Re: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos

  • Kostas Papadopoulos
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 2, 2009
      Hi,
      The word itself means not-formed (a=<negative prefix> + plastos=formated [from the v. plasso = to form]). Since it is possible for "plastos" to have the meaning of "fabricated" according to Hesychius lexicon (5th c. AD)ie. not the truth (Aesch.) - "a-plastos" could have the - metaphorical - meanning of "truthful" and could me a possible rendering of "thm".
      "Simple" in Greek is "aplous" (not-complicated, from nevative "a" + plous=multi (like in "multi-plication"). The two words aplous/aplastos seem related but not directly).

      See also:
      Hesychious lexicon
      5123 απλαστος (aplastos)
      ἄ-πλαστος, ον, not moulded, i. e. in its natural state, natural, unaffected, Plut.

      --- Στις Κυρ., 31/05/09, ο/η James <jamesjay@...> έγραψε:

      > Από: James <jamesjay@...>
      > Θέμα: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
      > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups.com
      > Ημερομηνία: Κυριακή, 31 Μάιος 2009, 4:13
      > Hello all;
      >
      > New to this group
      >
      > James Kirby
      >
      > Could anyone offer help on a word in Gen 25:27. The word is
      > "aplastos".
      > I cannot find any reference to this word in any lexicon
      > & my copy of the
      > LXX does not give a Strong's #. The Hebrew word is "tam"
      > Strong's # 8535
      > but I cannot find the  Greek "aplastos".
      >
      > Thank you;
      > James

      >     mailto:lxx-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
    • James
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 2, 2009
        Thank you very much. Most helpful!

        James Kirby

        Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:

        > Hi,
        > The word itself means not-formed (a=<negative prefix> +
        > plastos=formated [from the v. plasso = to form]). Since it is possible
        > for "plastos" to have the meaning of "fabricated" according to
        > Hesychius lexicon (5th c. AD)ie. not the truth (Aesch.) - "a-plastos"
        > could have the - metaphorical - meanning of "truthful" and could me a
        > possible rendering of "thm".
        > "Simple" in Greek is "aplous" (not-complicated, from nevative "a" +
        > plous=multi (like in "multi-plication" ). The two words
        > aplous/aplastos seem related but not directly).
        >
        > See also:
        > Hesychious lexicon
        > 5123 απλαστος (aplastos)
        > ἄ-πλαστος, ον, not moulded, i. e. in its natural state, natural,
        > unaffected, Plut.
        >
        > --- Στις Κυρ., 31/05/09, ο/η James <jamesjay@paonline. com
        > <mailto:jamesjay%40paonline.com>> έγραψε:
        >
        > > Από: James <jamesjay@paonline. com <mailto:jamesjay%40paonline.com>>
        > > Θέμα: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
        > > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups. com <mailto:lxx%40yahoogroups.com>
        > > Ημερομηνία: Κυριακή, 31 Μάιος 2009, 4:13
        > > Hello all;
        > >
        > > New to this group
        > >
        > > James Kirby
        > >
        > > Could anyone offer help on a word in Gen 25:27. The word is
        > > "aplastos".
        > > I cannot find any reference to this word in any lexicon
        > > & my copy of the
        > > LXX does not give a Strong's #. The Hebrew word is "tam"
        > > Strong's # 8535
        > > but I cannot find the Greek "aplastos".
        > >
        > > Thank you;
        > > James

        > > mailto:lxx-fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com
        > <mailto:lxx-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

        > Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
        > Βαρεθήκατε τα ενοχλητικά μηνύματα (spam); Το Yahoo! Mail
        > διαθέτει την καλύτερη δυνατή προστασία κατά των ενοχλητικών
        > μηνυμάτων http://login. yahoo.com/ config/mail? .intl=gr
        > <http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=gr>

      • Branka ARRIVE
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 2, 2009
          The two words ("haplous" and "aplastos") are not related at all. The "a" in "haplous" is from Indoeuropean *sem/sm*- (one, single) like in Latin "simplex" (those two words ARE related), whereas the "a" in "aplastos" is alpha privativum.

          The word itself means not-formed (a=<negative prefix> + plastos=formated [from the v. plasso = to form]). Since it is possible for "plastos" to have the meaning of "fabricated" according to Hesychius lexicon (5th c. AD)ie. not the truth (Aesch.) - "a-plastos" could have the - metaphorical - meanning of "truthful" and could me a possible rendering of "thm".
          "Simple" in Greek is "aplous" (not-complicated, from nevative "a" + plous=multi (like in "multi-plication"). The two words aplous/aplastos seem related but not directly).

          See also:
          Hesychious lexicon
          5123 απλαστος (aplastos)
          ἄ-πλαστος, ον, not moulded, i. e. in its natural state, natural, unaffected, Plut.

          --- Στις Κυρ., 31/05/09, ο/η James <jamesjay@...> έγραψε:

          > Από: James <jamesjay@...>
          > Θέμα: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
          > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups.com
          > Ημερομηνία: Κυριακή, 31 Μάιος 2009, 4:13
          > Hello all;
          >
          > New to this group
          >
          > James Kirby
          >
          > Could anyone offer help on a word in Gen 25:27. The word is
          > "aplastos".
          > I cannot find any reference to this word in any lexicon
          > & my copy of the
          > LXX does not give a Strong's #. The Hebrew word is "tam"
          > Strong's # 8535
          > but I cannot find the Greek "aplastos".
          >
          > Thank you;
          > James

          > mailto:lxx-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;

          La Base de données des virus a expiré.
          Analyse effectuée par AVG - http://www.avg.fr
          Version: 8.0.176 / Base de données virale: 270.12.24/2107 - Date: 10/05/2009 07:02

        • George Blaisdell
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 2, 2009
            Thank-you for a singularly helpful post,

            That a-privative was bothering me...

            As applied to women, then, what meaning can we ascribe?

            Arsenios

            George Blaisdell
            Roslyn, WA

            To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
            From: el504@...
            Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 01:51:39 -0700

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 2, 2009
              I'm not so sure about that.
              I think that the spelling "ha-plous" is deceiving.
              --- Στις Τρίτ., 02/06/09, ο/η Branka ARRIVE <branka@...> έγραψε:

              > Από: Branka ARRIVE <branka@...>
              > Θέμα: Re: [lxx] Gen 25:27 aplastos
              > Προς: lxx@yahoogroups.com
              > Ημερομηνία: Τρίτη, 2 Ιούνιος 2009, 18:50
              > The two words ("haplous" and
              > "aplastos") are not related at all. The "a" in "haplous" is
              > from Indoeuropean *sem/sm*- (one, single) like in Latin
              > "simplex" (those two words ARE related), whereas the "a" in
              > "aplastos" is alpha privativum.

              I'm not sure about that.
              "A" in a-plous is also likely to be a-privative:
              a-plous=simple/single (not-many)
              di-plous=double (two-many)
              tri-plous=triple (three-many)
              tetra-plous...
              penta-...
              etc. etc.

              "plous" is form "many", "multi", "additional", (in English "plus"). The word is related to "simple" / "simplex" in meaning and suffix, but the prefix....?

              Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;