. Bye.

          Maybe I have my terminology wrong. I know of some folks from Macedonia (a woman and her mother). They say they are from a Macedonian Orthodox church (in Macedonia) but here in the U.S. the daughter goes to a Roman Catholic Church and her children have been baptized in a Roman Catholic Church. From what I understand, they say their language is Macedonian.

          I thought there was a Macedonian language. Wikipedia (which can be not reliable) says this about the Macedonian language:

          "Macedonian (Mk-Makedonski jazik.ogg ма к&# 1077;д о&# 1085;с к&# 1080; ја з&# 1080;к (help·info), IPA: [maˈk&# 603;dɔ nski ˈjazik] ) is the official language of Republic of Macedonia and is a part of the Eastern group of South Slavic languages. Macedonian is closely related to and shares a high degree of mutual intelligibility with the Bulgarian language and to a certain extent with Serbian and Croatian languages.