[lxx] Re: LXX of the Orthodox Church

  • james and tatyana miller
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 1999
      Dr. Saley:

      Let me first state, in answer to your inquiry, that I do not know of any
      study of the textual characteristics of the LXX version used by the
      Orthodox Church. If there were such a study, I would love to read it. If
      someone from the list can point to one, please do.

      In lieu of a more positive answer to your question, let me ask some further
      clarification on your request. At the same time I will point to a few
      further considerations. Perhaps this will generate a dialogue that could
      help inform on this and related matters.

      I want to first ask what you have in mind when you mention the "LXX version
      of the Orthodox Church"? You could have a certain historical period in
      mind; or perhaps you are speaking of contemporary times? Additionally, when
      you mention "LXX version" do you perhaps have in mind a general conception
      of a book corresponding to modern Bibles, or at least to the OT portion of
      modern Bibles?

      There are currently efforts afoot in certain Orthodox circles (in America,
      so far as I know) to translate an edition of the LXX into English, for
      example. This group is using Rahlfs' edition, a text which would contain
      all the textual characteristics you mentioned, since it constitutes a
      critical--though provisional--text upon which subsequent attempts (the
      Gottingen Unternehmen) to reconstitute the OG could be based. For obvious
      reasons I don't think one could meaningfully speak of the Rahlfs edition as
      an LXX version used historically by the Orthodox Church--it was only first
      published in the 1930's, after all. In the modern Greek Church, I doubt
      whether the OT as a book to itself--whether or not it be one half of a
      larger work containing the NT such as would correspond with what moderns
      think of as the Bible--really exists. Instead, what there is of the OT
      would be portions from various biblical books, typically incorporated into
      other, liturgical books (e.g. the menaion or triodion) in the context of
      the particular service (e.g., vespers) at which they would be read. I'm
      more familiar with contemporary Russian liturgical practice than with
      Greek, so if anyone has corrections or qualifications of what I have said
      about scripture use in the Greek Church, please offer them. I give Greek
      practice as a paradigm because Russian practice, involving translation of
      the texts in question, presenta a more complex picture.

      This leads into the historical dimension of your question--if there is one.
      What would have been known from our Bible to the majority of people in past
      ages (pre-printing press times) would have been precisely those portions
      which were read in public worship services. These actually comprised a very
      limited part of our present-day OT--maybe 1/10th. Fuller collections
      approaching the scope of our modern OT's would have been a real rarity. The
      portions of the OT which were read in public worship were collected into a
      single volume starting in about the 9th century (the "Prophetologion"). If
      one uses "Bible" in the sense of a collection of biblical writings widely
      known and read (or at least heard), then this collection could be called
      the "Bible" of the Orthodox Church of those times (9th - 16th centuries).
      I've done some study of it, and it too seems to be an eclectic text, not
      strictly related to any of the text types you mentioned--though the
      Lucianic would probably predominate. Also, this is likely the OT text whose
      portions were later (with the advent of the printing press) incorporated
      into the liturgical books I mentioned above.

      I'm sorry I can't give a clearer answer: maybe someone else can say
      something more to the point. But I hope this helps. If I have misunderstood
      your questions, please feel free to point this out and I will try and
      respond accordingly.

      Sincerely, James Miller

      At 04:19 PM 9/30/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >Does anyone know of a study of the textual characteristics (e.g., OG,
      >kaige, Lucianic, hexaplaric, etc.) of the version of the LXX used by the
      >Orthodox Church?
      >
      >Any information would be much appreciated.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >Dick Saley

      >| Richard J. Saley, Ph.D. Tel: 617-495-4239 |
      >| The Semitic Museum Fax: 617-496-8904 |
      >| Harvard University saley@... |
      >| Six Divinity Avenue |
      >| Cambridge, MA 02138 USA |

      >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/lxx

    • welovegod
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 1999
        There is much to say. Brenton preformed a
        translation.. crude but enlightening.it was a
        literal translation. The only reference to this
        where iI know to get it is at SOutheastern
        College in Lakekand Forida, but i suspect others
        have a copy.

        I want to talk to the Sernian Orthodox community
        to get their oldest book. I have a hunch they
        have the original.

        Stephen P. O'Leary

        --- james and tatyana miller <jamtat@...>

        =====

      • welovegod
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 1999
          There is much to say. Brenton preformed a
          translation.. crude but enlightening.it was a
          literal translation. The only reference to this
          where iI know to get it is at SOutheastern
          College in Lakekand Forida, but i suspect others
          have a copy.

          I want to talk to the Serbian Orthodox community

          wrote:
> [...]
          > mentioned--though the
          > Lucianic would probably predominate. Also, this
          > is likely the OT text whose
          > portions were later (with the advent of the
          > printing press) incorporated
          > into the liturgical books I mentioned above.
          >
          > I'm sorry I can't give a clearer answer: maybe
          > someone else can say
          > something more to the point. But I hope this
          > helps. If I have misunderstood
          > your questions, please feel free to point this
          > out and I will try and
          > respond accordingly.
          >
          > Sincerely, James Miller
          >
          > At 04:19 PM 9/30/99 -0400, you wrote:
          > >Does anyone know of a study of the textual
          > characteristics (e.g., OG,
          > >kaige, Lucianic, hexaplaric, etc.) of the
          > version of the LXX used by the
          > >Orthodox Church?
          > >
          > >Any information would be much appreciated.

          =====

        • welovegod
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 1999
            There is much to say. Brenton performed a
            translation.. crude but enlightening. It was a
            literal translation. The only reference copy to
            this that I know about is at SouthEastern College

            wrote:
> [...]
            > mentioned--though the
            > Lucianic would probably predominate. Also, this
            > is likely the OT text whose
            > portions were later (with the advent of the
            > printing press) incorporated
            > into the liturgical books I mentioned above.
            >
            > I'm sorry I can't give a clearer answer: maybe
            > someone else can say
            > something more to the point. But I hope this
            > helps. If I have misunderstood
            > your questions, please feel free to point this
            > out and I will try and
            > respond accordingly.
            >
            > Sincerely, James Miller
            >
            > At 04:19 PM 9/30/99 -0400, you wrote:
            > >Does anyone know of a study of the textual
            > characteristics (e.g., OG,
            > >kaige, Lucianic, hexaplaric, etc.) of the
            > version of the LXX used by the
            > >Orthodox Church?
            > >
            > >Any information would be much appreciated.

            =====

          • Joseph Crea
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 1, 1999
              Hello Stephen!

              At 06:53 PM 10/1/99 -0700, Stephen P. O'Leary wrote:

              >O'Leary:
              >There is much to say. Brenton performed a
              >translation.. crude but enlightening. It was a
              >literal translation. The only reference copy to
              >this that I know about is at SouthEastern College
              >in Lakekand Forida, but I suspect others have a
              >copy.

              CREA
              For what it's worth, Brenton's translation has been reprinted by
              Hendrickson Publishers (ISBN 0-913573-44-2) and retails for $44.95.
              Christian Book Distributors (<http://www.christianbook.com>) carries it
              (catalog #73442) at the discounted price of $24.95. Hope that this helps.
              BTW, any particular reason why you sent 3 copies of this to the list?

              With Mettaa,

              Joseph Crea
              <Joseph.Crea@...>
            • welovegod
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 1, 1999
                I corrected my spelling errors.

                The second one said Serbian rather than Sernian.
                (though i expect the church migrated north, and
                the actual syrians were the Greek Orthodox and
                now the Serbian.

                The third fixed up some spelling errors.

                --- Joseph Crea <Joseph.Crea@...>
                wrote:
                > Hello Stephen!
                >
                > At 06:53 PM 10/1/99 -0700, Stephen P. O'Leary
                > wrote:
                >
                > >O'Leary:
                > >There is much to say. Brenton performed a
                > >translation.. crude but enlightening. It was a
                > >literal translation. The only reference copy
                > >this that I know about is at SouthEastern
                > College
                > >in Lakekand Forida, but I suspect others have
                > >copy.
                >
                > CREA
                > For what it's worth, Brenton's translation
                > has been reprinted by
                > Hendrickson Publishers (ISBN 0-913573-44-2)
                > and retails for $44.95.
                > Christian Book Distributors
                > (<http://www.christianbook.com>) carries it
                > (catalog #73442) at the discounted price of
                > $24.95. Hope that this helps.
                > BTW, any particular reason why you sent 3
                > copies of this to the list?
                >

                > With Mettaa,
                >
                > Joseph Crea
                > <Joseph.Crea@...>

                > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805
                >

                > eGroups.com home:
                > http://www.egroups.com/group/lxx
                > http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group
                > communications

                =====

              • Richard J Saley
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 4, 1999
                  Dear James Miller,

                  Thanks for your lengthy and informative response to my query about the
                  textual characteristics of the LXX of the Orthodox Church. In answer to
                  your question, I was assuming--incorrectly as I am finding out--that the
                  LXX of the Orthodox Chruch is a monolithic whole and that that presumed
                  standard text was the basis for the Orthodox Study Bible Old Testament
                  Project described in www.lxx.org. Do I understand you correctly that that
                  translation project is based on Rhalfs?

                  Cheers,
                  Dick Saley

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 4, 1999
                    My expectations is this. The Greek Septuagint is
                    called LXX, L for the name of the Lord(50), and XX the
                    roman numerals for ecah hand, five points describe it:
                    4 fingers and a thumb. SO LXX translated literately
                    means Lord's hands, colloquily described in Exodus
                    30'2 as written with finger of G-d.
                    If we believe the scriptures(i expect that is why
                    most of us are here today), then two things are known:

                    (1) The tablets/books given by the Lord to
                    Moses(Moshe) are lost. Are they in possession of some
                    church body, forgotten or concealed?

                    (2) The Septuagint historically was written down in
                    ~250 BC by the Greeks with asitance from the king of
                    ISrael or their preistly leadership (likely the same)

                    In any case, these artifacts might have be held
                    through the ages.. I suspect them or at least on eof
                    them to be the earliest/oldest transciption, and to be
                    in possession of the old Greek Orthodox church, which
                    moved to Serbia. That is my statement of my concern.
                    Christian Churches there date to the earliest period
                    of our known world of that era.

                    ALso is the Dead Sea Scrolls, at essenes, whihc
                    translated properly mean essence, the ssence of our
                    existence is what the Lord God is, isn't it?

                    I aintain a belief that the first two books weer
                    written doen from an oral history delivered unto
                    Moses, but alas, the meaning escaped his understanding
                    and he failed miserably in the interpretation or that
                    of his successors.

                    Feel fre to dicuss tehse matters with me, for i seek
                    only the truth of things.

                    Steve O'Leary

                    =====

                  • Roger L.. Kimmel
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 1999
                      I believe this is enough. Matters of faith and personal opinion do not
                      belong in these discussions, properly scholarly in content. I suggest some
                      remedial English for this individual.

                      Roger L. Kimmel, M.D.

> [...]
                      > > printing press) incorporated
                      > > >into the liturgical books I mentioned above.
                      > > >
                      > > >I'm sorry I can't give a clearer answer: maybe
                      > > someone else can say
                      > > >something more to the point. But I hope this helps.
                      > > If I have misunderstood
                      > > >your questions, please feel free to point this out
                      > > and I will try and
                      > > >respond accordingly.
                      > > >
                      > > >Sincerely, James Miller

                      > > characteristics (e.g., OG,
                      > > of the LXX used by the

                      > > ---

                      > > saley@... |

                      > > ---

                      > > communications

                      > > >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/lxx
                      > > >http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group
                      > > communications

                      ---
                      > > | Richard J. Saley, Ph.D. Tel: 617-495-4239

                    • james miller
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 5, 1999
                        At 09:49 PM 10/4/99 -0500, you wrote:
                        >I believe this is enough. Matters of faith and personal opinion do not
                        >belong in these discussions, properly scholarly in content. I suggest some
                        >remedial English for this individual.
                        >
                        >Roger L. Kimmel, M.D.

                        Dear Dr. Kimmel:

                        Thanks for your feedback. Joel and I will be discussing the matter and will
                        act accordingly.

                        James Miller, moderator

                        PS A response will be coming soon to Dr. Saley's last inquiry. My apologies
                        for the delay
                      • welovegod
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 5, 1999
                          Mr Kimmel,

                          You will not receive any respect from me in your
                          blasphemous commentary. If I needed to speak clearly,
                          then I expect a cognisant reply.

                          Writing after 30-40 hours of continous labor may make
                          spelling mistakes slip by, however it DOES NOT change
                          the meaning. I fully admit my failures in this regard,
                          for it does speak less of my mind to write with such
                          error of spelling.

                          The scribes that wrote the bible, themsleves made
                          errors suh as this, it showed that they were men, and
                          only inpired by the Lord. Your inability to comprehend
                          meaning or your acrimanation in delivering retorts of
                          disputable character, lies clearly within your own
                          ignorance.

                          Should I have placed this message that I wrote the
                          other nightin a spelling checker, the words and
                          characters would be properly aligned and sequenced.

                          I have no respect for a short sighted man who offers
                          no practical advice in this regard, but nly
                          acriminations.

                          You, sir, have no business being here.

                          Stephen Paul O'Leary

                          =====

                        • Steve Puluka
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 5, 1999
                            I am a member of the Eastern Churches. I teach our theology, spirituality
                            and prayer. I lead my congregation as a cantor in my parish. In my own
                            study of my Eastern Churches tradition, Jellicoe, �The Septuagint in Modern
                            Study� has proved useful. I am not aware of a study that details what text
                            traditions are used in our various churches.

                            In the United States my jurisdiction is currently undergoing a complete
                            review of English translations in our Liturgical services. I have heard
                            from a member of this Liturgical Commission that the scripture quotations
                            used in various services, and even different parts of the same service, can
                            be traced to different text sources. The Byzantine Text form is the
                            standard text for the Septuagint for Orthodox churchs founded from
                            Constantinople. This would include Greece and all of Eastern Europe. This
                            text is incorporates a collection of Origens and Theodotion�s revisions to
                            the original text.

                            When speaking of the Septuagint of the Orthodox Church first one must
                            remember that the LXX or New Testament as a separate work and object of
                            study is not really the way of the Christian east. We approach these works
                            historically through the act of worship. Our liturgical services are the
                            expression and understanding of scripture and they are how we learn
                            scripture and pass this knowledge on to future generations. This is why I
                            approach textual issues in my church from the point of view of liturgy and
                            the lectionary. This is an approach we inherited from the Jewish faith, see
                            Jellicoe pp.64-73.

                            I submit that the liturgical use of the text is the only real use in the
                            Orthodox Church History. We preserve the text as a voice against heresy
                            along with the Patristic literature but the liturgy of the Church is where
                            we "teach" scripture.

                            The three major recensions of the LXX are well treated by Jellicoe p. 134
                            and p. 344. In reviewing the other texts one must view the list from the
                            point of view of geography of expansion from the Patriachates. Alexandria
                            moves south, Antioch moves to Constantinople, the slavs and east.
                            Patrisitic use of the texts in the east is covered on page 349.

                            This can also occur in the Lectionary itself. You will note from Jellicoe's
                            study (and Metzgers Early Versions of the New Testament) that much of the
                            Slavonic translation of scripture is based on the Vulgate rather than
                            theSeptuagint directly. Therefore, Eastern Churches from slavic countries
                            have a different text usage than those from Greece, the middle east or
                            Egyptian varieties.

                            Note that John Chrysostom of Antioch, later Patriach of Constantinople, is a
                            powerful witness to the LXX in his writings. He is also the author of the
                            anaphora used in most Byzantine Divine Liturgies today. His text for the
                            Liturgy is filled with LXX quotes and allusions.

                            The Christian East is a confederation of sister churches. We each have our
                            own discipline and control with only a kind of moral support from the other
                            Patriachs. This includes the scripture texts. Each group is using the
                            translation of scriputure into their mother tongue. The major versions of
                            these are noted well Chapter 8 the versions. We have all moved forward from
                            these.

                            My own jurisdiction (Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic) used the Church Slavonic
                            version of scripture exclusively until the move to the united states about
                            100 years ago. In English we have relied on Catholic versions to fill our
                            needs. Indeed, Jellicoe notes that much of our Slavonic text is from the
                            Vulgate anyway.

                            against the MT. The council of Jerusalem in 1672 settled this question
                            officially. Unfortunately, none of the sources I have on hand include the
                            full text of this council. None of the summaries mention the specific text
                            accepted, if any. Trent makes the Vulgate the final version for Roman
                            catholics but I believe the Orthodox situation will prove less clear. See
                            the Catholic Encyclopedia article on Jerusalem. The text variants in use by
                            the various jurisdictions have never been officially addressed.

                            http://www.newadvent.com/cathen/

                            I am not aware of any critical apparatus for Orthodox versions of the LXX.
                            I'm sure you are aware of Rahlf's as the basic option commonly available.

                            Patristic writers are indeed a rich source of quotations from the
                            Septuagint. We can see the various text forms in their writings based on
                            where they are from. When Chrysostom�s quotes of the septuagint vary from
                            the received Byzantine form I�m told they match the Alexandrius version. We
                            did however, preserve the various texts of the Septuagint in various
                            jurisdictions. There is no need to reconstruct a text out of the
                            commentaris, homilies or other Patristic usage.

                            The LXX.org is a project by the Antiochian church. This is a wonderful
                            contribution to the understanding of the scriptures for the Christian East.
                            They appear to be using the received text for the translation. But I will
                            be checking the existing translations against my copy of Brenton�s and
                            Rahlf�s text to attempt confirm this.

                            While I did not know about this project, Father Sparks is a familiar
                            figure. He is the editor of the current translations we have of the
                            Apostolic Fathers published by Light and Life Publications in Minneapolis.
                            This is a great source for information about the Eastern Christian
                            Churches.

                            http://www.light-n-life.com

                            You may also be interested in the work of the International Organization for
                            Septuagint and Cognate Studies.

                            http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/ioscs/

                            Membership is very inexpensive and their annual publication of student
                            papers are announced every fall.

                            Steve Puluka
                            Adult Education Instructor & Cantor

                          • james miller
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 6, 1999
                              Dr. Saley:

                              My contact with the lxx.org people has indicated to me that they are,
                              indeed, using Rahlfs in translating their Orthodox Study Bible OT.

                              Arkadi has made an important contribution to this discussion in pointing to
                              the range of patristic OT commentary, which does, in fact, cover a much
                              wider span of biblical material than the Prophetologion I referred to. One
                              reason I didn't mention this in my answer is because, in discussions of
                              text character, raising the issue of patristic witness to scripture can
                              complicate the issue immensely. First, it is sometimes the case that
                              different Fathers cite from different textual witnesses. For example,
                              Origen might cite from the Hexapla and John Chrysostom from Lucian. Then,
                              there are instances in which a patristic figure who normally cites from one
                              of these witnesses might throw in a citation from Theodotion or Aquila out
                              of the blue. Additionally, the practice of paraphrase often employed in
                              patristic commentary/citation (not to mention the not unkown instances of
                              deliberate misquotation of a passage) makes determining the text character
                              underlying such citations virtually impossible. Probably a separate study
                              would be necessary for each patristic commentator on the issue of the
                              character of the text on which they are commenting. But of course this does
                              not nullify Arkadi's point that the range of biblical literature dealt with
                              by Christians was much wider than the scope of scriptural passages
                              contained in service books and read in public worship. I would point out
                              though, that my cursory exploration of scripture citation frequency
                              indicates that those portions read publicly were the most frequently cited
                              and commented on (e.g., Pss, Isa, Gen, Prov etc.).

                              In reference to my initial answer, I must note that I saw in the initial
                              question a modern conception of the Bible as a sort of "everyman's book."
                              This conception of the Bible only really arises with the advent of the
                              printing press and even more so with the efforts of the Bible Societies of
                              the 19th century, whose express aim was to make the scriptures available to
                              all everywhere, regardless of social rank, economic standing or language.
                              This effort was complemented by drives to increase the rate of literacy.
                              Owing to these factors, the modern situation, both with respect to
                              availability of the biblical text as well as with reference to levels of
                              literacy, is unprecedented historically. Thus a real question remains about
                              the extent to which we can employ our current conceptions of "Bible" when
                              dealing with
                              certain historical periods. In aiming for a simple answer, I tried to
                              discern what could have corresponded to the concept of "Bible"--both in
                              terms of containing texts included in modern Bibles, as well as being
                              widely available and known--in more remote periods of history.
                              Consideration of the difficulty and expense involved in producing books in
                              pre-printing press times, when taken together with the accompanying low
                              literacy rates, suggests publicly read biblical material as the most likely
                              candidate for the corresponding "biblical everyman's book" for those times.
                              Drawing such a connection is not without its problems, as I would readily
                              admit. Arkadi's comments underline their speculative nature and,
                              ultimately, highlight the fundamental resistance of the historical record
                              to modern preconceptions.

                              James Miller

                              PS Steve Puluka: are you aware of the liturgical material being translated
                              and published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery (Old Calendar Greek) in
                              Brookline? They are currently translating scripture readings for their
                              menaion, and I was able to bring Zuntz's critical edition of the
                              Prophetologion to their attention for this project.

                              Also, you state that: "You will note from Jellicoe's
                              study (and Metzgers Early Versions of the New Testament) that much of the
                              Slavonic translation of scripture is based on the Vulgate rather than the
                              Septuagint directly." Can you supply me with the references from these
                              scholars' works? Thanks.

                              And finally, when you say "Byzantine text", aren't you mixing up a NT text
                              type with the LXX? I don't believe I've ever heard any LXX text type
                              referred to as "Byzantine."
                            • dkuc076@aix2.uottawa.ca
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 7, 1999
                                Dear Steve Puluka,

                                I would just like to comment on something you wrote. You mentioned
                                twice that "much of" the Slavonic translation of the LXX was based on the
                                Vulgate.

                                I would like to point out that the version you are referring to is
                                known as "The Ostroh Bible" which is a complete translation of the entire
                                Bible (at least as it was known to the Slavs of the 16th century). If I'm
                                not mistaken, it was the first major work to be printed in Church
                                Slavonic. It was reprinted by St. Vladimir's College (Winnipeg, MA) in
                                honor of the millenium of Christianity in the lands of the Kievan
                                tradition. This text, however, is less than practical: it is an extremely
                                large and heavy tome and, since the it is merely a reprint, the Slavonic
                                print is very difficult to read (lacking the crispness found in modern
                                books, such as the liturgical books published by Rome).

                                In the 18th century (I think), the Slavonic Bible was revised and
                                republished. This "corrected" and "updated" edition is known as the
                                Elizabethan Bible. One of the most salient features of this revision is
                                that the editors retranslated those books that were based on the Vulgate
                                in the Ostroh version (in the main, these were the deuterocanonicals). In
                                fact, at the end of each of these books, there is a note stating that they
                                were retranslated "according to the Alexandrian version".

                                So, the whole point of this rather long-winded excursus is to
                                explain that it is incorrect to say that "much of" the Slavonic version is
                                based on the Vulgate. First of all, it was really only a few of the
                                deuterocanonicals; secondly, the "modern" Slavonic version (if anything in
                                Slavonic can be considered "modern") has corrected this inconsistency.

                                Incidentally, the Elizabethan Bible published in 1905 continues to
                                be reprinted in St. Petersburg in a very handsome and readable edition
                                which includes lists of all the OT and NT readings prescribed throughout
                                the church year. I believe it is available from the United Bible
                                Societies.

                                --DK

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 7, 1999
                                  DK:

                                  Do I understand correctly that you're saying that the only part of the
                                  Ostrog Bible that was translated from the Vulgate were the so-called
                                  Deuterocanonical books? If so, this implies that the rest of the Ostrog
                                  Bible was a translation from some other biblical manuscript, and thus from
                                  a different (from Latin) language. Can you say anything about what the
                                  remainder of the Ostrog Bible (i.e., other than the Deuterocanonicals) was
                                  a translation of?

                                  Thanks, James Miller
                                • Richard J Saley
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 12, 1999
                                    I want to thank most sincerely those of you who have taken the time and
                                    effort to respond to my query about the textual characteristics of the LXX
                                    of the Orthodox Church. What at the time seemed to me to be a simple
                                    question has unmasked a very complex situation and I have learned much from
                                    your willingness to explain the transmission of the biblical text
                                    historically as an outgrowth of the role(s) assigned to it within the
                                    Orthodox communities.

                                    The real beneficiaries, of course, will be my students to whom I shall pass
                                    along--faithfully, I hope--what I have learned.

                                    With best wishes,
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 12, 1999
                                      Dear Dr. Saley:

                                      Thanks for your questions! You generated some interesting discussion here.
                                      Any further questions or comments you might have would be most welcome.

                                      James Miller